Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-02, 05:40 AM   #13
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

IF the shadows don't change I know that I will not play with them enabled because they don't add IQ IMHO. They look annoying.
Old 07-31-02, 06:18 AM   #14
SavagePaladin
info*****

They will. Sheesh.
Old 07-31-02, 06:32 AM   #15
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
I suspect if the Unreal games were released post DX9 they'd have some fancy graphics effects too.

As to the shadows, yeah I noticed that, but I doubt they've got everything working perfectly this early in the game anyway
isn't Unreal 2 coming out post DX9? i have heard nothing about it's release date, which signifies to me it will be lucky to be released in November at the earliest. same time as DX9 is scheduled

i'm assuming here that Unreal 2 still exists as a project and is actually coming out, and did not at some point morph into the multiplayer UT2003.

Old 07-31-02, 09:24 AM   #16
de><ta
prodigy

shadows would look nice if there was a blend between dark shadows and lighter ones.

Apart from that the game looks very nice.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
Old 07-31-02, 10:01 AM   #17
ExitWound

Send a message via AIM to ExitWound

I have to say that colored lighting is very infrequent in real life. It seems to find itself among scifi flicks, usually the bad ones. Take Aliens, one of the only 4-star scifi fliks. Everything is GREY GREY GREY. The Doom vision of the future is much the same way, mining colonies, huge reactors. I don't see why grey and white lighting wouldnt' be standard. You don't see many neon signs, purple vapor lights floating around science stations and/or vessels. Usually they're centralized in Las Vegas type cities. (Total Recall's Mars). When true dark scifi emerges (Event Horizon, Alien), grey is the most abundant color, creating that ever-present gloomy/eerie/undead atmosphere.

As for the pics themselves, I don't find the pointy heads and lack of tesselation appealing when the hype is so... hyped up... over high polygon counts. I thought it was supposed to be a 'new generation' of video goodness. Slowly adding the ability to manipulate bumpmapping, shadows, specularity, opacities and such in real time is fascinating, but rather just a 'next step' which would eventually come, nothing amazingly groundbreaking. It's similar to the addition of 32-bit support, or dynamic lights, or whatever.

I'm going to say i'm 100% positive this game will end up being nothing more than a graphics lump, just like Wolfenstein. Single player was horrible, multiplayer was lacking innovation. It just looked pretty. What i need from this title is gameplay, and from these pictures, it's safe to say that there will not be more than a few enemies on the screen at once, if the developers intend this to be played by everyone who doesn't own a 3Ghz cpu and an nv30. I'm not going to be thrilled if it's a theif/deus ex 'sneaker' rather than a full blown shooter. RCTW failed in that light as well. The original was nothing but run n gun, and that's how the sequels should be. Leave the clones to come up with the innovative gameplay, keep the stories and gameplay similar. What would we have though if Elevator Action II featured escalators?! What if Ms. PacMan was a fighting game? The title of the game has a LOT to do with who will buy it. Because this is Doom, I sure hope that they don't disappoint with Me v 1 or 2 enemies. The original was amazing because it featured Me v 30 or Me v 50 enemies at once. Sure, that type of play is dated now, but that IS the essence of Doom, and always will be. If you mutuate it into a 'sneaker', then the atmosphere will look pretty, but that's all. I definitely won't be saying to myself "I'm playing Doom".

Pretty lights and bumpmaps are neat, but in the end, gameplay is what it's about. If we get 10 hours of gameplay like Max Payne, the $60 they are probably going to sell Doom for will be a RIPOFF. 10 hours is nothing. Doom always took a long time to beat due to the 30+ levels, 1000+ enemies they threw at us. I hope this time, they don't fail. I'm not expecting them to pass from flying colors though from what I've seen so far.
I'm the Heavy Metal Thunderstriking Jesus. "
Old 07-31-02, 11:27 AM   #18
elusive

i like the idea of less, but smarter enemies

i think with this new layout, getting thru is going to be much more challenging.

not just in a linear fashion, ie. walk thru this door and on to the next level.

everyone always complains about "see a guy, shoot him,,,,pick up powerups, see 230239 guys, shoot them all"

well now people are saying "we want the old stlye"

wtf make up yer mind =]

no one seems to have confidence in id software either, but their team looks pretty good (trent reznor / real storywriters...etc)
Old 07-31-02, 11:51 AM   #19
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

If it was run and gun, like the other Dooms, there would be thousands of people bitching about it. If it's slower paced, more Resident-evil style, there will be thousands of people bitching about it. I'm just happy they're making a new game with this great tech, and if it's good, it's GOOD, regardless of the "style" of fps it is.
Old 07-31-02, 01:23 PM   #20
de><ta
prodigy

from the game play vid it looked more 1 on 1 kinda combat or at max 5.

I hope the story is good. SOF2 the gameplay is loaded but the story... bah

Music and the sound track for it, oh boy can't wait for that

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Old 07-31-02, 01:55 PM   #21
PCarr78

It's not that i hate doom3.

It's just that i dont want it to be a disappointment

What was Half Life?pretty much all run-and-gun.

The difference is that it never got old. I don't know why I liked that game so much. All it was, was a shooter, where all you did was kill everybody. There were just some friendly NPCs thrown in for the hell of it. Yet it remained fun and refreshing.

About lighting, There wasn't much colored lighting in HL either. Then again, bot everything was 100% grey/brown/green/black

I've seen enough of that in Doom, Doom2, Quake, and Quake2.

I want a more realistic facility.

Red Faction also comes to mind as a generaly fun game with nice environments and lighting.
Old 07-31-02, 01:56 PM   #22
PCarr78

Oh, and is it 100% sure that Trent will be doing the music?

If so, then it would be really *NICE*
Old 07-31-02, 02:35 PM   #23
elusive

just looked at the new pics again

and i feel a lil dissapointed.

i THEN went and watched the ingame play rip (cam) from a while back, and WOW,

just goes to show you that

1) these pics may be old, who knows

2) screenshots DO NOT do real-time-lighting justice!!!
Old 08-01-02, 08:47 AM   #24
de><ta
prodigy

comparing the pics from doom3 with the ut2k3 game on my friends comppota, I reckon ut2k3 looks way better. Dont know, so far i never was able to come to that decision but now i have, even the environment in ut2k3 is brilliant.

Closed Thread