Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-03, 06:24 PM   #1
ggattis

Default NVidia and OpenOffice on RedHat 9

I have a Dell M50 that is configured as a dual boot (Win2000 & RedHat 9). I am currently using the 4496 driver and most applications run well. There is a subset that I cannot get to work and I have not been able to solve the problem myself. I need some help, perhaps a new direction to look in.

The font size in a few applications is unacceptably large. For example, the fonts in the Konqueror browser are so large that it is unuseable. I can send a .PNG file that should illustrate what I am talking about. The same problem exists with the OpenOffice installation. The fonts are so large that dialogs will not fit on the screen.

Other applications work quite well, (NetBeans, Mozilla, etc.). Have you seen this or a similar problem begore?

I included the items that you asked for in the attached file.

Best regards,
Gerry
ggattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 06:29 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Attachment missing, somehow it didn't accept it from you.

Was this a problem before you installed the nvidia driver? Does the same thing happen if you use 'nv' instead? OOo and Konquerer anti-alias text, what version of mozilla do you have (and is it one that does this also? (with xft support).
Old 11-11-03, 12:17 AM   #3
ggattis

Default Thanks for the response.

Thanks for the response. I'll try to address each question that you asked.

Was it a problem before I installed the nvidia driver? With Redhat 9, I think so. I installed RH9 with the default driver (out-of-the-box) and had problems with the Konqueror browser and the Help Application (it uses Konqueror I believe).

Does the same thing happen when I use nv? I'll have to tinker and re-boot, to make sure. I think that the X-Server fails to start when I use nv with RH9.

What version of Mozilla?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030225. This version works great in RH9 with the nvidia driver.

I attached the file again. It contains all of the items that Mr. Mecham asked for in his sticky article.

Best regards,
Gerry

I did complete the tinkering that I mentioned earlier in this post. I can confirm that the XWindows system seems to lock-up when I try to use the nv driver.

I also started the XWindows system using the verbose logging (nvidia) and have attaches that log file. It is in the attached file.

Gerry
Attached Files
File Type: txt myconfig.txt (33.1 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by ggattis; 11-11-03 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-11-03, 02:38 AM   #4
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Well, due to the mixed up nature of multiple font systems present and being used, it can be very messy dealing with fonts. At least it is for me, so you're not alone in having problems with them.

What I think is happening there is that the apps having font issues are not finding the fonts they would like, or are getting them in bad formats. I found two old X configs of mine from RH9 (one very old, one newer) and noted that I had a change of font paths in them. So, lets investigate. (I'm no longer on RH9 so I can't check this out, you need to).

Look for the presence of these directories:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/

If the are present and full of fonts (which is definitely what I expect) you can add these lines to your XF86Config in the Section "Files".

FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

I would leave the original connection to unix port 7100, and just add these after it to see if any change is noticed when you get X restarted. If not, then try moving the unix:7100 after the above lines (the order they appear is significant I believe)

Yes, I'm shooting in the dark here. (font gurus can feel free to correct me)

BTW: I'm also certain this is not directly related to the nVidia driver, but rather to X setup in general (drivers only render what they're told). You may find more knowledgeable response on a general forum like: www.linuxquestions.org
Old 11-11-03, 04:20 PM   #5
ggattis

Default Thanks again

I want to thank you for trying to help me with this. I tried the steps that you suggested, but it did not resolve the problem. I was glad to hear that it is not a problem with the driver. I suspected that it was a configuratoin issue and I think that you have helped confirm that.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but I do appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Gerry