Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-03, 05:44 AM   #1
Prommy
King of the hill

Send a message via ICQ to Prommy
Default Autoloading of nvidia kernel module stopped working!

Hi.
I upgraded to kernel 2.6.0-test10 yesterday (from using test9). Rebuilt the nvidia stuff (using patch from minion.de). Rebooted the computer. Everything worked like a charm. However...

...when I started the computer today the X server refused to start, complaining about /dev/nvidiactl not existing. However after loading the nvidia kernel module manually (using modprobe) the X server started up just fine again. Tried some more times and it simply seems like X is unable to load the module itself, but doing it manually works.

Anyone see any what I could have done wrong? I don't think (not 100% sure though) I've changed anything in the .config between the kernels. The only thing I can see that should be relevant is KMOD which is (of course) enabled in both kernels.

/Daniel
Prommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 06:56 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The kernel now requests char-major-<major>-<minor> instead of just char-major-<major> as it used to. The NVIDIA alias in /etc/modprobe.conf needs to be updated accordingly, e.g. to alias char-major-195* nvidia. The patch(es) from http://www.minion.de/nvidia.html were updated to reflect this change (i.e. the makedevices.sh script now creates a different alias on Linux 2.6).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 07:21 AM   #3
Prommy
King of the hill

Yep. That was it. Thanks a lot!

I have another related (not Nvidia related though) problem, maybe you know what to do about that too? Another thing that stopped working when upgrading the kernel was my digital camera.

The camera needs three modules to be loaded, scsi_mod, sd_mod and usb_storage. Since upgrading to test10, I get the following:

[/etc#] lsmod
Module Size Used by
nvidia 1700620 16
[/etc#] mount /mnt/fujifilm/
mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device
[/etc#] lsmod
Module Size Used by
sd_mod 11488 0
scsi_mod 59368 1 sd_mod
nvidia 1700620 16

You see? The sd_mod and scsi_mod modules are autoloaded but not usb_storage. After modprobing usb_storage mounting works. What do I have to look for in modprobe.conf to fix this?
Old 11-25-03, 07:47 AM   #4
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA

Not modprobe.conf -- /etc/hotplug. The hotplug subsystem fell over. I'm running 2.6.0-test10 and the usb_storage module loads perfectly fine for me. I have hotplug-2003_08_05-1; try upgrading to that.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 08:02 AM   #5
Prommy
King of the hill

Yes, that seems to fix it. Thanks a lot!

The strange thing though was that I had no hotplug at all installed on my system. It worked without it on test9...

/Daniel
Old 11-25-03, 08:18 AM   #6
geowiz

Default Module loading in test10

Zander - this is somewhat off topic but .....
If the nvidia alias in modprobe.conf needs the wildcard to get autoloading, is that also true for other char-major aliases too? e.g. snd (my alsa sound didn't load with test10 either).
Thanks
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 08:35 AM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The change affects all character devices.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 08:42 AM   #8
geowiz

Default major-minor

much thanks
geowiz is offline   Reply With Quote