Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-02, 10:20 AM   #61
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar

StealHawk understood me correctly.

What i meant is that writing PS1.3 ( that's GF4, people ) with DX9 should normally be possible ( it might not be possible, but i'd say there's a 99% chance that it's possible )

Well, yes, displacement mapping is another example that won't be implemented that fast since making a DX8 alternative gotta be very painful in some cases. But there are things where making an alternative isn't hard - just don't implement it.

This isn't really a good example since it was possible with DX8 too, but anyway, take shiny surfaces.
If you don't have the graphic power to use them... then just don't. It can simply be an option and there's no problem with that.

Also, keep in mind that you certainly aren't going to see DX9 games ( REAL ones, the ones who actually use the features correctly ) for at least 9-14 months. In a year, DX8 will hopefully become much more mainstream.

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 12:23 PM   #62
jbirney

Quote:
In a year, DX8 will hopefully become much more mainstream.
Not until they get that GF4mx out of the picture.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 12:31 PM   #63
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirney

Not until they get that GF4mx out of the picture.
*cough* NV31 *cough*

Need i say more?

IMO, NV31 will be like the Ti4200 today. Not really mainstream, but not highend either.

They wouldn't keep 3 generation - so once they'd introduce the NV31, say bye bye to the GF4 MX. That's just my speculation on how it's all gonna happen. But then again, i could be wrong.

Uttar
Old 10-01-02, 12:52 PM   #64
Bigus Dickus
GF7 FX Ti 12800 SE Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar

*cough* NV31 *cough*

Need i say more?
*cough* they just launched yet another DX7 part *cough*

*cough* and how long will it take for NV30 to show up... let alone NV31 *cough*
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 12:57 PM   #65
borntosoul

well i think some peeps live in a fantasy world ! how many times does it have to be said that atleast %80+ of the graphics cards are still using dx7 ,yes the gf4 mx was a killer with no drx8 but it just goes to show you how important dx8 was to the main value sector at that time ! we have no true value dx8 part out yet and you talking about a value dx9 part! the ti4200 is not value dx8 catagory yet but its getting closer ,and now we have the nforce 2 with built in dx7 ,see where im getting at , the only hope we got is that nvidia make sure some big name games come out with these effects as options ,track record hasnt shown much of that !
borntosoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 01:42 PM   #66
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus Dickus

*cough* they just launched yet another DX7 part *cough*

*cough* and how long will it take for NV30 to show up... let alone NV31 *cough*
Yeah, and? They can put it out of the market in six months or a little more.
As for the NV30, i'd say it would be out in december or before ( but that's unlikely )
But then again, i might have to do some crow eating again if that's incorrect...

BornToSoul:
Err, i PERFECTLY well know most of the market is DX7. However, you said the following:
Quote:
we have no true value dx8 part out yet and you talking about a value dx9 part! the ti4200 is not value dx8 catagory yet but its getting closer ,and now we have the nforce 2 with built in dx7 ,see where im getting at
"We have no value DX8 part out yet" : None from nVidia, but i'd consider the Radeon 9000 a value DX8 part. And Trident upcoming GPUs are true value DX8 parts. Sub $100 and good perf.

Did i ever say NV31 would be "value"? No. I said it was going to be at about the same price range as the Ti 4200, maybe a little more. And you agreed the Ti 4200 wasn't value.

"We now have the nForce 2 with built in DX7 support, see where im getting at"
What did you hope? A high-end integrated graphic card?
nVidia next motherboard product will most likely include DX8 support. Maybe it won't be a speed demon, but at least it'll be mainstream.

So, we'll see who's right in a couple of months i guess

Uttar
Old 10-01-02, 01:49 PM   #67
borntosoul

hi end integrated graphics part wont happen , im sure of that! but it wouldve been nice to see a integrated dx8 part ,that wouldve shown a lot more confidence for thew dx8 scene , im just trying to explain how the market is thinking at the moment ,id like to see how mainstream the radeon 9000 will be ,and as for trident well MUHAHA i feel sorry for them
Old 10-02-02, 12:08 AM   #68
StealthHawk

i'll hedge my bets that the nforce for Hammer will eventually have a integrated part with DX8 support. at least by the time Hammer goes to .09 micron

Old 10-02-02, 01:02 AM   #69
borntosoul

i hope we get a dx8 part for nforce hammer and without all the hangups this board is having at the moment,im just trying to be realistic as to how long it takes for new techs to trickle down to mainstream ,some peeps have trouble accepting that . i will say this remember with the launch of the geforce 3 and 4 how nvidia had made a big advert on their website on how it was going to change the face graphics ,this was a fair while before launch ,its strange but theyre very quiet now hmmmm i wonder whats going on