Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-03, 10:17 PM   #1
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007
Default Can ping Google.com, Can tracert Google.com, but can't see Google.com?

OK fella's, figure this one out.

I can ping Google.com, I can tracert Google.com, I can access the website from RH9 that I have setup to dual-boot on this PC, I access it from the 4 other PC's in the house...but I can't access Google.com from this PC under WindowsXP?!?! I can get to all it's wonderful services by using http://216.239.37.99/, but when I type http://www.google.com I get this...

My googlebar doesn't work either. I can't type a search into the box and get it to work. The bar set itself as the default search engine, so when I screw up a URL I bounce from one error screen to another. I uninstalled the bar with no change. I reinstalled the new version of the bar with no change. This has been going on for about a month and a half now.

What in the hell is going on????

EDIT

OK idea...anybody know how to flush the DNS list in XP?
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:41 PM   #2
Clay

Default Re: Can ping Google.com, Can tracert Google.com, but can't see Google.com?

Quote:
Originally posted by intercede007
OK idea...anybody know how to flush the DNS list in XP?
Try this at the command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

You can also type ipconfig /? to see full listing/explanation of switches.

Also, might be worthy checking your "hosts" file (located in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc")...check for any funny stuff in there. You should just see "127.0.0.1 localhost" as the only uncommented line in that file.

HTH!
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-03, 10:46 PM   #3
Clay

Some more potential help for your situation:

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/6997.html

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/7408.html

http://www.surpasshosting.com/forums...T&f=21&t=2016&

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/17561.htm

Good luck!
Old 11-17-03, 10:52 PM   #4
The Baron

spyware/adware

run Spybot.
Old 11-17-03, 10:57 PM   #5
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
spyware/adware

run Spybot.
Try Adaware too (www.lavasoftusa.com)...I've seen Adaware fix things that Spybot did not here lately...be sure to get latest update (refernce file) for Adaware.
Old 11-17-03, 11:02 PM   #6
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpower
Try Adaware too (www.lavasoftusa.com)...I've seen Adaware fix things that Spybot did not here lately...be sure to get latest update (refernce file) for Adaware.
And I've seen the opposite. How odd. Maybe the anti-spyware stuff is something of a crapshoot at this stage in the game. Give it a few years, I guess.
Old 11-17-03, 11:04 PM   #7
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
And I've seen the opposite. How odd. Maybe the anti-spyware stuff is something of a crapshoot at this stage in the game. Give it a few years, I guess.
I have seen it both ways too, you're best bet is to just try them until one fixes your problem.
Old 11-17-03, 11:05 PM   #8
The Baron

Quote:
I have seen it both ways too, you're best bet is to just try them until one fixes your problem.
Yup. I know that's the cause, though. I used a computer at school that had one of those god-awful search bars on it, and then one day, no more Google. Removed the search bar, and then, Google. Bastards.

Old 11-17-03, 11:12 PM   #9
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

This is really, REALLY messed up

I ran NortonAV again (it's run once weekly and downloads the new definitions when they become available) and I get nothing. I ran the QHost trojan detection tool off of Norton's website, nothing. I ran AdAware and used the newest definitions list, nothing.

There are two host files. In in ETC, one in Help. The one in ETC looked normal, the one in Help had a bunch of re-routed crap for Google, Hotbot and MSN. I deleted the contents of that file and deleted it entierly, and I still can't get google to work. GRRRRR....

EDIT

Actually, I think I just need to go down for a restart. As soon as I'm done with this last bit of Windows updating, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a ton fellas!!!

Now I just have to figure out how the hell this stuff got modified without Norton picking it up
Old 11-17-03, 11:17 PM   #10
Clay

I guess you did try ipconfig /flushdns... just checking

Hmmm...this sounds like a real stinker...
Old 11-17-03, 11:33 PM   #11
intercede007
American

Quote:
I guess you did try ipconfig /flushdns... just checking

Hmmm...this sounds like a real stinker...
I figured that out by googling throught the IP address a few moments before you posted that.

Thanks for all the links man, really helped me out. Still can't figure out how the hosts files got altered, but I fixed them and after a restart, all was well.

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-18-03, 07:50 AM   #12
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by intercede007
I figured that out by googling throught the IP address a few moments before you posted that.

Thanks for all the links man, really helped me out. Still can't figure out how the hosts files got altered, but I fixed them and after a restart, all was well.

Thanks again guys!
Cool! Glad to hear that you got rid of the hijacking crap on your rig.