Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-30-03, 09:11 PM   #37
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
Then the must be common right? So, the majority of people think you're wrong right? So everyone else doesn't know what they are talking about but YOU and your buddy with a HS education and an agenda with lots of ill-gotten money to back it does?
Possibly he expected this response because this is quite a hot topic where there is very little middle ground? I can cite many sources to back up my claims (as you probably could with yours), but we're not going to convince you, and you're not going to convince us. I'm pretty sure I look as dumb to you as you do to me: this is one of those topics where we should agree to disagree, or test each other's stamina with endless debate.

Nutty is absolutely right, in my opinion. I agree with all his points 100% (although he's phrased them better than I would have done, and hasn't even had to resort to sarcasm!).

I'm trying to imagine a world which is crime-free because the majority of people carry a gun around with them. It's difficult, though, because I don't do drugs.

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Actually gun crime has risen, there is a huge ammount of weapons in this country and only criminals have access to them.
Well, this is my fourth attempt at writing a response to this quote, but I simply can't think of anything to say. Aha! There's a 'rolleyes' smiley!

That's it! I'm not going to be drawn into this thread again!
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 10:51 PM   #38
NickSpolec

Guns are not the problem. The problem is much bigger then the right to bare arms.

My dad was a police officer. He had guns in the house since I was born. Did I ever touch them? No. Did I ever get the idea to grab one, and shoot someone? No. The guns were not locked in cases, I knew where they were, but I was taught not to touch them.

Now my dad has died, and I own the guns. Do I ever handle them? No. Do I ever take them out, and flaunt them around? No. Do I carry them every where I go? No. Do I threaten people with them? No.

Those kids in Columbine were f*cked up in the head. They were little wannabe nazi's. They didn't need guns to kill all those kids. They just as well could have done it with bombs. Sure, without the guns, they probably wouldn't have been able to kill as many kids. But where there is a will (in this case, a will to kill other classmates), there is a way. They would have done something with or without the guns.

Blame needs to be put on their school and their parents. Both should have been able to recognize their behavior before the attack.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 03:54 AM   #39
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Nick, I wish everyone was as thoughtful as you, but sadly that isn't so.

This is definitly my last post on this, so I want to make 2 points.

1) Its difficult for Brits to understand the whole gun thing, as you're brought up with guns and we aren't. The availability of weapons and ammo in your country comes as quite a shock to most britons who most have probably never held a real gun in their life. That is why we're most likely never agree, the beliefs and understandings taught into us are completely different.

2) If you let everyone have a gun, then you're also letting all the undiagnosed mental patients get one too. And all the underground fanatical nazi's, and all the ppl who are just messed up in the head. Accept that, or just dont let anyone have them. I'd prerfer to go with the latter option.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 08:48 AM   #40
NickSpolec

Quote:
2) If you let everyone have a gun, then you're also letting all the undiagnosed mental patients get one too. And all the underground fanatical nazi's, and all the ppl who are just messed up in the head. Accept that, or just dont let anyone have them. I'd prerfer to go with the latter option.
But, through legal means, not everyone can have guns. People are rejected for both gun licenses and gun sales. Through, I think the process of obtaining a gun license should be more thorough, as well as the process of documenting guns that are sold.

The problem is, not everyone gets guns through legal means. And you *can't* control that. No matter how many gun control laws are passed, people who want guns will get them, weather by theft, blackmarket, or oversea buying.

I'm sure many guns make there way into England, even if it is illegal to own them.

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]

Last edited by NickSpolec; 12-01-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 08:52 AM   #41
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec
Guns are not the problem. The problem is much bigger then the right to bare arms.

My dad was a police officer. He had guns in the house since I was born. Did I ever touch them? No. Did I ever get the idea to grab one, and shoot someone? No. The guns were not locked in cases, I knew where they were, but I was taught not to touch them.

Now my dad has died, and I own the guns. Do I ever handle them? No. Do I ever take them out, and flaunt them around? No. Do I carry them every where I go? No. Do I threaten people with them? No.

Those kids in Columbine were f*cked up in the head. They were little wannabe nazi's. They didn't need guns to kill all those kids. They just as well could have done it with bombs. Sure, without the guns, they probably wouldn't have been able to kill as many kids. But where there is a will (in this case, a will to kill other classmates), there is a way. They would have done something with or without the guns.

Blame needs to be put on their school and their parents. Both should have been able to recognize their behavior before the attack.
Word!

I was raised in a house with a lot of guns in it and taught to use them at a young age, but before I was taught to use them I was taught to respect them for the dangerous responsibility that came along with 'em.

