Old 09-27-02, 01:45 PM   #49
jbirney

so why green? Bad see food
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-02, 02:35 PM   #50
MuFu
should be at a lecture

Size-envy of Bigus Dickus.

Anyway... back to the real word. CineFX, ooh! Yes... very nice... lalala...

MuFu.
MuFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 02:32 PM   #51
budd_wm
Grrrrrrrrrr......

I see the intelligence of the comeback arguement is....well, no comment. Word is, just wait, no one on the outside knows jack yet.
budd_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-02, 01:28 PM   #52
borntosoul

Wake up ,we are not getting cinema quality graphics YET ,get over the final fantasy rubbish ,and all these fancy effects cause theyre not coming to any games soon !
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 08:42 AM   #53
BladeRnR

Nice post. Given I'm a Systems Programmer (Not a graphics programmer by any means) I believe your statements concerning Nvidia's shaders and the way Programmers will utilise them for efficiency is very accurate. Given Nvidia's shading & vertex architecture and I can only imagine they'd be very flexible and programmed properly - damn fast.

Roll on Nv30

Cheers

BladeRnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 11:49 AM   #54
jbirney

Talk to any game developer and they will tell you there work is targeted at the base line spec of hardware which still today is not even fully DX8 thanks in part to the GF4 Mx.

This reminds me of the PS1.4 vrs PS1.3 arguments all over. ATI fans were singing high praises that PS1.4 was way more efficent than PS1.3. Now we have things reversed and its the other side signing the praises. Oh well....
Old 09-30-02, 12:13 PM   #55
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney
Talk to any game developer and they will tell you there work is targeted at the base line spec of hardware which still today is not even fully DX8 thanks in part to the GF4 Mx.

This reminds me of the PS1.4 vrs PS1.3 arguments all over. ATI fans were singing high praises that PS1.4 was way more efficent than PS1.3. Now we have things reversed and its the other side signing the praises. Oh well....
Actually, i think this is gonna change a little.

You see, there's no problem to write PS1.3 with DX9. And soon, they'll be mainstream.

You CAN do most effects with PS1.3 - they just won't look as good as on 1.4 or 2.0. See where i'm going? With HLSL coming ( Cg, DX9 one, GlSlang, ... ) , making a better version for the R300 and the NV30 shouldn't be too hard. ATI would have been very happy at the time they introduced PS1.4 if HLSL would have existed.

But then again, there IS one exception: branching.
A game got to be thinked with static branching in mind - and if you want dynamic branching, then you'll also have to think about it, and even more.

You certainly won't add it 3 months before release!

As i said before, NV's betting more than ever on developers. They are doing their best for NV30 power to be used as soon as possible. Will it work? Only time will tell.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-02, 07:37 PM   #56
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
You see, there's no problem to write PS1.3 with DX9. And soon, they'll be mainstream.
mainstream DX9 and soon? from what card? rumors would place the R9500 at $180, which isn't exactly mainstream enough to be really called mainstream. shave $50 off the price and throw in an even lower priced version than that, then we'll have mainstream.

Old 09-30-02, 09:50 PM   #57
jbirney

Uttar,

your missing the point. Cg and Cgfx no matter how good or powerfull will not allow pixel shadders to run on hardware that does not support it. Thus developers wont adopt these as the norm until the hardware is ready for it. And with the majortiy of hardware at DX7...well its gonna be some time...
Old 10-01-02, 04:08 AM   #58
StealthHawk

i believe the point he is getting at is that as soon as DX8 games become more common, DX9 features could theoretically also be implemented easily as well. so the advent of DX9 games may coincide somewhat with DX8 games.
Old 10-01-02, 08:18 AM   #59
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

And again, why? Why would any developer waste writing games for DX9 until there is greater than 1% of the market with DX9 hardware? That won't happen with 9700, 9500, and NV30 on the market... it will only happen once a value/mainstream version is released (9500 will still be a bit too pricey to be considered value).
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 08:23 AM   #60
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
i believe the point he is getting at is that as soon as DX8 games become more common, DX9 features could theoretically also be implemented easily as well. so the advent of DX9 games may coincide somewhat with DX8 games.
No way except for basic features. Will a DX8 card handle displacement mapping? DX9 requires a floating point pipeline and some features you can do there just are not feasible to run on a DX8 hardware.

Again the over all complexity of programming of DX8/9 is not the bottle neck here. Its the simple fact that the majority of the hardware out there is sub dx8 and thats what the developers will target, the majority.. Cg is a good tool to over coming the programming road blocks but again thats not the issue here.