Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-03, 09:39 PM   #13
Malfunction

If you don't have Windows Media 9 Encoder, you might need it as I did. You'll need Windows Media Player 9 though.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.aspx

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 10:20 PM   #14
kraigc
kagogi jum ju ship shiyo!

Yah, I thought as much. Im downloading it now.
2G Corsair XMS PC6400
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 512 (g92)
Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Seagate Barracuda
80GB Maxtor
Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
Plextor 716A DVD-/+RW
kraigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-03, 11:58 PM   #15
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

I'm scoring 5200 with my setup to.

Tho I did have pcmark crash 2 times trying to run it.

What's up with that? I run every test I can throw at it on being stable
and it is stable.
I guess it does not like overclocks very well.

EDIT: WHat I cannot figure out is why I'm not crashing running the test.
But when I try and use the online compare it locks me up.
Any idea's?
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium

Last edited by bkswaney; 11-26-03 at 12:35 AM.
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 07:21 AM   #16
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Malfunction
Since I am never playing more than one game at one time, let alone benching anything while I am gaming...
This is my whole point - This isn't a gaming benchmark.

I know a few people who have had perfectly stable overclocked systems for months on end, then one day they'll do something different with their machine and bang! Blue screen heaven. Down clock a bit, and everything is fine again.

This is exactly what you're seeing, this benchmark obviously just pushes your machine just that little bit too far. That doesn't make PCMark some terrible, evil benchmark.
Old 11-26-03, 08:05 AM   #17
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
This is my whole point - This isn't a gaming benchmark.

I know a few people who have had perfectly stable overclocked systems for months on end, then one day they'll do something different with their machine and bang! Blue screen heaven. Down clock a bit, and everything is fine again.

This is exactly what you're seeing, this benchmark obviously just pushes your machine just that little bit too far. That doesn't make PCMark some terrible, evil benchmark.
Quote:
Originally posted by bkswaney
I'm scoring 5200 with my setup to.

Tho I did have pcmark crash 2 times trying to run it.

What's up with that? I run every test I can throw at it on being stable
and it is stable.
I guess it does not like overclocks very well.

EDIT: WHat I cannot figure out is why I'm not crashing running the test.
But when I try and use the online compare it locks me up.
Any idea's?
I'm not the only one with an Intel setup that is having their system overclocked, yet we can both run other stability programs like (Sandra, SysMark or Prime95) without problems at our normal o/c speeds.

You can't say. "Flawed"? How do you know it is so perfect? How do you know it isn't plagued with bugs?

In your own words:

Quote:
"nVidia takes the crown by a massive margin here, and gives some rather interesting results. As expected, the extra bandwidth and fillrate of the 5900 over the 9800 Pro gives it the edge in most tests (although ATi's card performs better in the transparant window test). However, the score in two of the tests relating to graphics memory show an absolutely immense difference in favour of nVidia, to the tune of around 3,000 FPS!! I'm unsure of whether these scores are accurate and reflective of the hardware or down to a driver issue on ATi's part, but nevertheless those results give a huge boost in the AMD systems favour, and as one of these tests is also present in the main PCMark test to calculate an overall score, it explains the large advantage the AMD rig shows in the final scoring."
You are straight out contradicting yourself.

Peace,

Old 11-26-03, 10:37 AM   #18
rellingsen

It seems to be a much better benchmark then PCMark02. I scored a 5233 on my first run with my rig. I'd post a link but I can't get into ORB to copy and paste it right now, it just keeps timing out.
SB Audigy 2-Klipsch Pro-Medias 4.1
22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
2-ATA 100 7200 rpm WD Drives
rellingsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 11:09 AM   #19
digitalwanderer

Malfunction? What point are you trying to make?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 11:36 AM   #20
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

He's trying to say that the program may be "flawed" or "buggy" because it is not stable at his max overclock like all his other software. I myself can't see blaming a program for crashes if your overclocked and when you bring it down a bit, it no longer crashes. I see it simply as the program pushing some component in your rig to hard and it just can't take it. It may be the CPU, RAM, NB, or more than likely the voltage regulators.

My current P4 system runs 99.99% stable at 266 FSB. Never, ever a crash in any games or gaming benchmarks. I'm talking about running prime for 24 hours straight and looping both 3d Marks for hours at a time. But in about one month's time it has reset itself twice while doing pretty intense work in Photoshop. Setting the FSB to 260 solved the Photoshop problem. I believe the problem to be either the memory or a lack of cooling for the back of my voltage regulators. My temps reach as high as 88C under full load on the backside of the VRs. I'm going to slap on a heatsink there and a nice 120mm blowhole on the backside of my case to keep those temps down so that won't hold me back when I get my new memory in about a week.......PC4400.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-03, 11:58 AM   #21
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Malfunction? What point are you trying to make?
That FutureMark are evil I think - Some people can't differentiate between 3DMark and PCMark.

Quote:
You can't say. "Flawed"? How do you know it is so perfect? How do you know it isn't plagued with bugs?
Personally, I didn't experience any crashes, so I can say that in my experience it isn't flawed. Of course, you can almost guarantee that it isn't perfect or 100% bug free, but then again what software is? Because a piece of software has problems with massively overclocked systems, that doesn't make it unreliable.

Quote:
You are straight out contradicting yourself.
Not really - The score was consistent across benchmark runs, so it was safe to assume that the problem was something else on my system, which is what I was trying to point out in what you quoted. Other peoples scores in the test I mentioned have born this out to be true as they are much, much higher than what I managed.
Old 11-26-03, 01:44 PM   #22
Malfunction

I will say this much about it then. Hopefully they put more of an effort into this than they did with 3DMark. I'm just curious how soon a patch will come out.

Peace,

Old 11-26-03, 04:13 PM   #23
The Baron

god, stop with your constant "3DMark is complete crap" already. if you ask nicely, I'll be more than happy to explain to you why your views on the subject are so incorrect.
Old 11-26-03, 04:38 PM   #24
ChrisRay

Yup Baron, It has no place in this thread.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote