Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-09-03, 05:40 AM   #1
mtnbikerjerry

Default NVIDIA Drivers and Mandrake 9.2 Help NVIDIA guru!!!

I need help with this soooo bad.

I have did everything I could to make these Nvidia 1.0-4496 drivers to work.

I can't and don't know how to make kernel headers.

The nvidia drivers install sucessfully, but when I edited my Xconfig86F-4 file from nv to nvidia.

My X server doesn't start.

It says that I have a symbolic link error when I do modprobe nvidia.

I HATE THIS.

I should not have to go through so much time wasted on this. Mandrake 9.1 work just fine.

When is Nvidia going to make changes in their drivers. After all Mandrake and Redhat are the most popular Linux distros. Why can't the see this or do this?

Nvidia guru guy please help me. Send me a private message.

MR NVIDIA Guru guy in these forums, check out www.linuxquestions.org

lots of people are having problems with 9.2 and Nvidia drivers.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...Kernel+Headers

MR NVIDIA Guru guy... read this site below

http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html

Last edited by mtnbikerjerry; 11-09-03 at 05:46 AM.
mtnbikerjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-03, 04:29 PM   #2
afrosheen

Ok, here's the deal. Anyone having this identical problem should take notes.

You need your kernel-source package installed FIRST before you do anything else. Guess what? Mandrake really screwed up on the 9.2 release (at least on the iso's) and forgot to put the kernel-source package on the isos. You have to find it and download it from a mandrake ftp site. Should be something like kernel-source-2.4.x.x.x.rpm.

Once you get the kernel source installed, re-run the shell script/driver package from nvidia. It'll compile and insert the proper kernel module and you'll be just fine.

People, please remember that anytime you build anything from source code, you'll need source or development packages installed. The kernel source is the most critical.
afrosheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-03, 07:34 PM   #3
mtnbikerjerry

I have already installed the matching kernel source, and it is still giving me errors when I install the nVidia drivers.

What gives. I honestly feel like rolling back to 9.1 mandrake.

I installed the RPM's for the matching kernel. Kernel source RPM, it even is located on my CD and on the USC ftp college site.

Then I did the sh Nvidia command in telinit 3 mode.

Can't find headers after all this.. then I finally get it right, and then it doesn't let me bootup in X when I changed the X86Configf-4 file. from nv to nvidia. so I have to change it back to nv to bootup in X with the vi editor tool.

When I do a modprobe nvidia in telinit 3 mode, it tells me that it cannot find the symbolic link after my drivers where finally successfully installed.

I have the kernel headers in /usr/src/2.4.22-10mdk/build/include

There is even a shortcut or link on the /usr/src place.

I have done everything right.

What else dude? Back to mandrake 9.1 Nvidia needs to keep a change on the changing of the symbolic links and files.

grrrrr. almost two weeks at this crap.

What needs to happen. I have examined the nvidia logs and it keeps telling me this. I have looked at the text help file with nvidia, and nothing is going right at all with this mandrake 9.2 site.

There is a link of patched 2.6 kernel drivers, I may just try those.

SUch BS NVIDIA. my other linux box has 9.2 as well and works fine with my Radeon 9700. I love Nvidia products, just not this messy driver nightmare.
Old 11-09-03, 07:49 PM   #4
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by mtnbikerjerry
SUch BS NVIDIA. my other linux box has 9.2 as well and works fine with my Radeon 9700. I love Nvidia products, just not this messy driver nightmare.
i think that's not Nvidia's fault, but rather Mdk's fault.
I'm using it on Fedora right now and it's working flawlessly
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-03, 11:13 PM   #5
mtnbikerjerry

Does anyone have any links to help me? I am still reading up on this where I can.

I just installed Mandrake 9.2 and having these issues.

Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
Old 11-10-03, 01:25 PM   #6
afrosheen

Well at this point I'm starting to wonder what package you're trying to install. You say you installed your kernel-source that's on the CD (I don't see how it could be), yet the installer is complaining that it can't find the kernel headers.

Try this. Type uname -r at a shell prompt and see if that version EXACTLY MATCHES the kernel-source rpm you installed. To check and see what source you installed, use the command "rpm -qa | grep kernel" and watch carefully. You may have a mismatch.

Also I don't see why you're manually screwing around with your XF86Config-4 file. The nvidia installer handles that for you, along with modprobing and all that jazz. You don't even have to switch runlevels before you run the script.

Something's boogered up on your end...hope you get it fixed.
Old 11-10-03, 01:54 PM   #7
the_wounded

Well when using mandrake u have to add the following stuff to /etc/lilo.conf

there sould be something like

image=/boot/bzimage
label=linux
append="hdc=ide-scsi"

and to that append line add the following 2 things:

apic=off noacpi

Then the driver will work, i had the same problems as you have.
the_wounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 05:41 PM   #8
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Two suggestions:

Make sure you're installing a 'kernel-source-xxxxxx.rpm' rather than a 'kernel-xxxxx.src.rpm' as they are NOT the same or interchangeable. This may be the reason you find the rpm on the cd, where it should not be.

Locate the kernel source tree manually, and ask the nvidia-installer to use this tree when building the module.. by doing the following.
(the source tree is probably somewhere near /usr/src or /opt/src, but I don't know mandriake's idea of a proper place for it)

sh NVIDIA-<blahblah>.pkg2.run --kernel-include-path=/usr/src/linux-2.4.xxxxxxx/include

where of course you put the exact path to the source tree include directory as the argument to the command line option.

Ok, suggestion 3. It IS necessary to install the driver while X is not running and by root.
(and its not nVidia's fault at all... changing lib locations is primarily the fault of XFree86 packagers and the conflicts with Mesa which you should remove before attempting this anyway. Complain to Mandrake with the lib linking issues)

Old 11-10-03, 06:25 PM   #9
afrosheen

I think LM nailed it right on the head. My money's on the guy installing the kernel.xxxx.src.rpm package INSTEAD of the kernel-source.xxx.rpm package. I didn't even consider that.

Mandrake made a mistake when packaging the 9.2 cds this time around and forgot to include the kernel-source rpm (yes the package name actually begins as 'kernel-source'). That's why I mentioned that you'd have to find it on a mandrake mirror site. It's NOT on the cds. It's NOT in the isos. It's only in the boxed sets (maybe) and they haven't shipped yet, afaik.

So, go get that package, install it, and run that shell script from a terminal prompt again. Should work this time around.
Old 11-10-03, 06:47 PM   #10
mtnbikerjerry

I will do that.

I will check here again if it doesn't work out.

Jeremiah
Old 11-19-03, 05:36 AM   #11
mtnbikerjerry

I have downloaded the correct kernel source rpm, not the kernel src rpm.

I still get the errors,

even when I install using the provided kernel headers path

it says that it cannnot find nvidia.o file, and that my kernel headers were not configured correctly.

UPDATE UPDATE.

I finally found a correct and matching kernel, I used the path and used the right and perfectly matching kernel source.

Behold I get the NVIDIA flash screen, and my video card works!!

MY DRIVERS NOW WORK, and I get 2500 FPS in 5.0 sec in GLX GEARS!!

With a regular Geforce 3 64mb.

Not bad, considering it is a Celeron 850mhz machine junk box.

Thank you LM, you are a god! Thank you.

Last edited by mtnbikerjerry; 11-19-03 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 02:51 PM   #12
metalklesk

can somebody copy de url for mandrake's ftp to download kernel-source 2.4.22-10mdk please?? i can't install nvidia's driver yet, i downloaded kernel-source 2.4.22-21mdk but mkk 9.2 got ***-10mdk, thanks, bye

klesk_666
metalklesk is offline   Reply With Quote