I don't have any guns in my house currently since I have small children and sort of fear bad things, but I do plan to teach my kids how to use guns when they're a tad older and teach 'em the same respect I was taught for them.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 08:54 AM   #42
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec

I'm sure many guns make there way into England, even if it is illegal to own them.
Gun related crime is nothing in England compared to the USA. Being shot just isn't very likely, being stabbed or bottled is quite possible though

Aren't you statistically more likely to get shot if you keep a gun in your house compared to when you don't?

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 01:46 PM   #43
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
I think you're being a bit over-dramatic, and secondly I dont want young ppl like you walking the streets with firearms.
This young person has a lot of experience with weapons, I know how to handle them and how not to use them. I doubt many "old folks" can say the same

Quote:
Cool, something we finally agree on vamp.
I likes my weapons
Old 12-01-03, 01:49 PM   #44
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Official figures state, well I will put it my terms. There are a crapload of them, be it real weapons of modified airguns and blank shooters.

Hell if I ever move to America one of the first things I'll be doing is getting a Springfield XD .40

Old 12-02-03, 11:37 AM   #45
NickSpolec

Quote:
Gun related crime is nothing in England compared to the USA. Being shot just isn't very likely, being stabbed or bottled is quite possible though
Well, what's the population difference?

Quote:
Aren't you statistically more likely to get shot if you keep a gun in your house compared to when you don't?
Depends on the home the gun is kept in. If it's a crack house where some tweaker bought some gun from the local scum bag, then yeah, I'm pretty sure you are.

I'm also pretty sure the statistics are high in gang-banger homes where kids get shot.

But that's just it. You can have a home full of guns and never have a problem. Or you can have one gun and have a severe problem. It depends strictly on the home enviorment.

The fact is, criminals, gang-bangers, drug dealers, junkies, ect... they are the at the root of gun problems. Not everyday citizens who are using their right to bare arms. Those groups usually obtain their guns by theft and illegal means. And you can't blame that on gun control!

[/size][/list]
Old 12-02-03, 01:36 PM   #46
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Well, this is my fourth attempt at writing a response to this quote, but I simply can't think of anything to say. Aha! There's a 'rolleyes' smiley!
Thankyou for that well thought out and researched response, preferably the next time you want to take part go the whole hog and sit on your thumb

Do some research into gun crime in this country, I know it takes several more clicks than clocking Mr. Rolleyes but it will make you feel so more enlightened than before.

Quote:
The availability of weapons and ammo in your country comes as quite a shock to most britons who most have probably never held a real gun in their life
I'm not shocked, I managed to fight back the heart attack when I thought about it

Quote:
You can have the damn things shipped over in the mail
Old 12-10-03, 03:20 AM   #47
sbp

Whiners get their apology as Take-Two caves

Quote:
Pressure from Haitian-American groups and New York City's mayor causes Rockstar Games' parent to edit its controversial bestseller.
Quote:
The publisher also apologized for the "hurt and anger" the statement had caused Haitian-Americans, and hoped the move would "mend" relations between the two groups. It blamed a recent media frenzy for creating the controversy, noting the game was released in October 2002.
That was after Mayor Bloomberg threatened Rockstar and Take Two for human-rights violation. *snort*

Lawmaker wants to stop sales of video game
Quote:
On Monday, U.S. Rep. Peter Deutsch, D-Pembroke Pines, called the game "dehumanizing" on the House floor. Deutsch, who is running for U.S. Senate, urged his colleagues to ask retailers to remove Vice City from their shelves.
spec-tac-u-lar
Quote:
Jean-Robert Lafortune, president of Miami's Haitian-American Grassroots Coalition, rejected the olive branch and said Haitian leaders are going ahead with a Dec. 15 protest.

"It's not enough," Lafortune said. "The fact that the game is still out there. It's still a danger for the Haitian community. We are just sitting ducks for anyone who plays that game and wants to act out their fantasy."
Some peeps are never happy.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 04:12 AM   #48
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Thankyou for that well thought out and researched response, preferably the next time you want to take part go the whole hog and sit on your thumb

Do some research into gun crime in this country, I know it takes several more clicks than clocking Mr. Rolleyes but it will make you feel so more enlightened than before.
Nooooo!!! I keep getting sucked back in

Seeing as you made it a special request, I clicked seven or eight times to prove that criminals aren't the "only people" in the UK to have guns.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_578052.html?menu=

http://www.webreslist.com/opf/stories/4004.shtml

In my 60-second voyage of discovery (and before you flame me about THAT, it wasn't the first time I have researched the subject ), I also found this piece... gosh, it's a coincidence, because I was 13 the last time I wanted to own a gun. Of course, I was very experienced and knew how to handle them, thanks to my NES and DuckHunt .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2378719.stm

Anyways, I'm SOOOO not going to get pulled back in, even if I get tempted to roll my eyes at something which is either flagrantly wrong, or (as I expect happened in this case) typed/expressed badly. So there
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote