Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-03, 03:03 PM   #73
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar

Quote:
Originally posted by AnteP
well ATi usually performs slower (not this much though) in tests with massive CPU dependency
in my experience that is
really ?

didnt know about that...
Yes, this is true and the reason for this is because HW T&L of the R3x0 and prior cores is not working as advertised... in fact it's broken.

T&L on ATI cards is mainly done by the main CPU and not by the graphiccard (VPU) as it should be, therefore when using games or benches with require heavy CPU workload, the performance of Radeons drops proportionally more dramatically than on GeForce cards.

This explains also why high-end GeForce cards run great on slower systems where high-end Radeons need more CPU horsepower to unleash their real performance.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:10 PM   #74
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
really ?

didnt know about that...

Yes, this is true and the reason for this is because HW T&L of the R3x0 and prior cores is not working as advertised... in fact it's broken.

T&L on ATI cards is mainly done by the main CPU and not by the graphiccard (VPU) as it should be, therefore when using games or benches with require heavy CPU workload, the performance of Radeons drops proportionally more dramatically than on GeForce cards.

This explains also why high-end GeForce cards run great on slower systems where high-end Radeons need more CPU horsepower to unleash their real performance.
[/quote]

If this is true how is ati selling the card on the fact it has t&l?

BTW: my rig lost about 900 points. I'm now scoring a little over 6000.
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:11 PM   #75
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
really ?

didnt know about that...

[/quote]

what the **** are you smoking??
Old 11-11-03, 03:14 PM   #76
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

I dont think it can be a large proportion of T&L done on the CPU. If it was all, that would mean all vertices get transformed on the cpu. It just wouldn't be fast enough.

It may be they do a few more matrix setups, or have to do more DMA setting up on the cpu which uses slightly more cpu time. But the T&L does work. You would get the speed of a TNT2 otherwise, which was the last card that did everything on the cpu.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:16 PM   #77
The Baron

I thought that was the Savage2000.
Old 11-11-03, 03:17 PM   #78
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
The point is, they wouldn't. Unless IQ is being sacrificed. If its not, then wheres the problem?

I mean I dont care that NV is cheating if the IQ stays the same. I really dont.

I dont see the difference with having a compiler in a driver making shaders work better, or a driver engineer making shaders work better. Ideally the former is preferred, but until they get a miracle compiler built, it aint gonna happen.

The whole issue of benchmarks is just totally flawed. I thought everyone agree'd ages ago to stop paying attention to PenisMarks.. sorry 3dmarks?

You should judge a card on what you're gonna use it for. If you're gonna play games, bench it with games. If you're gonna be a 3dmark bragger, then yeah use 3dmark. But frankly, I couldn't care less if NV said, yeah we cheat our ass off in 3dmarks.. I mean I just dont care. As long as my games run fine, and my programming works, thats all I care about.

Whats also annoying is that Futuremark are being paid by IHV money, which comes from you ppl that buy cards, to just sit there and churn out more anti-cheat patches that in the grand scheme of things just dont mean squat.

Why is it okay for JC to code a path for NV3X, but Benchmarks wont?

I'm starting to sound like a right nvidiot now, (which I prolly am) but I'm just soo bored of this 3dmark thing.

I can see the point of view of having a program that is supposed to run identical on hardware, to test performance. But that _isn't_ how things work!
This is precisely how I feel. I'm still waiting for someone to show me how much (if at all) image quality is lowered with using the old patch as opposed to the new one. If we're talking a couple out of place pixels when the image is zoomed in 300%, I think that's being just a tad ridiculous.

This is just like the Quack thing. ATI fixed image quality problems while getting just as good, if not better, performance. Do we know that this is going on here? What exactly is this new patch detecting and removing and what are the visual differences?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:19 PM   #79
andypski

Quote:

Total unmitigated rubbish.
andypski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:23 PM   #80
Razor04

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Why is it okay for JC to code a path for NV3X, but Benchmarks wont?
I can't believe you just said that...that has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. A benchmark is supposed to be fair and impartial...an apples to apples comparison or as close to one as is possible. What you are suggesting is an apples to oranges comparison where oranges are the preferred fruit. I hope I made this simple enough for you to see your error.

And about those compilers...I have no problem with them at all so long as they don't decrease image quality or do stuff that wasn't intended by the developer. If a developer asks for output A using X instructions the compiler should optimize X instructions but still output A. Anytime that output A is different because of a compiler should raise red flags.

Tests like the one here with 3DMark show that it sure as hell wasn't the compiler providing the optimization but hand picked "optimizations" instead. A compiler would not suddenly lose performance in a program because that program changes itself so it could no longer be detected by cheating drivers.

NVIDIA has definately lost me as a customer till at least the NV50...and that is provided they remove all their old cheats and can show they have a IQ and perfomance lead on ATI.
Razor04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-03, 03:25 PM   #81
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan
Talking

wow, NV cheating is like a fashion thing, if you don't say it, you're out, you're not "trendy"....

haha...duh~~
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:27 PM   #82
subbo

I'd just like to say, that this thing makes the general public more pissed at 3dmark for ruining their scores than nvidia supposedly cheating with their drivers. I still wont buy ati though, been there and it was not all that peachy. Though, without ATI we'd just now be celebrating the launch of the GF2.
subbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:33 PM   #83
fallguy

AthlonXP1800, I have never seen anyone more in denial than you.
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-03, 03:34 PM   #84
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

I'm sure not going to loose any sleep over this.
I'm scoring 6000 on this non cheating bench.

I can play every game I have at way above the FPS
needed for smooth game play.
The IQ is as good as my 9800 was to my eyes.

So that's all "I" need.
I think the performance will still get better as newer drivers r released.
It seems nvidia has had a hard time figuring out the drivers for the NV3x
compared to there older hardware.

Most of the game companies don't seem to mind coding for NV
so why worry about it.
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote