Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-03, 03:08 PM   #37
Hellbinder
 
Hellbinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CDA
Posts: 1,510
Default

I forgot to address this above..

If you as an individual are ok and accepting reducing Quality or Changing things slightly that end up looking "almost" right for better performance. More importantly having to wait an unknown length of time for these changes to be made.. then there is no Problem. Although I personally think that everyone who accepts such conduct as acceptable are selling themselves short for no sane reason I can see.

Ask youselves what you would say if this shoe was on ATis foot. I can almost Gurantee there would be far more Ridicule and harsh comments made about it from Nvidia themselves and their Camp of Fans.
__________________
Overam Mirage 4700
3.2ghz P4 HT
SIS 748FX Chipset 800mhz FSB
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 03:52 PM   #38
sxotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
The point is that you Dont Optomize for a benchmark like 3dmark03 becuase its supposed to show the baseline performance capable without 6 months of Tweaks.
Yeah like I said, I can see it if you are only saying they should not do it b/c it is supposed to measure baseline performance or whatever.


I have one question, I was looking at b3d page about this issue, and I noticed the difference screen shots, the question is

Are the differences caused by the fp16, fp32, and no fp24? I was just wondering b/c if you look even the new patch still has differences and I was not sure what caused them.
__________________
ATI x800
AMD 3000+ , nf4,WD Raptor,Antec 430
sxotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 04:38 PM   #39
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!
 
bkswaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 3,421
Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Nvidia 3DM03 talks "NOT FLAMES"

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Ever play DM-Compressed? Thats one of the few maps my 9800 Pro doesn't like. You know the smoke coming out of the ventilation thingies just above the lift? (You gotta crank up the "World detail" to highest)
When i walk/dodge through that smoke the FPS drops like a stone and i get some weird stuttering.

Do you notice that with your 5900? Maybe it's some weird bug in that map or my 9800 is allergic to smoke

DM-compressed runs smooth as glass on my 5900u.

The 2 maps I had shuttering in were: Plunge and Inferno.
I have 0 shutters on my 5900u on any map.
__________________
Notebook!
Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX
AMD 64 Athlon X2 @ 2GHz (QL62)
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:10 PM   #40
muzz
 
muzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 816
Default

The problem as has been stated is this........

Not ALL games will be coded for, everytime they code SPECIFICALLY ( aka shader ops/app detection) for 1 game the driver has to get bigger in size, and/or break something else.

Game patches will be a nightmare, again as has been stated.

I just don't see the point in buying a NV card right now seeing as they have to right application specific code to get it to run comparably..they will NOT be able to write app code for every DX9 game, and there will be long periods of time that folks will have to wait........ if it's not a high profile game you can forget about it.

I am GLAD FM stepped up in an effort to salvage what little credibility they have left, and am also glad they were smart enough NOT to say EXACTLY why they had done it......
We saw what happened the last time they did that.
__________________
muzz
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-03, 02:22 PM   #41
emotionstation
I said is this true?!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 91
Send a message via ICQ to emotionstation Send a message via AIM to emotionstation
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by DMA
Ever play DM-Compressed? Thats one of the few maps my 9800 Pro doesn't like. You know the smoke coming out of the ventilation thingies just above the lift? (You gotta crank up the "World detail" to highest). When i walk/dodge through that smoke the FPS drops like a stone and i get some weird stuttering.
I don't usually play UT2003 (I have it installed however). I read your post about that specific map, so I loaded it up to see how it runs on my 9800 Pro. I ran to one of the ventilation shafts (Was pulling about 150fps, if I remember), and after staring up at the smoke, it dropped to about 90-100. I wouldn't really consider that 'dropping like a stone'. Nor did I experience any stuttering.

Maybe you were using an older driver release? *Shrug*

I'd be interested in hearing of other 9800 NP/P users that are experiencing this problem.
emotionstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 02:28 AM   #42
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!
 
bkswaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 3,421
Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default

Here is my new 3DM03 score with the new 53.03 drivers out now. I can bust over 7000 easy.
I've got a bunch of things running and downloading on this run.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1600952


The IQ is "wonderful" even on mother nature.
I got back 700 of 850 to 860 points I lost with the patch from
looking at all my past scores.
So it did not come all the way back up from my figures.
But still got a nice jump with " my eyes " no iq lose.
If anything the IQ is better.
__________________
Notebook!
Compaq Presario CQ60-215DX
AMD 64 Athlon X2 @ 2GHz (QL62)
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 03:15 AM   #43
cthellis
Hoopy frood
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 549
Default

Have you flipped between 330 and 340 to see what the performance differences are?
cthellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 03:35 AM   #44
Hanners
Elite Bastard
 
Hanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 984
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bkswaney
Here is my new 3DM03 score with the new 53.03 drivers out now. I can bust over 7000 easy.
I've got a bunch of things running and downloading on this run.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1600952


The IQ is "wonderful" even on mother nature.
I got back 700 of 850 to 860 points I lost with the patch from
looking at all my past scores.
So it did not come all the way back up from my figures.
But still got a nice jump with " my eyes " no iq lose.
If anything the IQ is better.
So, nVidia weren't bluffing when they said they'd keep putting the cheats back in.

I really should stop expecting reasonable behaviour from them I guess, it would stop me being disappointed in them quite so often.
__________________
Owner / Editor-in-Chief - Elite Bastards
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-03, 03:36 AM   #45
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!
 
bkswaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 3,421
Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
So, nVidia weren't bluffing when they said they'd keep putting the cheats back in.

I really should stop expecting reasonable behaviour from them I guess, it would stop me being disappointed in them quite so often.
I'm not sure it's the same tho.
I did not gain back all of what I lost with the 340 patch.
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 03:47 AM   #46
Hanners
Elite Bastard
 
Hanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 984
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bkswaney
I'm not sure it's the same tho.
I did not gain back all of what I lost with the 340 patch.
Maybe they didn't have time to redetect all of the shaders.

Seeing as Derek Perez actually explicitly stated that they'd rewrite their detection routine to see the new patch, I think we can safely say that most, if not all, of the cheats are back in. Or, in nVidia speak, 'the compiler has been re-enabled'.
__________________
Owner / Editor-in-Chief - Elite Bastards
Hanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 03:52 AM   #47
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!
 
bkswaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 3,421
Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
Maybe they didn't have time to redetect all of the shaders.

Seeing as Derek Perez actually explicitly stated that they'd rewrite their detection routine to see the new patch, I think we can safely say that most, if not all, of the cheats are back in. Or, in nVidia speak, 'the compiler has been re-enabled'.
Maybe so... at any rate it does not hurt the iq any.
If anything it helped. "lol"
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 07:31 AM   #48
jbirney
Registered User
 
jbirney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by bkswaney
Maybe so... at any rate it does not hurt the iq any.
If anything it helped. "lol"
So your saying its ok to cheat in the biggest benchmark out there eh?

FM said that optimizations soley for 3dmark are not allowed and yet nV does this again? Pitty....
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia: RT @gpuscience: In this video Eric Klein from @NVIDIA talks about Kepler GPU News Archived News Items 0 06-04-12 02:24 PM
GTC Talks available, including NVIDIA OpenGL in 2012 News Archived News Items 0 05-27-12 01:00 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 08:35 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.