Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-13, 07:08 PM   #1
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default I will use windows 8 when they allow multiple free activations

Up until recently, I have been using windows 8 64 bit OEM. My friends dad gave me a copy of windows 7 home premium upgrade retail that was activated once. One thing to note for you using windows 8 upgrade version retail/digital download for us system builders, if you make a major change to hardware like say motherboard, you don't get to reactivate for free like you do in windows 7 retail. Windows 7 retail lets your reactivate about 20-30 times when upgrading major hardware without buying a new key. Windows 8 upgrade, if you upgrade major hardware, you will have to buy a new copy or new key from microsoft. So, now you know why windows 8 upgrade was so cheap when it 1st came out. They probably thought they could make mass sales off of it then the price went up to like $250 or something like that for the upgrade. Stupid Marketing by Microsoft. They should keep it at $40 and go for volume sales,not big ones. And for me, I don't like having to rebuy OEM copies at $100 a pop when I can invest in a windows 7 retail copy (or one was given to me in this case) that I can use for quite some time before having to buy a new copy of a OS.
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 03:17 PM   #2
DvST8

Default Re: I will use windows 8 when they allow multiple free activations

You can reactivate Windows 8 or 8.1 after a motherboard or other hardware change for free.
Just use the automated phone system, you don't even have to talk to anyone.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...s-8-phone.html
DvST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 08:28 AM   #3
wheeljack12

it would have been nice if MS would have made it a little more obvious. Would have saved me $100 on my OEM copy since I bought the $40 upgrade copy when it came out last oct. Effin A-holes!
gigabyte z97x gaming gt mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790 3.6 ghz quad core cpu, zotac gtx 970 4gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0,evga 1200p2 1200watt 80 plus platinum psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,lg 16x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, zalman zm-gm3 8200 dpi mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,adata 16gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech z906 5.1 speakers

Old 09-05-13, 09:15 PM   #4
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Something to think about.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...o-be-cloud-os/

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 12:00 PM   #5
wheeljack12

something I wanted to let people know. If you purchased Windows 8 via download (I also purchased the backup dvd) that if you lose your email with the activation key, just call microsoft's windows support line. They will be more than willing to resend your key to a email of your choice (it doesn't have to be the email that you used when you purchased windows 8). At least now I have a copy of windows (windows 8 64 bit pro)that will now be cost effective in being able to reactivate again and again in the sense that I don't have to keep repurchasing OEM copies of windows when I upgrade hardware. And I am also glad that MS is making windows 8.1 retail copes full versions instead of upgrades with the non-pro version (it can use up to I think 128gb of ram or higher)being below the price of windows 7 hp that only allows 16gb of ram. And to make yourself completely happy, there are two software vendors (iobit and sodatsw) a least that make FREE windows 8/8.1 start menu programs that skip the metro screen and go right to the desktop with full windows 7 start menu capability. I know also that totalidea software also makes a start menu program, it acts and feel like a extension of the metro menu in the sense it's not functional enough and looks too pretty.

PS.here is the site with the global phone numbers for contacting microsoft directly:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cust...modalityType=2

Old 10-14-13, 02:14 AM   #6
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvST8 View Post
You can reactivate Windows 8 or 8.1 after a motherboard or other hardware change for free.
Just use the automated phone system, you don't even have to talk to anyone.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...s-8-phone.html
Sure it...works...just that by the time you are forced to use a phone activation, chances are you WILL have to talk to somebody, because they want to ask you how many PC's you have it installed on, because it's already been activated past their threshold (and by the way, it doesn't matter whether or not you tell them the truth - I guess they just assume that you'd much easier lie to a computer than a person.) And even then, that is only after you've tried and failed twice to enter a long string of numbers, which takes several minutes, and then you have to repeat the process YET AGAIN with that person instead of the automated system. About half of the time I've done this, I've had to actually give the numbers to two different people, with the first one giving me the activation key twice only to have it fail twice after saying the key is good. In the end you can very well have to go through giving the other side the installation ID 5 times, and having to wait for them to read the activation key to you 3 times. And that's not even counting the time you wait on hold, which ads yet more time.

I went through exactly that the time I most recently installed Windows 8, by the way, and it wasn't even due to multiple activations, rather the activation scheme didn't like the way I used an upgrade key to install a fresh copy, and then added Windows Media Center on top of it. I think I was on the phone a good 40 minutes.

It's so annoying, I hate it. Windows 7 I no longer bother to even use my legitimate keys (I own even more copies than I actually use,) I simply run Daz's pirate loader and be done with it - it's so much easier that way. I'd love it if they made a similar loader for Windows 8.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 06:35 AM   #7
wheeljack12

I feel bad for you Rakeesh. I have only had to talk by phone to re-activate windows. That was a copy of win xp pro 64 bit OEM that I had to lie my ass off about that my system builder (was actually me) upgraded the system and I needed to reactivate. MS went for it and gave me a new activation. I don't think they would go for it today. Anyhow, Don't talk about piracy or pirate related software on public message boards,K? Not good policy.