Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-03, 06:21 PM   #1
zkorpio

Default monitor turns off, geforce4 ti4200

Hello guys,
I have been trying to install Linux in my computer for now almost a week without succes. I'm totally a newbie so I don't know the tricks around yet.

I have tried:

-Slackware 9.1 -no video, monitor turns off when opening X (kde?)
-Kannopix 3.3 -live cd worked great but no sound, I didn't install it to hd
-Redhat 9 -no video, monitor turns off when trying to open the insallation screen, this pic is the last screen I see when goes off.

I have a gatewat 700x pc with p4 2.53G, 512MB, nvidia geforce4 ti 4200 (128mb) and a pdf1810 monitor.

what could be the problem? I tried to do the text installation version and everything went fine; it had the right names for my monitor and video card but when i first rebbot after the installation was completed, the same thing happened.... monitor goes off.

I saw it has an option for loading drivers from a disk, but don't know how to load those, the file in nvidia site (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run) is too big for a floppy... how do you load the drivers or reconfigure the video settings?

any help would be great...

thanks
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive
zkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-03, 12:33 AM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Not your fault, but fixable

The driver it identifies for your card (shown on the screen posted) is VESA generic, which to my knowledge will not function properly. Instead it should be using 'nv' as a generic Geforce or Riva chipset card.

What distribution do you currently have running? (I'm assuming RH9 to continue my comment for now)

If you can get to text mode, you need only edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config using a text editor (vi or pico recommended). Where you see the line:
Driver "vesa"
change the "vesa" to "nv"

and reboot. This should allow the system to work temporarily until you install the nVidia driver. Its important to know that X works (graphical mode) at this stage, without the added issues of the new driver.

If you cannot get to text mode, which is pretty likely, this will be necessary:
in the boot loader (grub assumed for RH9)
select your boot item (linux), push p and enter password if you set one in the installer
select the line that starts with kernel (something like this):
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9-bk19 ro root=LABEL=/
and push e to edit, add a "1" to the end to make it look like this:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-test9-bk19 ro root=LABEL=/ 1
and push enter, then b to boot.
When you reach the text mode login as root, edit the file as mentioned above, then type:
telinit 5

Having fixed that, you should be able to download the driver file, and follow other suggestions for installation you've read.
Post your success

from text mode you can download the driver, using the wget program. simply type:
wget <url>
where the <url> is the exact url to the file, not to the download page (deep link to the file itself) the file is saved to the current directory
Old 11-18-03, 09:40 AM   #3
zkorpio

Thank you very much LordMorgul,
I'll try to do all that... I hope i can...? :-)

Quote:
The driver it identifies for your card (shown on the screen posted) is VESA generic, which to my knowledge will not function properly. Instead it should be using 'nv' as a generic Geforce or Riva chipset card.
It actually showed as Nvidia Geforce 4 -generic and my monitor was the correct one (FPD1810) but the vertical and horizontal settings were different than the specs of my monitor (ver -hor sync); but anyway.... I'll do what you just said, I just hope I do it right and make it work...!!!

...forgot to say I also tried Mandrake 9.1 and didn't worked too, I'm just about to drop it and continue with windows and Mac... but I really would like to try it.

Would make any difference if I buy a "retail" version of a distro? is there any difference between downloading the isos and buy the cds?

I''ll come back to post if I had succes...

Thanks again LordMorgul
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive
Old 11-18-03, 09:49 AM   #4
zkorpio

...just wondering, what if I reinstall redhat 9? what should i type at the installer screen to get to the graphic installation?

-----------------------------------------------

This is also the screen i get before getting to the anaconda one... this are the "default" drivers right?

...ciao
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive

Last edited by zkorpio; 11-18-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 09:55 AM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

No difference what so ever to buying the distro in this regard. The difference is a) peace of mind knowing you furthered linux (at least that distros lifespan anyway), and b) included apps + some level of support difference with some distros.

It won't behave any differently. The problem is unfortunately, that some combination of your hardware (mobo or card) makes the distro decide to use the very basic video support of 'vesa' where it doesn't belong. The riva chipset support is proper, which is the 'nv' driver, and changing that should have it working (with a bit of luck thrown in I'll add, there are no guarentees anywhere)

If you're able to select which card to use (not sure you're getting that far or not) then select a Geforce 2 generic or TNT, it will use the 'nv' driver for those.

Read up on some editor commands if necessary, a simple introduction to vi is here:
http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

The early screen you show there is actually created with a lower level driver than it is trying to load later. That should be what it continues to use in the lowres install mode. However, if it continues to blackscreen, then text install may be your best option. Above I assumed you had the install completed, you'll need the install done in order to switch to the 'nv' driver (unless someone is aware of a switch to request that at installer bootup, which I'm not aware of).

To enter lowres mode, I believe its:
linux lowres

and regular graphical mode is simply:
linux

the options on F2 should show you these.

Last edited by LordMorgul; 11-18-03 at 10:04 AM.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-03, 10:17 AM   #6
zkorpio

yes, I have tried....
linux lowres- same problem as <enter>
linux noprobe- same
linux dd- didn't know what to do (don't have floppy for drivers)
linux askmethod- same thing

....ok, I just noticed why you said about the VESA driver, the pictures I'm using are actually from gateway.com... i'm using them as an example; instead of showing VESA driver generic, it says nvidia geforce4 generic and my monitor model fpd1810.... sorry about that, my fault
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive
Old 11-18-03, 10:26 AM   #7
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Ah, ok. no problem.

So you haven't installed at all. Can you proceed with the text mode? Certainly not as pretty but if you follow the basic install pattern it works well. Once it boots after install you may face the 'vesa' instead of 'nv' issue. I've seen this several times when the install seemed to be fine, but never on a ti4200 yet.
Old 11-18-03, 10:36 AM   #8
zkorpio

I actually had installed redhat but i'm reinstalling now because somehow I blowed my partition of windows xp...
right now i'm reinstalling redhat 9 using the text mode, i'm at the bootloader configuration and it has two fields for me to type something... leave it blank?
--- hdd=ide-scsi______________
--- [ ] force use of LBA32 (not normally required)

it would be great if somebody would be abla to just connect to my computer and do like a remot installation... but that's too much to ask... huh?! lol not that i don't want to do it my self, but i can't do it without help... like many other i guess....
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive

Old 11-18-03, 01:51 PM   #9
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Hope you went ahead and pushed forward with the install, that option can be changed later, and is most likely fine as it was given.

Textmode install can be tough because of less available help docs in it to explain.
Old 11-18-03, 02:08 PM   #10
zkorpio

Quote:
If you can get to text mode, you need only edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config using a text editor (vi or pico recommended). Where you see the line:
ok, I somehow i was able to get to use vi but don't know what to do there.... i just see many ~ lines and at the bottom "etc/x11/xf86config" [new file] 0,0-1 ALL

and tried the gwet but couldn't connect (something about host)
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive
Old 11-18-03, 05:57 PM   #11
zkorpio

sorry to bother again... but i can't find the xf86config, it's like it doesn't exist, if i type:
# vi xf86config
it looks like it's about to create a new file becuae it doesn't have any information... and at the bottom it says---> "xf86config" [new file] 0,0-1 All

I can goto /etc but it doesn't want to show /x11 ... when I'm at /etc I type dir and I see X11 listed but when I type #cd /x11 it display "no such file or directory"

help... please?
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive
Old 11-18-03, 06:50 PM   #12
zkorpio

I did it!!! not bad for a newbie.. huh?
I updated the driver and edited xf86config with vi...

Thanks for your help "LordMorgul"
FPD1810-display
80GB Hard Drive