Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-03, 03:13 PM   #1
CheshireCat

Default Manage screens separately.

I've finally gotten X working with separate screens, with Xv overlay enabled on the TV. My intent is to run MythTV full-time on the TV, and use a display manager on the monitor, with a keyboard and mouse for each screen. Is that even possible? I'd really like MythTV on the TV and the desktop on the monitor without them interfering with each other, but AFAIK I would need two separate displays for this. Does anybody know a way to get what I need, or should I try bothering Nvidia with a feature request for separate X servers for each output?
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 03:25 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Appendix R of the readme discusses the multiple X screens setup, is this what you're already doing?
I use multiple X servers with one screen each, but don't have a second monitor to try setting up something like you're looking for.
Old 11-23-03, 01:44 AM   #3
CheshireCat

Yes, I have multiple screens, but I need multiple displays, or some way for the screens to be treated as separate displays. Display managers and window managers AFAIK always manage multiple screens on the same display together, so unless somebody has a better idea, for now I'll probably have to settle for running another X server on another virtual console, and switching to it to use the TV.

There's another user at Gentoo forums trying to do basically the same thing I'm doing, so it might be worth getting some people to send Nvidia a polite email about possibly getting a feature added to support fully independent displays on differenout outputs. I'm sure there are more uses for this, and more people who would want it, than I can think of.
Old 11-23-03, 05:20 PM   #4
rubberduck

maybe this may help.
http://verplant.org/multiscreen.html
it worked for me with TV-out and MX4 GPU using KDE. Two seperate Screens, one Mouse and one keyboard.
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-03, 07:30 PM   #5
CheshireCat

Thanks, but that looks like what I already have. My TV is in a different room from the monitor, I already have it working with multiple screens, but what I need is multiple X displays. I have a remote to control MythTV on the TV in the bedroom, and a keyboard and mouse for the den.

Right now, I can log in via KDM in the den, and start MythTV on screen 0. There are a number of problems with this, especially the fact that my cursor can disappear off the edge of my screen when I'm using the computer. I'll probably go back to my other setup, where I left MythTV running on a different virtual terminal, and I switch vt's to use it.

The ideal situation that I'm looking for would allow the two displays to be operated independently of each other. I don't think there's really any way to do this now, so I've now emailed nvidia with a feature request for it, but I figured I would check here first and see if anybody had a better work-around for this situation.