Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-03, 04:07 PM   #49
Sledge
kushi-kushi

Quote:
Originally posted by nin_fragile14
Maybe NWN is a good game with modules, but when I bought it the day it was released, the multiplayer was buggy, the single player was tedious, and there was nothing remotely interesting about the game for the two months that I owned it. That's enough for me to still hate it.
Oh well. The NWN community is still thriving and plenty of new material is being made. It's fair to say that there's a large number of people out there who don't agree with you
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | 2x512MB Samsung DDR333 | Western Digital 120GB SE | LiteOn 52x24x32 CDRW | Toshiba 16x DVD | Leadtek GeForceFX 5900 Non-Ultra (oc'd to 450/950) | Hauppauge WinTV350 | Viewsonic P225f 22" CRT | Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS | Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 | Sennheiser HD600 | Logitech Elite keyboard | Logitech MX500 mouse | Windows XP Pro SP1
Antec SX1000 | Seasonic Super Tornado 400 | Zalman CNPS7000A on Fanmate | 4x Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmates | Zalman 80C-HP w/ Panaflo 80mm L1A on Fanmate (coming soon)
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-03, 05:34 PM   #50
alucard_x

whether you chose light or dark it doesn't effect what characters you can use until you get almost to the end of the game so its no big deal. without any spoilers lets just say if you chose dark you can have a certain character usable all the way to the end and others not usable. same with light side.
alucard_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-03, 09:36 PM   #51
himura_drew

hi guys!!

On which card would this game play better: 9600XT or FX5700U? I've been hearing a lot of problems with this game and the 9600 chipsets...

Thanks!!

DESKTOP (semi-retired):
Athlon 64 2800+ @ 2.2GHz (245HTT x 9)
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
Powercolor X800 Pro 256MB GDDR3 w/ Zalman VGA Cooler plus RAM sinks @544/567 - Cats 6.11
40GB 5400 RPM Seagate HDD
Creative 8x DVD-ROM drive
Liteon CD-ReWriter 52x32x52
Task 350W PSU
WinXP Pro SP2

GAMING LAPTOP
Dell XPS M1710
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2GHz w/ 4MB L2 cache)
2GB of Dual Channel DDR2-667 RAM
Geforce Go 7950GTX w/ 512MB RAM
17" Wide-Aspect UltraSharp TFT Active Matrix WUXGA (1920x1200) display with TrueLife
80GB SATA HDD
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD
8x DVD+/- RW Combo Drive w/ dual-layer write capability
himura_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 01:04 AM   #52
bknblk
Filthy Pinko

Quote:
Originally posted by himura_drew
hi guys!!

On which card would this game play better: 9600XT or FX5700U? I've been hearing a lot of problems with this game and the 9600 chipsets...

Thanks!!
Dude,

You are running an EliteGroup MB. I think videocard selection just might be the least of your worries. Plus, what a bottleneck an 1800+ would be for any card over a ti4600.
The whole idea of a Palestinian nation and a Palestinian people is an invention of Arab propaganda. Arafat was himself an Egyptian. The only people to have lived continuously on the land from time immemorial are Jews. So many others have conquered, ruled, thrived and ultimately perished there that the list would take hundreds of pages. A mere sample would include: Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Turks, Circassians, Kurds, Abbassids (Iraqis), Egyptians, Kharezmians (Genghis Khan), Mamluks, Mongols, Latins (Crusaders), Ottomans, French and English.

It is not and never was Palestinian land.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."....Ronald Reagan

"You guys are still crying about Fox News? Damn you little sandy vagina metro sexual emos need to grow a pair of balls."....UDawg(FTMFW)
bknblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 09:53 AM   #53
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by himura_drew
hi guys!!

Thanks!!
Don't listen to the previous poster on the 1800+ being a bottleneck. The CPU is never the bottleneck if you pump up the resolution high enough. And getting a NV3x or R3xx would be quite a bit better than a Ti 4600 right now, as you can turn on all the features in games with either card.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. The GeForce FX 5900 is about the same price, and has significantly higher performance. The 5700 Ultra just hasn't fallen in price enough to be worth it. The FX 5900 (non-Ultra) is available for about $200 online.
Old 12-05-03, 06:12 PM   #54
bknblk
Filthy Pinko

That is OK, nobody listens to me anyway. Never the less, my statement is correct. Go ahead and put a 5900 ont that 1800+ rig, turn the res up to 16x12 and let me know your framerate.
The whole idea of a Palestinian nation and a Palestinian people is an invention of Arab propaganda. Arafat was himself an Egyptian. The only people to have lived continuously on the land from time immemorial are Jews. So many others have conquered, ruled, thrived and ultimately perished there that the list would take hundreds of pages. A mere sample would include: Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Turks, Circassians, Kurds, Abbassids (Iraqis), Egyptians, Kharezmians (Genghis Khan), Mamluks, Mongols, Latins (Crusaders), Ottomans, French and English.

It is not and never was Palestinian land.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."....Ronald Reagan

"You guys are still crying about Fox News? Damn you little sandy vagina metro sexual emos need to grow a pair of balls."....UDawg(FTMFW)
bknblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 06:34 PM   #55
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by bknblk
That is OK, nobody listens to me anyway. Never the less, my statement is correct. Go ahead and put a 5900 ont that 1800+ rig, turn the res up to 16x12 and let me know your framerate.
Not much lower than it would be with an Athlon XP 3000+. You should actually try the comparison. Some time ago, I actually had to deal with what was at the time a pretty low-end CPU, but had a high-end graphics card.

With most games, I could run at 1024x768x32 with all game details turned on high (no FSAA/aniso at that time, of course) at about the same performance as the games ran at 640x480. The GPU was a GeForce DDR, the CPU a Celeron operating at about 400Mhz. I guarantee you I noticed a massive difference between that GeForce DDR and my previous RIVA TNT, despite the fact that the CPU was more a "TNT-era" CPU.

It is very, very possible to get a lot out of a high-end graphics card with what is considered a "slower" CPU. But, even then, an Athlon XP 1800+ is not that slow.
Old 12-06-03, 01:04 AM   #56
Phillychuck

Someone help me start liking KOTOR please.

$50 down the spout cause I read about how great is was and I find controlling myself and the party members anoying. I did like Dungeon Siege tho.. hmm..

Game seems really slow paced, and I'm not sure which professions to advance in, and I'm one of these people who recreate characters if I'm not happy with them..and with 9000 text dialogs the game would drive me nuts.

-Chuck
Phillychuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-03, 04:12 AM   #57
Darth Rancid
DeltaChromeF1

The game runs horribly choppy on my machine..
Nothing helps, not the betapatch that is avalible just for mainboards of my type, (i845), not lowering details or resolutions, (which shouldn't be the problem consdering my VPU, (9500P), probably is an overmatch to my CPU), and not even overclocking the little Celery to 3.2Ghz makes the slightest bit of difference....

I guess there are nothing to do but hope for the officiel patch to come out, whicj should be next week... in the official KOTOR forums there are lots of people with similar problems... most of them with the same type om intel mainboard chipset.. but some AMD guys as well...

I run WinXP and the 3.9Cats...

Edit: I have just noticed that the games sytem analyzer reports that my Radeon9500Pro does not match "recommended hardware" which is supposed to be Rad9200 or better... hmm..
Also, it reports my Pinnacel TV card as its sound system... weird. It does this even if I disable the TV card in the hardware manager.

Last edited by Darth Rancid; 12-06-03 at 08:48 AM.
Darth Rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 02:51 PM   #58
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillychuck
Someone help me start liking KOTOR please.
Try not worrying so much about your character the first time through. You'll get to play all character types through party members that join.

The easiest is usually to just play the fighter-type (which is the Soldier in this case). Anyway, don't expect to know what to do the first time through if you're a fanatic on character development.

Also, you shouldn't need to do hardly any micromanagement in this game. The AI controlling your party members usually works pretty well.
Old 12-06-03, 03:53 PM   #59
The Baron

uh, did you play Baldur's Gate? NWN? ANY actual non-complete-action-RPG? because if Dungeon Siege is all you have to go by... yeah, you're probably going to hate it. it's an entirely different genre than DS, despite the visual similarites. but give it a chance, and don't worry about powergaming the first time through.
Old 12-06-03, 04:11 PM   #60
netviper13
Treehugger

Quote:
Originally posted by bknblk
Why do you think they turn the Rez down to 640x480 when doing a CPU comparison? Because it takes the GPU out of the picture. As the resolution goes up, the CPU is doing the same amount of work with particle effects, AI, physics, and such; the GPU work is the only thing significantly increasing because it has a hell of a lot more pixels worth of data to process each cycle.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote