Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-02, 03:18 AM   #13
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

I would guess that something is seriously amiss in the nVidia house at the moment.

Richard Huddy and bunch of others left to startup their own business, the CTO has just stepped down. Not good signs

The move to .13u will pay off in the long run if nVidia gets it to work as planned. In real terms it will probably give them a four to five month lead in design time over ATi. It's no mean feat to move your architecture over from .15u to .13u. Most automated tools don't work and an awful lot of the re-design has to be done by hand.

I would guess that the move to UMC is probably the .15u designs with the .13u NV3x still being fabbed at TSMC, otherwise nVidia are just screwing themselves over with a whole new bunch of issues involved in moving from one fab to another.

If the NV3x taped out originally at .15u then that may mean that they have samples running at some rediculously low core speed, maybe ~200MHz, which they are using for driver development. Also the original tape out may have used a 128bit memory bus. And now they want to inlcude a 256bit memory bus.

I can see an internal fight going on between the people who want to improve the IQ above all else, and the people who want to keep the FPS crown.

All in all it doesn't sound to healthy. Then again it may all be pure fabrication (sic) and an amazing piece of mis-direction which maybe why the CEO sounded so nervous when he was saying it hadn't taped out yet, telling porkies . Or then again he may just have been nervous because he promised it would be out this fall and now it's all gone pear shaped and so he was telling porkies at the previous meeting.

Whatever happens I really hope that this Christmas isn't a one horse race. The price of the R300 will never drop and if there is only one company left at the top, ATi, then it's bad, bad news for all the consumers.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 04:19 AM   #14
StealthHawk

nvidia has stated for a long time now that NV30 would be using the .13 process.

um, what .15 designs? i am unaware of any nvidia video cards that will see the light of day that are on .15.

Quote:
UMC apparently told investors that Nvidia will cut its orders with number one foundry TSMC from 140,000 parts in the first quarter to 30,000 parts in Q3.

Presumably, UMC will pick up the slack, which is presumably why the whole thing is mentioned at all.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4681
Old 07-31-02, 07:20 AM   #15
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

The GF4 series are all .15u chips. Maybe they are moving production of that series over to UMC so that TSMC can concentrate on the .13u process. And that's why UMC will be picking up the slack.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 02:27 PM   #16
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Thumbs up

To me it doesn't matter if the NV30 is released Early or late 4th quarter, It doesn't even matter to me if it has to be released till the first quarter of 2003. I have a GF4 in my crud rig and thats all I need for now until NV30 is out. By then I should have a 3.06 ghz P4 so that should make my GF4 work better. Its gonna be great. Even if the card is being released after the 9700 it doesn't matter cuz the NV30 rapes the 9700. The pixel shaders are way better and go beyond the 9700's capability. So does the core and memory speeds. Everything about this card sounds good and I am willing to wait. Good things come to those who wait, or so I've heard.
Old 07-31-02, 02:36 PM   #17
pelly

Imagine what an uproar there would be if Nvidia was playing possum this whole time.....ATI takes it easy and then one day....out of the blue......NV30!

That would be a knock-out punch for sure...

If only that would happen....I would be a happy camper...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 02:47 PM   #18
Megatron
Powered by 6800GT

Quote:
Originally posted by |TX|-LORD-EX-BU
Even if the card is being released after the 9700 it doesn't matter cuz the NV30 rapes the 9700. The pixel shaders are way better and go beyond the 9700's capability. So does the core and memory speeds. Everything about this card sounds good and I am willing to wait.
....and it also offers world peace...

lol...seriously man, where do you get info that it rapes the 9700. Heck noone (even Nvidia at this stage of completion)knows what the core and memory speeds are going to be.
Not one comparison has been made between these 2 cards yet...so whether it will rape the 9700 or get raped BY the 9700 remains to be seen.
Windows XP
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 02:47 PM   #19
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

as much as i wish they were playing possum ... i highly doubt that is the case ...

but we can all hope right ...

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 02:49 PM   #20
Megatron