Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-23-03, 01:42 AM   #13
Dirty

i am also running linux most of the time

till now their linux support is great. i have no idea about the fx 5700 series

but AFAIK nvidia doesnt contact via email

they dont have their email listed anywhere on their website

Quote:
. However, unfortunately, we do not intend to release updated Linux drivers in the near future.
i seriuosly doubt the authencity of the email. i dont know where u got this - but its not from nvidia
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 01:54 AM   #14
lenster

well, I just bought a radeon 9600XT. I have 30 days to return it no questions asked and no restocking fee in case NVIDIA decides to release drivers in the next month or so. Wish me luck with the ATI drivers, I've heard horror stories in the past but since the 3.2.5 drivers I've heard lots of good things.

-Len
lenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 09:48 AM   #15
justinc

This seems really unlikely. I have new FX5600, 5800 and 5900 all running absolutely fine on the current drivers. It seems unlikely that there is something different about the 5700 ultra, unless someone can show otherwise. The last time the card architecture changed so much that older cards didnt work was when the fx series came out, and even then they ran, there were just odd artifacts and bits missing. Because of the unified driver I presume that many of the options (number of pipelines etc) are parameterised and read off the hardware., and others such as memory bandwidth the driver probably doesnt need to know.
justinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 10:31 AM   #16
selliott4

thought I'd post an update to my previous post as I've now able to get my 5700 Ultra to work in 1280x1024 mode: I uninstalled the nvidia driver and replaced "nvidia" with "vesa" in my XF86Config file. Admittedly I now lack accelerated OpenGL support, but my first priority is to get my ViewSonic VX900 LCD monitor to work in its native resolution of 1280x1024, which looks really nice.

Incidentally, the nvidia driver replaces the existing XFree86 libGL.so library. This seems to break xmms (both the 1.2.7 version shipped with RH 9 and version 1.2.8) as xmms crashes in the libGL.so that nvidia installed. Uninstalling the nvidia driver, which restores the XFree86 libGL.so, fixes the problem.

libGL.so is not crucial for xmms. You can prevent the crash by removing/renaming lib/xmms/Visualization/libogl_spectrum*. But it may well be that it will work correctly once drivers come out that support the 5700 Ultra.

justinc,

It may seem unlikely that there is something different about the 5700 Ultra, but there is a disproportional number of complaints about the 5700 Ultra on this board. So, as minor as the differences between the 5700 Ultra and other nvidia cards may be, it seems they are sufficient to cause problems that, hopefully, will be addressed once the next driver comes out.
selliott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 02:00 PM   #17
lenster

justinc,

The 5700, much like the 5900 and 5800, is a new chipset(NV36) requiring new drivers. If you look at the windows drivers you'll see that there were specific drivers to support full functionality of the 5700 series. Indeed, if I really wanted to, I could run it using the standard vesa driver but why would I want to do that? I play 3D accelerrated games on Linux and I'd like to get the full support for them.

What's hard to believe is that no one has come out to say "I have the 5700 running in Linux with full 3D Acceleratiuon" to counter all the claims that the 5700 under Linux doesn't work if you want 3D. Heck, even a "it doesn't work with the normal config but do this hack and it will work fine" would be welcome.

-Len
Old 11-23-03, 02:23 PM   #18
Pandemonium

Send a message via AIM to Pandemonium

Well, crap.

I've been an avid nvidia fan for years, almost purely due to their linux support. I've bought a total of four nvidia-based cards over the past few years for my machines, solely because when I was first looking for one, nvidia was the only one around with support for linux. There were hacked ATI drivers around, which worked sometimes, but NVidia had linux drivers available for download right on their site! Because of that commitment to linux support, I have had a gf2 mx200, a gf3 ti300, a gf4 ti4400, and now an fx 5700 Ultra.

I bought the fx5700 the day they were released, due to the fact that my beloved ti4400 died on me a couple weeks earlier. I had done a ton of research and reading before deciding that I would do without a computer for about three weeks while I waited for the fx5700 to be released. Let me tell you it was hell, but the thought never even crossed my mind to consider an ATI card. If a company was going to commit to putting the time and effort into supporting an underdog operating system that I love, then I feel it's worth my time and effort to support them.

So, when I got my 5700, I was elated, up until I tossed it into my machine and realized that the current drivers had no support for the card. Since NVidia has always had excellent linux driver support in the past, I figured it would be a couple days before they were available. Since then, I've been checking the NVidia website every day for the drivers. Every stinkin day. I finally made the linux driver download page my homepage to save myself the trouble. And during that time, I've had to suffer without most of my tools and software and games that I use/need, and use windows instead. And, now this...

