Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-03, 04:17 PM   #1
dropman

Question poor 2d performance?

I have noticed that when i minimize and hide windows from my KDE desktop, they are flickering. it also happens when i drag windows in KDE. I dont know is it nvidia drivers fault or my computer is too slow, but i do not like this flickering. in 3d mode i get 1000-1500 fps with glxgears.
my computer: P3 800, 256mb SDRAM, GF2MX400 (inno3D), slackware9.1 with latest kde version.
ps: i tried to turn on RenderAccel but it seems that there is no effect :\
dropman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-03, 04:28 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Try directly comparing the performance when using the 'nv' driver to the 'nvidia' driver in 2d with moving windows and doing some transparencies perhaps. You'll notice a big difference, unless something is really screwy. With the 'nvidia' driver it may still be slow, but should be alot faster than 'nv'.

The newest kde includes a whole lot of fancy eye candy. Have you limited some of that? Shadows, transparencies, etc. Its a sure bet that a GeF2 and P3 800 is going to feel a little slowdown when graphical sweetness is taken too far.

Also, remove any graphic from your desktop and see if you get the same behavior. Large image files used for backgrounds can definitely kill your 2d interface performance. The image must be redrawn from system memory when a window is moved or minimized.
Old 11-10-03, 03:28 PM   #3
dropman

I have noticed that on vesa driver there is almoust no flickering in 2d graphics, but when i turn on nvidia driver starts this stupid flickering
Old 11-10-03, 05:51 PM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Alright are you using the newest driver? That would be the 44.96 version. In the older drivers, just after nVidia introduced their own 2d implementation there were serious problems with flickering / 2d corruption / slow window redraws etc. This was around the 31.23 or something, carried on into some of the 4x.xx too I think. The RenderAccel option never made any difference for it for me, but some people said it did.
Old 11-11-03, 09:15 AM   #5
dropman

I am using latest drivers. And there is no difference when i turn RenderAccel on or off. Maybe this nvidia 3d acceleration does not start correctly? How do i can check if everything is loaded and started when xfree starts ? I suppose i should look in log file, but for what exactly i should look there?
Old 11-11-03, 09:36 AM   #6
dropman

I have found some other people reporting same problem as I:

Link1
Link2
Link3

i am starting to think that nvidia driver under linux sucks
Old 11-11-03, 10:48 AM   #7
waxor

Default Yay closed source

Yeah that is basically true, or alternately it is completely false. Since Nvidia refuses to open up thier drivers we really have no idea.

look here for some interesting cutting edge work that would fix flicker and add a lot of possiblility for eye candy to X:
http://log.ometer.com/2003-11.html#3
waxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 04:50 PM   #8
dropman

Quote:
look here for some interesting cutting edge work that would fix flicker and add a lot of possiblility for eye candy to X: http://log.ometer.com/2003-11.html#3
OK. I have installed xextensions and compositeext. But how to enable them? plz help

Old 11-11-03, 05:01 PM   #9
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Explore, by using cat, the /proc/driver/nvidia directory tree for some info about how its started up and running.

The output of glxinfo is also pretty informative, as well as the X log itself (/var/log/XFree86.0.log).
Old 11-12-03, 10:59 AM   #10
blaev

Quote:
Originally posted by dropman
I have found some other people reporting same problem as I:

Link1
Link2
Link3

i am starting to think that nvidia driver under linux sucks
I'm using nvidia drivers since 2000. I don't think these suck. In the drivers' README are versions of supported HW. Have you found Riva128 in that list? I did not.
Anyway, is Riva128 capable of 3D acceleration?
blaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 11:39 AM   #11
dropman

Quote:
my computer: P3 800, 256mb SDRAM, GF2MX400 (inno3D), slackware9.1 with latest kde version.
so?
Old 11-12-03, 06:19 PM   #12
waxor

Default Mine is better and umm, probably deeper.

Oh yeah well my box has, like, at least 50 screws. And they are all phillips head. and the sides are painted. P A I N T E D. It has 3 light on the front, no wait it has 4.
waxor is offline   Reply With Quote