Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-03, 02:39 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Thumbs up XIII-Sometimes different is GOOD!

I just got XIII and I LIKE it! The cell-shading works for me, as does the storyline...it's really grabbing me.

Anyone else tried it?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 03:01 PM   #2
PenguinJim

Cel-shading

I liked the demo, might not wait until the UK release before getting it. David Duchovny is in it, as is Adam West did you notice?

AI seemed a little inconsistent, but not enough to spoil the game. In fact, I'm rather looking forward to it
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 03:09 PM   #3
digitalwanderer

Yeah, I heard that and it was the deciding argument for me to get it. I liked the demo too, but felt the cel-shading was a bit weird, but it really works well with the storyline and the way they tell it. It's a very uniquely styled game and it's kind of refreshing.

BTW-David Duchovny is the voice for XIII, who is who you play. There's also a few other well known voices in the game, but I haven't looked up exactly who yet as I have more fun guessing/don't wanna spoil the surprise. GREAT voice acting, even though that should probably go without saying.

Oh, and it's easy on the system and smooth too. I'm running 1024x768 4xAA 8xAF on the 9600 Pro and am averaging mid-60s with the lowest dips to the mid-30s...and it's even smooth at the low dips.

Good game, solid.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-28-03, 03:12 PM   #4
PenguinJim

The opening of the demo screamed 'Baywatch' at me... for about 20 seconds. Did anyone else feel that?
Old 11-28-03, 03:16 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

Only for a second, after the lady gets drilled by the machine gun fire it ended that phase-o-interpretation for me.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-28-03, 03:17 PM   #6
PenguinJim

Yup! I completely didn't expect that, was one of many pleasant surprises in the demo.

Hmmm... got nothing to do right now. Think I'll go get the full game
Old 11-28-03, 03:23 PM   #7
digitalwanderer

I don't think you'll regret it.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-28-03, 03:26 PM   #8
PenguinJim

Oh.... apparently it's out in the UK already. Must have sneaked onto the shelves today. I'll wait until tomorrow and buy a copy, then. Glad they've released it here in the UK already

And I know this has very little to do with anything, but I just remembered she existed. I HATE TEA LEONI.

Old 11-28-03, 03:46 PM   #9
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinJim
And I know this has very little to do with anything, but I just remembered she existed. I HATE TEA LEONI.
Well, being as she's Duchovny's wife I can almost see the connection. I like her and loved her short-lived series.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 11-28-03, 03:53 PM   #10
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

The complete use of cel shading is a novel idea, but the demo didn't do a whole lot for me. And the multiplayer sucks.

But hey, long as you're happy that's all that matters.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 10:37 PM   #11
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I like her and loved her short-lived series.
That one where she was a papparazi? That's where my hatred began. Please forgive any typos because I am ridiculously drunk and mildly impressed I made it home at all. I resisted 2 cute guys and 1 cute girl. Yay me although to be fair i already knew one of the guys
Old 11-28-03, 11:06 PM   #12
PenguinJim

Sorry about that. Went mildly off-topic. There was some Paparrazi series 'starring' Tea Leoni that aired here in the UK in around 1997/1998 at around 11/12pm (back then, that was a Bad Time Slot). I watched it, of course (what else was there to do? I hadn't started drinking at that time) and hated hated hated Tea Leoni. I didn't even learn her name, just hated hated hated her. Then she was in Deep Impact (which I only 'hated' at first, after watching it 3/4 times I only 'mildly hated' it) which made me want to stamp on her neck all the more. Then she married my David. To be fair, he wasn't ever going to have any career ever again after the X-Files (which I loved loved loved for 4 series, occasionally watched for 2 more series, then would have ignored for the final 3 series were it not for the company I kept ) but still. I hate Tea Leoni for her stupid face, her lame voice, her pathetic personality, her nenenenenenene. Grrrrrrrr. She's lame.

I hate that short ginger one in ER too. And I love DigitalWanderer