Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-03, 09:59 AM   #85
Riptide

I suppose you are right about reserving final judgement for the release copy and not this demo.

That said, at least Halo didn't have any real problems other than performance issues (IMO). Lack of coop was disappointing, but supposedly will be coming with a patch.

What do you think of this guy's sentiments regarding this demo:

"I'm pretty diappointed. I have been looking forward to this game more than HL2 and Doom3, and it looks like the Xbox has dragged it down into the abyss. It has gone completely "console", the performance is mediocre on high end systems, the HUD is godawful, no body specific damage to your character, a shotgun blast to the head doesn't kill a guard, crouch is toggle only, and there is a "unified ammo" system. Al weapons draw on the same ammo supply. Bloody mess, Ugh. And the mouse control is anything but smooth, like unreal 1 on a TNT1.

I'm quite crestfallen, I f**king hate the X-Box, it is killing PC games."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 10:08 AM   #86
digitalwanderer

I can't disagree with the guys summary, although I do think it was a bit more negative than the game warrants. (Although in fairness if I had been looking forward to this game I'd be feeling some crushing disapointment too.)
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 10:54 AM   #87
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

check out the petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/DXIWDemo/petition.html
Old 11-22-03, 10:59 AM   #88
Riptide

Ouch... A petition. That's ugly.
Old 11-22-03, 11:44 AM   #89
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
check out the petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/DXIWDemo/petition.html
I signed. It'll do no good, but I hate the unified ammo!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-22-03, 12:17 PM   #90
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Signed also

Edit: I'd put up with many months of delays if they had the system like in the original in the end.
Old 11-22-03, 12:47 PM   #91
Riptide

I signed the petition even though I hadn't planned on buying the game. I figure why not... Sounds like a lot of people are disappointed and I might as well add my voice to the chorus.
Old 11-22-03, 12:57 PM   #92
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Red face

Think i signed twice on petition for Deus Ex first one was last year and now again they did not change anything and not gonna

Is it me or all new games suck in compraision to First releases except for graphics

Old 11-22-03, 01:06 PM   #93
Riptide

Actually, I thought Homeworld 2 was a worthy sequel.

At least, I wasn't severely disappointed in it. I also enjoyed playing Elite Force II. So there are two sequels that I liked.

Seems these games are kinda like movies where usually the sequel doesn't live up to the original. Maybe we should just start expecting this crap... Then our expectations might not get so high and we might end up being pleasantly surprised sometimes.
Old 11-22-03, 01:25 PM   #94
digitalwanderer

Thanks to Hinkle over at warp2search for clueing me in to how to make your setting stay.

Just go to "C:\Documents and Settings\Bubbles\My Documents\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\user.ini" (Where "Bubbles" is your login name and under 9x/me it'd just be "C:\My Documents\Deus Ex - Invisible War Demo\user.ini") and disable read-only on the file.

That's it, your settings will stay and it's the file to poke around with for fun. I'm gonna try and use it to enable a console somehow.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-22-03, 01:56 PM   #95
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Well, im not going to call it a disapointment yet, but the graphics arent as realistic as I had hoped, it runs very poorly on my comp (and considering the graphics quality, this makes no sense at all), the overall feel of Deus Ex is there, but its deffinitly not the same game.....

Unified ammo? What the f#$@ is that? What freaking moron decided that all guns would use the same ammo supply? WHY DOES MY FLAME THROWER USE 12GAUGE BUCKSHOT AND PISTOL AMMO??? To say they did that to simplify the game is a insult to the player... do they think people dont understand the concept behind shotgun ammo fitting shotguns and flame thrower ammo fitting flame throwers? Its probably just laziness... they didnt feel like having to stash ammo all over the place. One of the best parts of DX was finding armories or storage houses because they always had special ammo and weapon upgrades... both of which are gone in this game. Also, the interface isnt bad but its totaly overdone and confusing.... I think they should have made a SIMPLE interface and made the GAME more complex....

What I did like is the physics and the physics-sound (is that what they called it?) feature. Tossing cans, boxed and bodies and stuff is so damned realistic... anyone throw a body onto the dumpster? The body will actually slowly slide off the top and then fall.

Im not passing final judgement on this game, but judging by the performance and a few of the just plain DUMB features Ive seen so far, I dont know if Im going to be spending $50 on it.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 02:01 PM   #96
The Baron

I feel like playing original Deus Ex again now.