Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-19-03, 06:41 PM   #1
vargis

Angry ETA for Updated Linux Driver for 5700Ultra

For anyone with a new NVidia 5700Ultra card, you are out of luck for 3D acceleration under Linux (at least in the near future). It appears NVidia no longer cares about us. As much as I like the NVidia products and drivers and their previous support for Linux, I'm afraid my next video card purchase will be a Radeon (**cringes**). I guess this downward spiral NVidia has been in, is not just a temporary slump. I specifically bought this card because of NVidia's great history, and despite the apparent superiority of ATI's cards for price & performance recently. I've been waiting patiently for over two weeks. There should not be a whole lot of difference between this card and the previous ones. The last update for Linux drivers was back in July and they are supposed to be using a Unified Driver approach. I would even accept Beta drivers at this point!. Here is their response to my inquiry....

Subject:
NVIDIA Support (...)

Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:38:13 -0800

**DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL---NVIDIA WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR REPLY**

New information has been added to your request:

Thank you for your email. We are still very dedicated to supporting the Linux Platform. However, unfortunately, we do not intend to release updated Linux drivers in the near future. We are working hard to release these drivers asap and hope to have them available without to much delay.

You can view and update this request by clicking on this link: ....

Thank you,
NVIDIA Support Team

vargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 06:51 PM   #2
bahamot

Quote:
geez... what a nice support
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 07:09 PM   #3
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

I think they need more Linux developers.. get out your resume's peeps.
Old 11-19-03, 09:13 PM   #4
dpw2atox

didn't someone else say nvidia was close to a release and was finishing up some last minute code cleanups? this is very disapointing to say the least. What i would like to really see would be the XFree86 nv driver become more mature and add 3d support even if it is not the fastest and develope that. This is nuts though that they are taking this long for a release. Nvidia's Windows drivers are released very often and typically have lots of betas floating around. If Nvidia doesn't plan on making a new driver release for a while they should at least offer beta's to the community to work with because one persons beta horror could be another persons savior.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 11:41 PM   #5
bahamot

Quote:
I think they need more Linux developers..
i think they need to make GPL'ed the source code
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-03, 08:38 PM   #6
selliott4

vargis,

Thanks for the information. Do you feel that you understand their reply? I'm not sure how to reconcile "we do not intend to release updated Linux drivers in the near future" and "have them available without to much delay". Does that mean that they are trying to get the driver done, but there are major technical issues that they need to overcome?

It doesn't really give me a sense of how long it might be. Is it a matter of weeks or months?
selliott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-03, 11:27 PM   #7
vargis

Default My Feelings

I believe they are working on the drivers, however, they do not consider it a priority. They will provide them when they feel like it, not when they are needed. I understand that the Windows drivers are more important in the scheme of things at the moment, but Linux is nothing to sneeze at now since many games are now being released with Linux clients. At least release Beta drivers with warnings, so we can use these cards. This would allow NVidia to continue to optimize & tweak their final drivers while allowing us to use our newly purchased cards. Remember, Linux users are much more familiar with Beta products than Windows' users.

I think NVidia is trying to expand their business so that all their income is not based on one type of product. I saw a rumor recently that NVidia is going to start making sound cards based on Aureal's Vector Audio Technology. I was very impressed with Aureal when they released their cards, but unfortunately Creative was too much for a small company even though I believe Aureal had the better technology. If this rumor is true I would definitely purchase this card, but not if NVidia discontinues support for Linux or just gets lazy providing updates.

NVidia's move into the chipset market is probably becoming their best money maker at the moment since there are so many uses for this type of product. The associated costs are most likely lower than is required for producing top of the line video cards.

Their work with MS on XBox may have taken their focus away from their own cards. The XBox deal seems to have hurt them since there were rumors MS may have changed the rules on prices with NVidia.

These three areas may be another reason NVidia has had a bad year in the video card market. Besides the video card market being very competitive, a little bad luck can severely hurt them. I saw an article recently that mentioned NVidia may have been hurt when they tried to create a standard for some pre-DirectX 9 technology (High level shaders? - I forget now), but when MS & ATI finally caught up to the point NVidia was at, they created the DirectX9 version and NVidia did not join in on their specs, perhaps because NV3x was already too far along in development to change. They may also have had some technical manufacturing problems at the same time with NV3x. All this I think, led NVidia to begin compromising their drivers to try and minimalize the performance difference. It was a business decision to help maintain the illusion of a competitive product despite some bad luck. They needed to recoup the money they spent on R&D and they had few options. I understand why they did it. I don't like it or approve, but I understand.

My personal opinion is that games should be optimized for the APIs (DirectX & OpenGL), not the video drivers for the games. Besides, the whole point of DirectX and OpenGL is for a standard interface to the graphical features which video card manufacturers attempt to implement in hardware. These are standards and the only reliable way to work with hardware. Any other method ties the program to a specific version of OS/driver (remember the old DOS days? yuk!) Consider this scenario: A game developer creates an awesome game and NVidia optimizes their drivers for it. The game developer licenses the game engine for that game to other developers who may or may not modify it for their own game. The other developers using this game engine find that their game does not perform as well as the original game. These developers will feel cheated all because the video drivers recognized GameA and provided more efficient support. GameA & GameB should perform very closely.

I think NVidia is hurting a bit right now after a very rough year. They think they can skimp a liitle on supporting Linux because there isn't enough money here, so they are directing their work to other more profitable concerns (or so they believe). I think it is time for Linux users who have purchased NVidia products to begin a letter writing campaign to alert them (NVidia and even the actual manufacturers such as BFGTech) to the need for Linux support. They need to know that slacking on Linux support WILL cost them money and lost sales. See my other post here....