I can't believe this. Over the past couple hours, I've done what I thought I would never do: I've been researching the ATI cards, deciding which one to buy to replace this useless FX5700. I've been forced to go to the darkside. I've finally determined that I can get a Radeon 9800 which will kick all kinds of butt over this FX5700, and will cost me maybe $20 more after my employee discount at work. And, I've also found a windows gamer at work who wants to buy this useless card from me.

It's really sad, too. I've grown to love nvidia over the years. Their excellent cards and support were always a constant, something I could rely on. I've made sure everyone I know gets one, because I know it's a great product. I've built about a dozen custom systems for classmates and friends at school who needed new computers, and every single one had an NVidia card in it. For the past year I've been working at Circuit City, I've sold dozens of NVidia cards. I always tell customers about some of my experiences with nvidia cards, their performance, and their cross-platform support. I've talked numerous die-hard ATI fans into trying out NVidia, because I knew they'd be happy with it. I even talked one of my co-workers into returning his brand new ATI in favor of the new FX cards.

But, from everything I'm reading, I have a feeling I'm going to get this Radeon 9800 and absolutely love it. All the reviews are amazing, it has full linux support, and is a great price. Just like all their cards now.

It's too bad, NVidia. You used to be the best. I guess it can't last forever, right?
Pandemonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 06:20 PM   #19
LaNcom

Don't think NVidia lost it!
I've already seen beta drivers, up to 1.0.4620, dated 2003-09-29 - there are some nice new features in that version, just wait and see. (I don't have them, and I don't know where to get them...)
I think it's difficult to update the drivers now, 'cause there's a lot to do (some new GPU's need to be supported, as well as the new OpenGL 1.5, and the imminent release of Linux 2.6.0 and XFree 4.4).

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 06:36 PM   #20
lenster

well, I can understand it may be a bad time to try to rush out drivers but a) I thought the beauty of the unified drivers was that when they were released on one platform it wasn't a large leap to release them for other platforms(I could be wrong on this) and b) if it was known that there was going to be a significant delay on the drivers, why not just release beta drivers with huge flashing lights indicating they were beta drivers so folks like myself wouldn't get stuck and end up trying other alternatives?

If anyone has any knowledge on where to get beta drivers for the 5700, speak up and let us poor souls know. I promise I wont go screaming to nvidia if they aren't perfect but so long as I can get basic 3d acceleration out of them, I'll be fine.

-Len

Old 11-23-03, 08:06 PM   #21
LaNcom

@lenster
Well, UDA drivers are nice, but it's not as easy as it seems to be - Linux/ X is very different compared to Windows.
But I don't know why Nvidia doesn't release some beta or iterim drivers, to make users of 5700 or 5950 cards happy, maybe this would be a good idea. I think it's a support issue, most people will mail-bomb Nvidia's Linux support email if those drivers won't work (pretty likely, it would be beta after all).
On the other hand, I've never seen the Windows-typical leeked beta's for Linux...

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 08:25 PM   #22
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

I doubt the unified driver architecture actually brings the majority of the driver code across platforms. Programming an abstraction layer that powerful is no small task, and while it may partially work, I just personally doubt it. What I assumed they meant by UDA was that the driver released for each separate chipset on a platform was built off the same codebase, which is entirely possible with minor tweaks for each chipset at compile time, but using the same basic driver code for the platform.
But, that doesn't attempt to explain why they don't have the new driver from this benefit (the linux codebase is already here supporting the fx59xx).

I would love to have beta drivers, but I'm sure they are concerned with the support issues of a beta. The windows betas are never officially released betas, but acquired from vid card manufacturers most often.

Last edited by LordMorgul; 11-23-03 at 08:30 PM.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 09:22 PM   #23
lenster

yub, my bad, you're right about the UDA, it's the unification of the driver across chipsets, not platform. That said, while understand the support issues, getting a beta into the linux users hands especially one tweaked to work for the nv36 chipset would be nice and would shutup folks like myself I know different support staffs have different policies but I never understood those support staffs that have a problem saying that "we dont give support for beta software/hardware". Regardless, I doubt this will change NVIDIA's approach on the subject I just figured I'd toss it out as food for thought since NVIDIA is pissing off customers like myself.

-Len
Old 11-24-03, 11:25 AM   #24
dpw2atox

whatever Nvidia does i hope they do it soon. maybe they are just waiting for the 2.6.0 kernel to be released being that they don't support devel kernels. still i would like to see nvidia release a beta driver to just make everyone happy and shut us all up for a little while. i ran countless beta drivers for windows and i very rarely had any problems at all. Plus if they release a beta and it doesn't work on my system then i go back to the current stable and lose nothing. again my 2 cents.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote