Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-03, 09:24 PM   #1
emit

Question nvaudio.o insmod failure

Now that i have nvnet working, i'd like to get my sound drivers running just as well .

Running Mandrake 9.0.

Attached is a list of hardware i have, you can see is the lines
Quote:
unknown : Nvidia Corporation|nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby Digital) [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b0 subv:1462 subd:3670)
i810_audio : Nvidia Corporation|nForce Audio Codec Interface [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:10de device:01b1 subv:1462 subd:3670)
the Codec Interface provides some sound, but it is grainy and soft. I downloaded the nforce drivers, and built the nvaudio.o file with no problem (make;make install). On boot though, or when running `modprobe` or `insmod` commands, this error appears.

Quote:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: init_module: No such device
Whats the next step?
Attached Files
File Type: txt lspcidrake-output.txt (2.0 KB, 149 views)
emit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 02:11 AM   #2
Kiamu

have you enabled the sound card support in the kernel?
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 03:34 PM   #3
emit

I haven't made any changes to the kernel. I believe it comes configured with everything needed to support sound cards. The other computer i installed mandrake on works fine with default kernel.

Is there anyway to specify an IRQ setting with insmod or modprobe? the manpages weren't clear enough on this point. They seemed to suggest that these options are module specific.

BTW, did i post this in the wrong forum? I hit the post new topic button off of a post i found from the search function, and thought i was posting in "Linux and Nvidia Graphics". Maybe some kind moderator could move the thread there?
emit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-03, 01:46 PM   #4
spaceyoyo

i have exactly the same probllem

when i try insmod nvaudio i obtain this :
Code:
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.25mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.25mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
And during the boot i have this :
Code:
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.25mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o:
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe:       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe: init_module: No such device
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe: modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.25mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o failed
Oct 23 18:34:25 localhost modprobe: modprobe: insmod nvaudio failed
i have compil the source myself (no use pre-compiled rpm)

I need help ....

Emit >> what is your mobo ? me epox 8rda+
spaceyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-03, 08:27 AM   #5
Zubir

Lightbulb epox 8rda

i had the same message. i got mine working in redhat by going to the /etc/modules.conf file, and erasing the sound entry the install put in, making sure the "alias nvaudio" entry was there, then rebooting. i had to put the "option nvaudio spdif_status=0" option in also, because the audio on flash animations was stuttering. now, my sound dies after running certain apps, or leaving the computer for extended periods. i can only fix it by rebooting.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ | MSI K8T-NEO FSR | 2 X 512MB Kingston Hyper-X PC4000 | BFG 6800/OC 128 DDR | Samsung SP1213C 120GB SATA | Lite-on LDW-411S 4X DVD +/- RW | Aspire 550W PSU
Zubir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-03, 03:02 PM   #6
gowator

Default insmod failure

Me too.
I got it working *partly but without full duplex.

Is full duplex possible ???
Anyone done it?

MDK 9.1
gowator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-03, 11:44 AM   #7
tourettes

Send a message via ICQ to tourettes

Ensure that you don't have any other sound modules loaded. Run an 'lsmod' to see what modules are currently loaded in your system. As well, if your distributions comes with a ready-made kernel, it may have sound compiled directly into the kernel (which i doubt).

If you find any sound modules there, say i810_audio, remove them from the running kernel with "rmmod -r i810_audio", and then insert the nvaudio drivers with "modprobe -v nvaudio".

But, it does sound to me like there's already drivers loaded, so, run through your lsmod and make sure.
tourettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-03, 12:50 PM   #8
gowator

Talking Thanks

ill persist now I know it can work
I temporarily put in a SB live becuase I need the full duplex for VoIP.

Thanks
gowator is offline   Reply With Quote