Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you think gaming consoles will take over PC gaming in the future?
Yes 16 27.12%
No 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-03, 09:23 PM   #37
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12

2)CaptNKILL, you have a very valid point here but then again, you don't You would have been 100% right if i (and i think you could broaden that to almost everyone) had setup that system in order to play games only and nothing else. That would be a waste of money. However, we all can do lots of other things with a PC apart from playing a game or watching a film. When i built it, i was thinking that it should definately be capable of playing the latest games amongst others, so it had to be a pretty good one. Of course then, i totally ****ed up and ended up with a top system
Well yeah, but the thread is about "Do you think gaming consoles will take over PC gaming in the future?". Theres no way a console can replace a computer entirely.... its impossible unless a console has a flexible operating system, installable software (non game related), keyboard, mouse and a zillion other things....

What people are concerned about is that because more people play GAMES on consoles, developers will eventually move ALL of their games to consoles. Doesnt really have anything to do with the other functions of a computer.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 09:50 PM   #38
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
we all can do lots of other things with a PC apart from playing a game or watching a film. When i built it, i was thinking that it should definately be capable of playing the latest games amongst others, so it had to be a pretty good one.
The problem with that is that besides games a low end PC will function just as well as a high-end PC. I mean, what else would you use a $500 video card for besides playing games? The only non-game applications that would require lots of memory and a fast processor would be things like video editing or software development, almost everything else runs just as good on a $400 E-machine as it does on a $2000 Alienware. So I think the price difference issue is more limited to the cost between a PC which will do almost everything except playing games, and one that is designed for games.

Oh, and actually if you mod your Xbox, you can do a lot more with it. The other day I was playing on a PC CS server that was being hosted by an Xbox running Linux
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 06:07 AM   #39
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
How has anything changed? You seem to imply that console games have gotten worse from the originality standpoint. I can only speak from experience.
But back then, you were limited with what you could do with the hardware. Today, you aren't quite soo limited, if that makes sense.
Also, back then, if someone released R-type, then someone would release Gradius 1,2,3, then Darius, then clones of them all. But more importantly, all superb, even though they were all horizontal shooters. The same can be said for vertical shooters like 194x.
There was a lot of rubbish, but games then were fun to play.

Quote:
NES: Count how many side scrolling shooters there were. Count how many vertical scrolling plane games there were. Look at some of the larger franchises where every game is essentially the same. Mega Man, for example.

SNES: More side scrollers. Fighting games like Street Fighter. Beat em up games like Final Fight.
Like I said above, even though there were many of said games, they were damn good games that were playable.

Quote:
N64: all 3rd person 3d games or 1st person shooters practically.
I can't actually remember many 1st person shooters on the N64, but what springs to mind is the superb Goldeneye.

Quote:
Maybe you are just maturing and noticing that many games are the same
ol, same ol. Back with the NES I could play the same game over and over without getting tired of it. Now it takes something more interesting to keep me playing. Sometimes I have a hard time forcing myself to play through something(Zelda64 which I never finished. Conversely, I played through the SNES Zelda game over 10 times. Unreal which I eventually did finish)
Now that I can agree with. And that could be part of my point. Many games today, especially on console, don't have the attention span of those classics. Many are easy to finish, often in a matter of hours. Not much entertainment for your 40, when you could hire a couple of dvd's, for a lot less, and get just as much enjoyment, if not more.
Take True Crime, completed in just 6 hours. And I'm hearing the same from a lot of people. Perhaps all the sub missions could keep you going for a few more hours, but where's the replay value ?

I personally believe that there will always be both console AND PC. I can't see why they just can't sit side by side. The console offering quick fixes, and many arcade style games. While the PC offers more mature games, that offer a lot more depth. Games that require a lot more thought than usual, and keep you coming back for more.
I don't believe developers will move to console only. Heck, it would put Nvidia and ATI out of business, or least in a more difficult situation, and that ain't going to happen.
And the PC doesn't come under any console exclusive, so it gets the GTA games, the Final Fantasy games, Halo, maybe Halo2, there's talk of Fable.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 10:15 AM   #40
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
But back then, you were limited with what you could do with the hardware. Today, you aren't quite soo limited, if that makes sense.
Also, back then, if someone released R-type, then someone would release Gradius 1,2,3, then Darius, then clones of them all. But more importantly, all superb, even though they were all horizontal shooters. The same can be said for vertical shooters like 194x.
There was a lot of rubbish, but games then were fun to play.

Like I said above, even though there were many of said games, they were damn good games that were playable.

I can't actually remember many 1st person shooters on the N64, but what springs to mind is the superb Goldeneye.

Now that I can agree with. And that could be part of my point. Many games today, especially on console, don't have the attention span of those classics. Many are easy to finish, often in a matter of hours. Not much entertainment for your 40, when you could hire a couple of dvd's, for a lot less, and get just as much enjoyment, if not more.
Take True Crime, completed in just 6 hours. And I'm hearing the same from a lot of people. Perhaps all the sub missions could keep you going for a few more hours, but where's the replay value ?

I personally believe that there will always be both console AND PC. I can't see why they just can't sit side by side. The console offering quick fixes, and many arcade style games. While the PC offers more mature games, that offer a lot more depth. Games that require a lot more thought than usual, and keep you coming back for more.
I don't believe developers will move to console only. Heck, it would put Nvidia and ATI out of business, or least in a more difficult situation, and that ain't going to happen.
And the PC doesn't come under any console exclusive, so it gets the GTA games, the Final Fantasy games, Halo, maybe Halo2, there's talk of Fable.

Agreed. PCs aren't going away as game platforms, and consoles aren't going to slink into the dark, either. There's been a rhythm to PC/console game development - when the console is booming, they get the top of the line cool stuff. But then the PC comes back and does something cool. What I'm looking forward to/hoping for is cross-platform compatability. I'd love to see the console/PC world come to some sort of truce - perhaps adding a new layer of hardware to a PC that would allow it to play console games with fewer steps required in the port. Or maybe just setting down standards for ports that a game must meet before it's considered streetworthy.

Requiring a new board would soothe MS's exclusivity b.s., at the very least, though I can see a lot of people up in arms about having to purchase another piece of hardware in order to play games. It probably won't happen, though - MS would rather die than give the PC community a crack at a piece of hardware that emulates an X-box and it's super-secret engineering. Especially the Linux community.

*sigh* I just want to be able to put the days of sucktacular console ports behind us.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Last edited by Vash; 12-03-03 at 11:48 AM.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 10:31 AM   #41
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I just wish PCGaming was like it used to be. Doesn't M.S. realize they are hurting their Windows sales with XBox?? Most people buy a new computer when they want to upgrade. Nowadays theres absolutely no reason to get a top of the line machine except for gaming... less and less people are compelled to spend the cash, since an XBox gets the better games, and costs alot less also.

And as for ATI or Nvidia, you dont think they can move to consoles too??

This year was very bad for PCGaming, the worst PCGaming year I can ever remember. Only 2 really memorable enjoyable games for me. That sucks.

So many dissapointments, so many console ports. Just an overall bad year. Thankfully 2004 looks much better with Doom3, Half-Life2, Stalker, FarCry and ThiefIII (please dont **** this one up Warren) These games should spur more hardware sales, in turn bring down prices, in turn more upgraded computers, in turn more games

I work in computer sales, and 9 out of 10 people buy the cheap stuff. (Duron 1.3, onboard video) but I also see alot of people buying upgrades because of Halo, even though that game ran slow on even my setup..hehe
Old 12-03-03, 11:15 AM   #42
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
This year was very bad for PCGaming, the worst PCGaming year I can ever remember. Only 2 really memorable enjoyable games for me. That sucks.
Bit different for me

Homeworld 2
Halo
F1 Challenge 99-02
Spy Hunter
Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness
Star Wars Jedi Academy
Colin McRae 3
Vietcong
TRON 2.0
Splinter Cell
Freedom Fighters
Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough
Max Payne 2
Call of Duty
Star Trek: Elite Force 2
Moto GP 2
GTA Vice City
NFS Underground
IL-2: Forgotten Battles
Worms 3D
Chrome
Savage
Rainbow 6 - Raven Shield

Not all are brilliant, but there's plenty of quality in there.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 12-03-03, 11:36 AM   #43
Riptide

I agree DK, there has been some quality this year. I like many of your choices.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 12:20 PM   #44
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Here is my opinion on some of the games, I know everyones opintion is different, but most of these games although almost good, are untested, and shipped early. to me they "could" have been good. I will just comment on the games i have played.

I agree with you that most of them have quality, but I am still remembering the days when there were 5-6 game of the year contenders.

Homeworld 2 -> ill give you this one, good game, although im not big on strategy
Halo -> a complete joke, horrible console port, piss poor performance, and even looks like ass
Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness ->again piss poor performance, and bad reviews
Colin McRae 3 ->another bad console port
TRON 2.0 -> havent played, but i wasnt a fan of the demo
Splinter Cell ->this one was a console port, but it was done well, it was a good game
Max Payne 2 ->my game of the year
Call of Duty ->another good game
Moto GP 2 ->this one was decent from the demo
GTA Vice City ->yes this game was pretty good
NFS Underground ->although fun game, it is a console port, buggy on ati cards with aa and af
Chrome ->meh, average for me
Rainbow 6 Raven Shield -> good game although the developers gave up support on it, buggy

Old 12-03-03, 12:25 PM   #45
junkheap

Quote:
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
Bit different for me

Homeworld 2
Halo
F1 Challenge 99-02
Spy Hunter
Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness
Star Wars Jedi Academy
Colin McRae 3
Vietcong
TRON 2.0
Splinter Cell
Freedom Fighters
Medal of Honor Allied Assault Breakthrough
Max Payne 2
Call of Duty
Star Trek: Elite Force 2
Moto GP 2
GTA Vice City
NFS Underground
IL-2: Forgotten Battles
Worms 3D
Chrome
Savage
Rainbow 6 - Raven Shield

Not all are brilliant, but there's plenty of quality in there.
but compare this to a console list and it looks miniscule. Eventually all i ask for is consoles and pc to coexist. It would be great to just buy an online game for whatever console or pc and play with a person with a pc and stuff. I was never into graphics as much as gameplay, but graphics are getting better for everything, only thing is that it takes a whole lot more to suprise me than when i had my nes. Everything was new and fresh. Now its mostly rehases. Hell i have never played vice city until i got it for xbox ,and it is blowing my mind. I can't beleive that i hadn't decided to try it at all for this long. The xbox is the best version compared to every other consoel/pc (as per gamespot) and i am glad i waited.

You gotta remember game companies make thier games to make money, and consoles is where it's at. Pc's do get upgraded graphics but is it really worth the wait? Like i said, i see convergence in the future, where a console is pretty much able to everything but word processing, and minor office duties, and hell it almost already does.
junkheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 12:26 PM   #46
Riptide

Jakup, Halo must've had something people liked since it stayed on the best seller list for a while I believe (if it isn't still there). I agree that the performance is pathetic though. I don't know if I'd say it looks like azz though.

I wish they'd hurry up with the damn patch already.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 12:32 PM   #47
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Merely getting titles to the PC won't completely help. The PC needs good, exclusive titles or games that come out for it first then the consoles (much) later.

The majority of games on D.K.'s list are games that either 1) came out for the PC at the same time as the consoles or 2) were released on the PC later, almost as an after thought if you will.

Far and away my game of the year on that list is Max Payne 2. I think 2004 will bring about a renaissance of sorts for PC gaming with D3, HL2, Far Cry and others. To be completely honest, 2003 was a pretty lousy year for gaming all-around. I saw no games that made me want to run out and buy a PS2 and most of the games I bought for my Xbox I traded back in when I beat them - the only exceptions being DOAX and Burnout 2.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 01:07 PM   #48
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
The xbox is the best version compared to every other consoel/pc (as per gamespot) and i am glad i waited.
In what way ?
I don't see any difference to the ps2 version, apart from slightly crisper graphics, and your own radio support. The PC had all of that anyway, as well as the ability to have a higher resolution, moddable cars, buildings, cities. I don't see that on the Xbox version.

And as for Halo, well it looks far better than the Xbox version, with both my old Ti4600, and my 9700 Pro, especially on the 9700. The control system is totally superior in every way. The online play is another welcome addition, plus LAN support, and the most important of all, MOD support. Something the Xbox will NEVER get.
I'm also not limited to 30 fps, and god awful loading times.
The first release was a bit dodgy to say the least, but the latest patch is superb, and runs soo smooth at 1280x960 with all the eye candy on.

Quote:
but compare this to a console list and it looks miniscule.
But take out all the tripe out of that console list, and I'll bet you you are left with a lot less than you think. There really weren't that many good console releases this year. Certainly not enough to make you buy that particular console. Although, like I said, Project Gotham 2, is pretty good.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2