Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-03, 09:42 PM   #37
Sledge
kushi-kushi

NWN is excellent. Forget the OC and download some real modules from the NWVault.
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | 2x512MB Samsung DDR333 | Western Digital 120GB SE | LiteOn 52x24x32 CDRW | Toshiba 16x DVD | Leadtek GeForceFX 5900 Non-Ultra (oc'd to 450/950) | Hauppauge WinTV350 | Viewsonic P225f 22" CRT | Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS | Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 | Sennheiser HD600 | Logitech Elite keyboard | Logitech MX500 mouse | Windows XP Pro SP1
Antec SX1000 | Seasonic Super Tornado 400 | Zalman CNPS7000A on Fanmate | 4x Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmates | Zalman 80C-HP w/ Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmate (coming soon)
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 01:44 AM   #38
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Sledge
NWN is excellent. Forget the OC and download some real modules from the NWVault.
Really. Saying NWN sucks based on the single player campaign is like saying Quake 2 sucks based on its single player gameplay.

The only excuse for not liking NWN is not liking RPG's in general.

But, I do have to say, Knights of the Old Republic is just made much better than NWN was. It has far fewer nuisances, and it really puts you in the game. In some ways, KOTOR is much like NWN with a very streamlined interface.
Old 11-26-03, 07:02 AM   #39
Sledge
kushi-kushi

What makes NWN so good is the Aurora toolset. So what if the OC sucks? There's tons of much better single-player material available for download. Check out the NWVault and get some of the top rated and Hall of Fame modules. Series like Penultima, Penultima Rerolled, Shadowlords, Dreamcatcher, In The Company of Thieves, The Claw Chronicles, A Harpers' Tale, Crypt of Riddles, A Call for Heroes, and Parthenon are just amazing. There are plenty of single, non-series modules that are also very good like Pool of Radiance, Spires of Ravenloft, Elegia Eternum, Keep on the Borderlands, The Vethboro Dragon, Sex and the Single Adventuress, and Monty Python Adventures: Arthur Meets a Moose.

There are literally hundreds of hours of good quality community made content available.
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | 2x512MB Samsung DDR333 | Western Digital 120GB SE | LiteOn 52x24x32 CDRW | Toshiba 16x DVD | Leadtek GeForceFX 5900 Non-Ultra (oc'd to 450/950) | Hauppauge WinTV350 | Viewsonic P225f 22" CRT | Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS | Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 | Sennheiser HD600 | Logitech Elite keyboard | Logitech MX500 mouse | Windows XP Pro SP1
Antec SX1000 | Seasonic Super Tornado 400 | Zalman CNPS7000A on Fanmate | 4x Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmates | Zalman 80C-HP w/ Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmate (coming soon)
Old 11-26-03, 08:26 AM   #40
Sotos

Nwn is one the best Rpg for me for a not so hard-Rpg fanatic like me

It was much more easier from Morrowind and much less boring

I am sure KOTOR will be a very good game also...
a friend of mine who has it in Xbox he liked it very much...He said it is very good made and it gives a lot of freedom of choices without making the game boring (as it is with Morrowind)

It is much better from watching the new Star Wars movie series he guarranteed it to me
-[color=blue]POWERCOLOR 9800pro 128\cat 4.1\Dx9.0b [/color] [color=red](Waiting for R420 or Nv40)[/color]
-Sounblaster Audigy 2 ZS [color=blue](using latest Creative Eax 4.0 driver)[/color]
-PSU Zalman 400W Quiet sollution
-Windows XP home SP1 + Sp2 packages
-[color=red] - Jeniffer Lopez - Ennrique Inglesia - Ricky Martin - Britney Spears are SKUNKS!!! [/color]
Sotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 09:43 AM   #41
PenguinJim

Quote:
There are literally hundreds of hours of good quality community made content available.
To people rich enough to afford an INTERNET CONNECTION maybe. All the poor people without one (or conscientious objectors to the evil Internet), what are your views on this?
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 09:56 AM   #42
PenguinJim

Oh, completed Kotor today . Was actually shorter than I expected: once I was going around Tatooine etc., I thought it was just a sort of introduction to flying around the galaxy. But it wasn't. Still, time to play as EVILPenguinJim

Bad Things About The Game:

Unequipping equipment from team members... can't they be 'auto-unequipped' when they aren't in your party any more? I couldn't find an option for that, and it meant that I occasionally left good stuff on the ship and couldn't be bothered to spend 5/10 mins going back, finding the character with the good stuff, unequipping the good stuff, boarding the ship again to choose the original character, equipping that character, and 'transitting back'...

Happened, like, 3 times .

3 types of lightsabers, bah. More than Jedi Academy, but still. I wanted a 'bent' one like Christopher Lee's!

I hit the experience cap!!!! I wasn't even trying

Ummm.... well, I suppose the bit on Taris on the start drags on a bit... yikes, not really a lot of problems with this game. Overall score of 90% sound fair? It took a day longer than Max Payne 2 to complete (although a 14-hour Dragonball marathon extended MP2's life quite a bit for me ). Roll on the Kotor expansion pack!
Old 11-26-03, 10:12 AM   #43
Sledge
kushi-kushi

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
To people rich enough to afford an INTERNET CONNECTION maybe. All the poor people without one (or conscientious objectors to the evil Internet), what are your views on this?
Use a download manager like Download Accelerator and start your downloads right before you go to bed. When I had 56k that's what I would do to get big 100 meg demo files.

Quote:
Still, time to play as EVILPenguinJim
My current character, an 8th level Scoundrel/7th level Jedi Consular is such a goody-goody, his character sheet has a blue background with a column of light behind him. Yoda could take lessons in the light side from him
Old 11-26-03, 10:55 AM   #44
PenguinJim

Quote:
Use a download manager like Download Accelerator and start your downloads right before you go to bed. When I had 56k that's what I would do to get big 100 meg demo files.
And people without ANY Internet?

Old 11-26-03, 11:04 AM   #45
Sledge
kushi-kushi

Quote:
And people without ANY Internet?
How are you posting then? Whistling into a phone that is dialed to an ISP?
Old 11-26-03, 12:09 PM   #46
Chalnoth

Quote:
Heh, most NWN modules are less than a megabyte. That's one great thing about NWN: it's feasible to just go online, browse for a game, and join. If you don't have the module, you can download it pretty quickly.

Quote:
My current character, an 8th level Scoundrel/7th level Jedi Consular is such a goody-goody, his character sheet has a blue background with a column of light behind him. Yoda could take lessons in the light side from him
Hehe, yep, that's both of my previous characters. Working on an evil one now...just started. I figure it'd be fun to try and stay neutral until I get to Dantooine, then go way evil. I wonder if all party members will stick around if I go evil? I also wonder if I can actually get all party members by taking the evil path? Guess I'll find out some of that this afternoon
Old 11-26-03, 02:21 PM   #47
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Maybe NWN is a good game with modules, but when I bought it the day it was released, the multiplayer was buggy, the single player was tedious, and there was nothing remotely interesting about the game for the two months that I owned it. That's enough for me to still hate it.
Old 11-26-03, 03:22 PM   #48
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
Maybe NWN is a good game with modules, but when I bought it the day it was released, the multiplayer was buggy, the single player was tedious, and there was nothing remotely interesting about the game for the two months that I owned it. That's enough for me to still hate it.
I thought Penultima, the best module I've played so far, was released within that time? I could be wrong. But, regardless, this is one of those games where if you've shelved it due to problems early-on, you are really doing yourself a disservice if you do not dust it off and try it again.