Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Open Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-13, 10:52 AM   #25
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: Hey guys and gals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
More broadly: chronic kidney disease, smack dab borderline between stage 3 and stage 4. I prefer to use more specific terms like I did since there are oh so many things that can cause it - in this case it is caused by an antibody with a missing sugar molecule.
Sorry to hear that, bro...I will be praying for you on this...
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-13, 02:30 PM   #26
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

Their is a healing process that has only begun and this piece of steak can fix that.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 07-02-13, 10:38 PM   #27
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Sorry to hear that, bro...I will be praying for you on this...
Yeah kinda lame, and I just went stage 4. Stage 5 is imminent, so I either need a transplant or dialysis sometime in the near future. I've already received a referral to a transplant team, have a few people volunteered to donate their kidneys, but I don't think any of them would be allowed to donate (compatibility isn't a problem - there are exclusion criteria for giving kidneys in general though.) I'm not certain yet though. It's a wait and see game at this point.

I've come to realize something incredibly backwards about our society with regard to this. When you're on dialysis, working is HARD from what I understand. You have to go 3 times a week, and it basically ruins your whole day. It costs medicare around $100,000 per year for somebody to be on dialysis, and dialysis is for life. A kidney transplant however is a one time cost of $100,000.

Living donor kidneys last longer and work better than cadaverous kidneys, and only 3% of deaths make suitable cadaverous donors, so there aren't many available. Plus, you can't pull a organs out of a completely dead body, the person still has to be technically alive but merely brain dead and on life support at the time of harvesting. And even when the person volunteers as an organ donor, the family more often than not denies the medical team permission to harvest organs.

Having a living donor is by far the best. Yet to donate a kidney actually costs the living donor money - typically between $800 and $2,000 dollars, and that doesn't even include lost wages for being off of work. And you know what? It's against the law for me to compensate them for that financially. Apparently our society deems it immoral and wrong for me to do so.

It gets better. Surveys have found that people would donate their kidneys for $25,000. Society at large views that as immoral though, because you're "taking advantage" of the poor. Look at it this way though: Dialysis makes your life miserable. You are constantly drained of energy, you are only allowed small amounts of fluid as part of your diet, you have to rigorously control phosphorous, potassium, sodium, and protein intake, and over your lifespan you are looking at a cost of millions of dollars. In addition to that, your life expectancy is going to be much shorter.

If people could sell their kidneys (as well as liver lobes and other live tissues that you can donate) there would be a lot more of them, it would save tons and tons of money, vastly improve the lives of the recipients, and the person receiving the money....gets money. Three different parties benefit here; nobody loses. Your body has a robust renal system, and is built so that if you sustain an injury that causes one of your kidneys to quit working, the other one can take over completely and you'll never suffer any side effects. I mean $25,000 dollars is about what a teacher makes in a year. Hell, double it to $50,000 and you still save an assload of money, the donor gets paid and does a noble thing of saving somebody's life. But no, that's somehow wrong and an immoral abhorrent thing to do.

Women are allowed to sell their eggs, the extraction of which happens to be more dangerous and is a bigger strain on their body than donating a kidney. Yet it's allowed and is done. I mean what the ****?

And no, there's no concern about people stealing and selling kidneys. There never will be a day where somebody walks in with a bag of kidneys and hawks them on the black market, it's just too impractical. Kidney transplantation is a very delicate operation, and the lifespan of a kidney outside of a body is very short, and caring for it outside of a body is a very manual process as well. If you want, make it so that only the government is permitted to buy kidneys, and payment comes in the form of your next income tax return, and it's tax free. The government would gain tax revenue that way, not by a little but a LOT.

Waking up one day with a missing kidney is an urban myth by the way, it hasn't happened. There was a law and order episode of it once, which makes some people think it has happened, but it hasn't. There was also an incident where a man faked that somebody stole his kidney.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/robbery/kidney.asp

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:06 PM   #28
ALobpreis

Health is ruled by money. Everywhere. That's where you can see the worst of mankind.
ALobpreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 11:29 PM   #29
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I will be praying for you on this...
Amen.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-13, 01:31 PM   #30
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

I still have the worlds sexiest body.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives

Old 07-07-13, 01:33 PM   #31
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

http://youtu.be/iS6chrslAfo
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives

Old 07-07-13, 04:18 PM   #32
zer0
just breathe

i had my appendix removed last february. the incision is already healed now but the scar is pretty big. perks of aging.
Intel i5 (1155 Sandy) Quad Core @4.3Ghz + Antec 25 Kuhler 620 | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | AMD Radeon Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X 6Gb | CoolerMaster StormTrooper | Corsair TX850M 850w | Western Digital 500Gb Caviar Blue + 1.5Tb Caviar Black + 2Tb Caviar Green | Samsung 27" LED Monitor SA550 1920x1080 | Samsung 40" LED TV 5003 Series 1920x1080 | Creative SB X-fi Xtreme Music | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Razer DeathStalker Expert | Razer DeathAdder 2013 | CH Flightstick Pro | Logitech Driving Force GT
zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-14, 03:09 PM   #33
Rigel4
Peace

I've been thinking about you all lately too..

So hi and hopefully I can find the time to hang out here again.

It used to be great.
Rigel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 01:42 PM   #34
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel4 View Post
I've been thinking about you all lately too..

So hi and hopefully I can find the time to hang out here again.

It used to be great.
It still is great. I lurk more than anything else. Life is moving pretty fast for me, and I'm loving it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 01:33 AM   #35
ICE2K
AMAZON LUVA

Send a message via AIM to ICE2K
Wink Re: Hey guys and gals...

HEY GUYS......
8GB RAM
EVGA GTX 560 TI 1GB
DUAL 17" MONITORS
320,2X 1.5 TB SATA HD'S
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 300R