Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-03, 06:03 PM   #1
clueless

Default Fedora on nforce, anyone running?

Thinking of installing Fedora on an Epox 8rda+ and just wondering if anyone is doing the same and if network and sound are working?

Oh, and could you please walk me through the driver install from the start as I'm not to smart with Linux. Or anything else.

Last edited by clueless; 11-10-03 at 06:12 PM.
clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-03, 07:25 PM   #2
rsnic

Haven't tried fedora yet, but shouldn't be too different from redhat 9. The audio drivers work but aren't that great, for me occasionally seem to screw up but work again after restarting. Anyhow grab the src rpm from the website.Make sure you have the kernel source too or just try it, then go to terminal as root and type:
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA???.src.rpm

They will then get compiled. The resulting rpm will get chucked in a directory in redhat its:
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
So its probably pretty similar.
Then just install the rpm:
rpm -Uhv NVIDIA_????.rpm
rsnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 09:40 PM   #3
benjfitz

I tried it on an sn45g and I couldn't get it to install. Anaconda does not like my setup. I got some help from bugzilla and it looks like text mode will work if I type in the "linux headless" option at the start. I will let you know as soon as I get a chance to do this.
benjfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 01:25 AM   #4
djlightning

I got it to go in with 0 effort with the tar ball install.
make
make install
thats it..... now I cant say much for the video drivers yet but the nForce went with out a hitch
djlightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-03, 04:49 AM   #5
mariuz
Albino penguin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by djlightning
make
make install
thats it..... now I cant say much for the video drivers yet but the nForce went with out a hitch
For me it works but i'm using the old kernel (build by me) 2.4.21 after updating the rh9->fedora1

Gonna try to install it on the new kernel (2.4.22) that comes with fedora soon
Old 11-12-03, 06:42 PM   #6
djlightning

Well I tried to get the video drivers installed...no luck. Recompiled the kernel mentioned in a how to for the drivers...twice and it kills my nic. By the way I am also using a 8rda+ with a fresh install of Fedora. Good Luck
Old 11-12-03, 07:53 PM   #7
clueless

I have read much about the driver for the lan chip sucking, and audio not so good to. Might just install on a Tyan Tiger that has always worked great. That is unless I can install 2.6 kernel and have things up and working.

Thanks for the responses people.
clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 02:22 PM   #8
xMod

Default Fedaro, no AGP

I have one of Shuttle's sn45g, and just installed Fedora. It is actually more stable for me than RedHat was, but I couldn't tell you why. I use to get random X crashes, sometimes with the HD light stuck on. Haven't had one of those since Fedora installed on Tues. I had no problem with the network drivers using "make" . . ., but I haven't figured out how to get the GART stuff working.

As a result, I have no DRI on an AGP8 graphics controller (Matrox P650). I don't even know how to go about fixing that - so it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time on the forums reading up on this AGP stuff.

Side note: I did have to change the P650 driver to work with the modifiied remap_* function in both RedHat9 and Fedora, but that wasn't nVidia related.
xMod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-04, 12:51 PM   #9
jimmyjamesaa

Quote:
Originally posted by djlightning
make
make install
Same here I got the nforce NIC driver to go with 0 problems. Dunno about the audio I am using an Audigy card and have the nvaudio disabled in BIOS.

Next question is how to get the graphics driver to work. Config is with the 8RDA+ mobo, FX 5200 nvidia card, 2500+ Barton chip.

I tried the nvidia installer and the install went fine after switching to runlevel 3. However when I restarted to test runlevel 5, X locked up and I got a screen full of @ symbols and related garbage. I have since reinstalled Fedora entirely (can't seem to get into even a text login to remod the X config file).

Any ideas? I have read through a couple other articles and found that I may need to add the NVAGP option to my xconfig file and set it to 1 to avoid using the agpgart. Anyone have any thoughts or anyone been able to install the nvidia graphics drivers with Fedora on an Epox 8RDA+ mobo? And if so, how?
Old 01-10-04, 05:19 PM   #10
djlightning

Update your mobo bios and firmware/bios for the vid card. That fixed all my issues.
Old 01-10-04, 08:17 PM   #11
netviper13
Treehugger

I'm running Fedora on my NF7-S and it works fine. Mobo drivers install without a hitch, and the ATI drivers do as well. Only problem I have is with the default sound drivers producing a delay in the sound. Once I figure how to get ALSA correctly set up and running that problem should be fixed.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-04, 12:16 PM   #12
erwos

I'm running Fedora on an 8RGA+. I've had no particular issues with Linux. I have had some difficulties with the Firewire disabling USB ports when I turn it on, but that happens in Windows, too.

I am indeed looking forward to Fedora Core 2, because the ALSA drivers seem a lot better than the OSS ones for sound.

Like someone else said, the only hitch with the video drivers is to yank the generic TLS libs, because nVidia's installer doesn't move them.

-Erwos
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote