Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-03, 11:26 AM   #25
The Baron

Quote:
I'm thinking it's you guys with the crappy Klipsh or Logitech MMC setups that are thinking the sound is so good in COD.
Be careful. They might get offended. After all, how could a $2500 speaker system sound better than a $300 set of Klipsch computer speakers? I mean, that's just absurd.
Old 11-29-03, 11:27 AM   #26
Rogozhin

I have a Frequency Response of 18hz-24000khz with a THD of .04 and total dynamic power rating of 2100watts with this system-I KNOW what games have great sound and COD isn't one of them.

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 11:44 AM   #27
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

I don't need, or require, fancy speakers to tell me that COD's sound is fantastic.
I have a rather modest set of Cambridge SoundWorks Dolby Digital 5.1 Desktop Theater speakers. Plus an old, but still working well, SBlive Platinum, using a hacked set of the new EAX4 drivers.

My ears, and even my sanity, are perfectly fine.
I don't know one single person who dislikes this game.
Perhaps it's just you

I'm not having a go, or anything.
I just think you are wrong, on this.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 11:48 AM   #28
The Baron

I'm sure he's right. It's hard to tell if a CD is crappily recorded until you hear it on an excellent sound system, and once you do that, it's plain as day.
Old 11-29-03, 11:56 AM   #29
digitalwanderer

Well, regardless I liked CoD and I think y'all spend WAY too much on your speakers.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 11:56 AM   #30
Rogozhin

I'm giving you my opinion just like you are giving yours and I believe my own ears and a "REAL" audiophile grade system with good sound card using OPtical outs gives me the right to say that MOHAA has better sound (in most aspects) than COD. Why don't music studios use crappy KOSS headphones and RCA monitors? Because they want to HEAR what the recordings sound like without any coloring from the gear-they shoot for clarity.

The ambience in MOHAA is better (depth of sound and spatial imaging on the soundstage) (more "meat" substance to gunfire) explosions actually USE my 12" shiva, the "brass" tings when it hits the rock and each shell falls at a different (inches apart from each other) point.

The only part that COD does better is the MG42.

rogo
Old 11-29-03, 08:19 PM   #31
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I think y'all spend WAY too much on your speakers.
Agreed $300 is for a CHEAP set of speakers? I thought a cheap set cost $12

And if a $1500 setup made a crappily recorded CD sound crappily recorded, but a $300 setup made it sound fine, I think that would be a $1200 saving I'd be proud of . IMO more expensive speakers should make things sound better, not worse
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 09:05 PM   #32
The Baron

well PJ, it's not so much that it sounds worse, it sounds the same. but something that is recorded well, i.e., well mixed, not overly processed, and may come on a better format than CD (SACD or DVD-Audio), sounds about 50x better.

Old 11-29-03, 09:12 PM   #33
Rytr
SuperMod

Well, I have a set of OLD Klipsch 4.1's with Fortisimmo III card in one system and Logitech 640's with Santa Cruz in another. Yes, MOHAA has great sound throughout and CoD plays great throughout.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 10:46 PM   #34
Rogozhin

My $2500 system is considered low-end.

You can spend $1200 on a pair of .5meter interconnects and $1500 on just a phono stage.

I shoot for "bang for the buck" but my "bang" might be another man's "explosion".

rogo
Old 11-30-03, 08:51 AM   #35
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
My $2500 system is considered low-end.
Heh, it's a slippery slope, ain't it?
Old 11-30-03, 09:52 AM   #36
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
Not a problem with ears or my sound system.

I run a true hi-fi 6.1 system out of my fotissimo3 and I run EAX no problem.

I'm thinking it's you guys with the crappy Klipsh or Logitech MMC setups that are thinking the sound is so good in COD.

Rogo

And the fact that the sound is all coming from a Fotiissimo3, I bet you think thats the best gaming sound card out too

Before judging the sound in games, get a real gaming sound card
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote