Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 11:32 PM   #13
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

ROTFLMAO @ 2 girl/s/guy/s above me

Vsync limits your framerate.
Old 07-28-02, 11:39 PM   #14
prydah
WC3 - DOTA

Quote:
Vsync limits your framerate
u r right enabling vsync limits your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate and by doing that it allows the monitor to completely display the image thereby getting rid of most tearing and the game looks a whole lot better at the expense of speed.
prydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 01:28 AM   #15
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
ROTFLMAO @ 2 girl/s/guy/s above me

Vsync limits your framerate.
i was responding to this
Quote:
I'd like to see the day when the framerate WAS ALWAYS AT 85fps....

Then I would consider turning off vsync.
what kind of monitor doesn't support an 85Hz refresh rate
Old 07-29-02, 01:44 AM   #16
volt

30.30 + rivatuner 11.1
very stable, cant complain here
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 09:59 AM   #17
oXygen

Thumbs down

The Detonator 30.30s don't work fine for me. I lost several hundred 3Dmarks tru them.
I'll now continue to use the 29.42s...
Old 07-29-02, 11:24 AM   #18
fishlung
"Steempy, you nVeediot!"

After going for some more aggressive RAM timings, my score improved quite a bit. I turned VSync off for the 3DMark bench, just to see how high it would go, but I always enable it in games. I haven't had any issues with 30.30, and I'm also using the newest RivaTuner. Things are darn spiffy.
fishlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 09:15 PM   #19
StealthHawk

3dmark automatically disables vsync when it runs, so you don't have to disable it
Old 07-30-02, 10:57 AM   #20
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Thumbs up

I'm gonna try out the suggested UT settings in RivaTuner this evening. Currently I play the game in OpenGL, but I'm curious what D3D will be like with it tweaked as mentioned. (never mind the compressed textures- I deal with the 'sliding' issue in certain maps of ladder servers right now, and without the S3TC stuff/in D3D, this issue disappears).

Old 07-30-02, 05:34 PM   #21
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up 30.30 rock for me under 98se!

They let me play GTA3 with 2x aniso enabled and it's still smooooooth! I tried the 30.00 set and it didn't let me get away with it, there is definately something special up with the 30.30 set.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 03:50 AM   #22
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
3dmark automatically disables vsync when it runs, so you don't have to disable it
Doesn't seem to be able to when forcing vsync on in RT.
Old 07-31-02, 04:27 AM   #23
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R

Doesn't seem to be able to when forcing vsync on in RT.
i don't use RT to force vsync on or off in D3D, there's really no reason to. the default setting in the drivers is to let applications determine whether vsync stays on or off. and since i haven't noticed tearing in any of my games in D3D it would seem that vsync stays on.

of course if you change the setting to "always on" 3dmark can no longer turn it off, as you have taken control away from the app and forced it on.

take into consideration that i have no tried to verify this information, but it was revealed to me in these forums some time ago. and it would only make sense for a benchmarking program to turn vysnc off automatically. otherwise, it would be usless. actually, i take that back. i have verified it because i see framerates higher than my monitor's refresh rate while running 3dmark
Old 07-31-02, 06:34 AM   #24
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

anybody got an idea when the 30.xx drivers will be made OFFICIALLY available from Nvidia.com or Gainward.com

I don't like using leak drivers (sue me! )