Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-03, 08:19 PM   #1
sbp

Talking Haitian-Americans protest Vice City

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/gr...s_6084645.html

Caribbean immigrants accuse Rockstar game of racism at a New York protest.

Already blamed for inspiring a killing spree and corrupting millions of youths, Grand Theft Auto Vice City is now being accused of racism. Today, over a year after Rockstar released the game, two Haitian-American community groups--the Haitian Centers Council and Haitian Americans for Human Rights--staged a protest at New York's City Hall, and urged supporters to picket the publisher's Manhattan offices.

"Grand Theft Auto [Vice City] is a cultural attack on the millions of Haitians living in the United States," said Henry Frank, executive director of the Haitian Centers Council. Frank's organization further blasted the game in a Monday press release, saying "players are instructed to kill all Haitians, who, in the video game, are stereotyped as thugs, thieves and drug dealers."

Why the Haitian-American group waited months to protest the game is unclear. For its part, Rockstar refuted the charge. "We empathize with the concerns of the Haitian community and we are giving serious consideration to them ... There was no intention to offend any ethnic group and we take these claims very seriously," said communications director James Ankner in a statement. He continued, "Some statements made by fictional characters in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City have been taken out of context," most likely referring to the murderous exhortations of the Cuban gang, the Haitian's arch-rivals in the game.

-------------
BMC! (bitch, moan, and complain)
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 08:36 PM   #2
sbp

Talking some award winning quotes

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedi...,3421813.story
Quote:
State Assemb. Nick Perry (D-Brooklyn), whose district includes East Flatbush and Canarsie, with large concentrations of Haitian immigrants, expressed concern that "some people who play the game might internalize it too much and try to take it into reality."

"Many of our youngsters can pull a trigger to kill a classmate or a peer without a second thought," he said.

But wait the fun doesn't stop there...they also want it banned.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...,2151300.story
Quote:
State Sen. Carl Andrews (D-Brooklyn) said he will introduce legislation to ban the video game and examine it for any violation of state law.
Quote:
Councilman Miguel Martinez said the Dominican community was in solidarity with the Haitians.

Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide is holding talks with American authorities about "this new affront to the Haitian people," according to Harry Fouche, the Haitian Consul General in New York.
Don't even get me started on that nut Aristide.
Quote:
Attorney Sanford Rubenstein, head of a legal team representing the Haitian-American community, said he will call on federal, state and city prosecutors to "determine if this racist video game violates existing civil rights statutes and if so, take appropriate legal action immediately" against the two companies.
Old 11-26-03, 08:50 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Might I suggest the Haitian American groups put some of their apparently vast resources into improving life in their homeland instead of complaining about a video game?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 09:25 PM   #4
digitalwanderer

Question Question

So...does this mean I shouldn't be letting my six year old play it?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 09:53 PM   #5
NickSpolec

Well, you aren't "instructed to kill are Haitians". The fact is, you are encouraged to kill, well, everyone. Heh, heh. There's no racisim in that.

But, I do admit, I love to aim for the Haitians. Just like I do the hookers and the pimps and the fat people.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 09:56 PM   #6
sbp

Default Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
You shouldn't play it either. You might get bad thoughts about Haitians and other groups in the game.
Old 11-26-03, 10:21 PM   #7
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Wow, if this game is racist towards Haitians, it must also be racist towards, Cubans, Italians, Indians (from India) (there are some Indian pedestrians), Americans, Blacks, Asians, Europeans, and everyone else in this god forsaken world.

They're all represented in the game and they can all be killed. Image that.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-03, 10:27 PM   #8
NickSpolec

Quote:
Indians (from India) (there are some Indian pedestrians),
You mean, the cab drivers

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-03, 12:26 AM   #9
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec
You mean, the cab drivers
Them too...

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-03, 12:55 PM   #10
thenerdguy

I just went and shot a Haitian because I read that.
Old 11-27-03, 01:12 PM   #11
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Do video games have age certifications in USA?

GTA3 in the UK is a 15 certificate. Shops aren't allowed to sell it to anyone under 15.

I'm not sure what the law is regarding a parent allowing a minor to play games above their age, or films even.

But, anyway, if you were in UK, then no you shouldn't be letting your 6 year old play it.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-03, 01:19 PM   #12
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I hardly see the games damaginga childs mind. Even kids know the difference between a game and reality, if not get off your fat ass and do some parenting