Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-04, 11:41 PM   #13
mbogosian

Question Possible compromise (not requiring Open Source)?

Sorry for the cross-post (I don't seem to be getting much traction with my new thread). Here goes:

I am not sure if nVidia developers even read this forum, but I'd like to voice my desire to have XFree86 nVidia drivers for running Linux on my 12" PowerBook.

As a user, I'm not really concerned whether or not the drivers are Open Source or not (although I would certainly commend nVidia for such a bold step). I just want them to be available.

I'd like to ask a question, though: is it even conceivably possible to use the binary code distributed with OS X 10.x in Linux? What I mean is, is it possible that one could (in theory) write a wrapper for the Mach-0 based code for the video drivers? Kind of like what these guys have done to allow x86 Linux to use Windows wireless drivers:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader...98fb5a8bac0713
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

I don't even know which .dylib(s) hold(s) the appropriate code, but I'm imagining something like the following:

1. Identify the appropriate .dylib files (and their dependencies?) in OS X (perhaps "otool -L /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLSystem.dylib"?)

2. Find/write a Mach-0 object loader for Linux (is this necessary? Linux uses ELF, and OS X uses Mach-0, right?)

3. Identify the approprate nVidia-specific symbols in the .dylib files (this probably requires some heavy reverse engineering/experimentation and a lot of patience)

4. Write the wrapper/glue code to abstract the Mach-O loader/nVidia symbol calls as an XFree86 driver

Is there anything wrong with my thinking here? If there are any nVidia developers reading this list, is this something nVidia would be willing to do? It seems like this might be a decent compromise (nVidia doesn't have to release its IP, and Linux users get updates with OS X). Alternatively, are there any bright independents out there who are capable/willing to tackle such a daunting task?

An thoughts, comments, responses (especially from nVidia folks) would really be appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mbogosian; 02-28-04 at 03:54 AM.
mbogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-04, 06:28 AM   #14
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally posted by meldroc
Oh, I forgot reason #5832 why NVidia doesn't release driver source:

So we don't see their benchmark cheating.

Yes, NVidia (and other graphics card mfgrs) have inserted code in their drivers that detects when programs commonly used for benchmarking are executed, and turns off certain graphics features to inflate benchmarking scores.

Exposing such code would be quite embarassing.
If your talking about Linux then thats false, nvidia have valid reasons why they dont openspource there driver, and to say they dont because of driver optimizations is boardering on slanderous comments.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-04, 07:23 AM   #15
borgzilla
Linux Assimilator

Can't believe what I'm reading here.
People will drop nvidia for far worse supported product under linux??
ATi doesn't even support 3D properly and their drivers are not open source as well.

Well go for it you probably deserve it.
borgzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-04, 06:37 PM   #16
mobtek
Ti4200

Quote:
Originally posted by borgzilla
Can't believe what I'm reading here.
People will drop nvidia for far worse supported product under linux??
ATi doesn't even support 3D properly and their drivers are not open source as well.

Well go for it you probably deserve it.
I can understand the frustration though, yeah the performance has increased in the latest drivers but they are as flakey as, well for me at least

cheers mob
mobtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 05:29 AM   #17
nyxs

I had to register just to reply to this thread!

Why not open source? WELL.......
simply because it would give away their TRADE SECRETS!!!

& since Nvidia & ATI are competing for a billion pound industry, I really don't think a couple of people (or even a thousand!) who are having trouble using linux, is enough of a reason for them to expose their TRADE secrets.

COME on would you expect iD to release DOOM3 as open source or HALFLIFE2 no of course not.

remember, we users want the hardware to work well in linux, which it does IF you use a PC and learn to set it up right. If you cann't/won't take the time to learn how to set up your system then stick to windoze or apple.

btw apple also do not want users of their platform to bugger about so its up to apple to ask nv to do a linux port. (although why when apple uses OSx god only knows!)
Old 02-29-04, 06:40 AM   #18
SuLinUX

Nvidia are getting the driver stable and bug free as they can, they are not bothered at this time to get the most fps out of them. I use the 4620 driver and i've like alot of people found them to be the best, dont cry just because the "latest" dont give more fps or are not better.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 08:31 AM   #19
nyxs

Cool

TOO TRUE