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...336#post236336
Old 11-22-03, 01:27 AM   #8
lenster

Unfortunately, I bought a 5700 ultra thinking the drivers would be out in a month or so but it doesn't look that way. I can't even get the server up in 2d mode(I suspect it's a problem related to me using hte DVI out).

I guess at this point I'm going to look into ATI options. I've avoided ATI up to this point because the nvidia linux support was superior but with the new 3.2.8 drivers, it's looking like ATI has caught up to nvidia in the linux market.

I hope someone from Nvidia reads these boards because I'd like them to know that they now have practically forced me into the arms of ATI if I wanted a modern midrange card. I guess I could get a 5600 ultra or even one of the 128mb ti4200 but if Nvidia isn't going to support linux as well as ATI is(ATI is promising 6 updates a year for linux) then why should I even bother. I guess I'm going on about this because I really don't want to make the change but I see the writing on the wall and now is a good of a time as any to start making the change.

-Len
lenster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-03, 06:32 AM   #9
pii350mmxpc100

Default Re: ETA for Updated Linux Driver for 5700Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by vargis

Subject:
NVIDIA Support (...)

Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:38:13 -0800

New information has been added to your request:

Thank you for your email. We are still very dedicated to supporting the Linux Platform. However, unfortunately, we do not intend to release updated Linux drivers in the near future. We are working hard to release these drivers asap and hope to have them available without to much delay.

You can view and update this request by clicking on this link: ....

Thank you,
NVIDIA Support Team

First this:

> However, unfortunately, we do not intend to release updated Linux drivers in the near future.

And then this:

>We are working hard to release these drivers asap and hope to have them available without to much delay.

Dose that mean that Nvidia is starting from scratch. Or has that been miss read .???
pii350mmxpc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 07:30 AM   #10
Dirty

i dont belive this vargis guy/gal

he is jus trying to steer up controvery

vargis do u work for ati ? what are u trying to achive by posting this

pleaseeeeeeeeeee nvidia linux support is much better than ati
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 05:58 PM   #11
vargis

Default Disappointed by very late drivers...

Dirty, I have been buying NVidia products since the first TNT card and I have been extremely satisfied with both the cards and the drivers. When NVidia began supporting Linux, I was even more ecstatic. But now when I've been moving closer to a Linux only system, I am stuck with a hunk of junk since I've bought the 5700Ultra. The card is great in Windows, but I need it functional in Linux too. This card has been out about a month now and NVidia has had even more time than that to make sure the drivers would be functional since the card has been in development for months. Using the Unified Drivers should make releasing Linux drivers easy especially since they've been doing this for several years now. They know how to do it.

My previous post above was my opinion on what is happening at NViida and it worries me. Think about how many Linux people out there buy NVidia products because of their excellent support prior to now. If NVidia begins to slack now, then do you think Linux people will continue to buy their products if they want to play games? I repair computers everyday and when someone asks for a video card, I always recommend NVidia cards, but I won't if NVidia is changing their ways. My friends recently upgraded and were seriously considering ATI cards (including me), but I kept reminding them (and myself) about the historically troublesome compatibility issues that seem to occur with ATI's drivers. They finally bought GeForce cards. Game developers are finally providing Linux clients to their games now and I believe it is a direct result of NVidia's excellent support of Linux drivers.

My suggestion of writing letters to NVidia and the card manufacturers is to make them aware of how many people actually use their cards under Linux. That their Linux support directly affects sales of their products. In our letters I suggest we praise them for their early support of Linux and the excellent drivers they have provided up to this point, but they also need to update the drivers when a new product is released.

Dirty, you say I'm against NVidia. I have read the reviews for the past year and I've held off buying a new video card because of the poor price/performance so far since NV30 was released (I had wanted to buy the NV3x card last year). Yes, NVidia has improved with the release of the 5700Ultra. However, every single review I have read still criticizes NVidia for sacrificing image quality for performance enhancements & controversial driver optimizations. Despite all this, I held out to buy one of their products. I waited a year for the 5700Ultra which does bring NVidia back into direct competition with ATI. I am very glad for that. But recently ATI has begun to support Linux more than they have in the past. If this keeps up, Linux gamers may have no choice but to switch. We need to nudge NVidia awake.

Whenever I build or upgrade a computer, I always buy the products that have the best Linux support at the time. Linux support is one of my main criteria in selecting products. My main computer at home for gaming is going to be Linux only by next year. Currently I am dual booting, but only to learn a bit more about Linux and to determine which distribution I want to concentrate on. Remember, I did buy an NVidia product this time and I am anxiously awaiting the NV40 next year to go along with my new Athlon64 system that I want to build. Will NVidia give me a reason to buy another one or to leave them? It is all up to them, I can only attempt to open their eyes.
Old 11-22-03, 11:07 PM   #12
dpw2atox

I agree. I have bought nvidia cards for the past few years due to their excellent linux drivers. I play a few games here and then and use winex and nvidia drivers currently just work better for it but if nvidia doesnt release a driver soon im going to be very upset. More then anything it is a sign to linux users that nvidia is dedicated to linux support still. Also i feel that the longer they delay a release the more and more people will expect from the driver set. If they made many smaller driver releases then the community would be happier then just a once in a while large release which could have a major bug. well there is my 2 cents.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote