Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-03, 08:21 PM   #1
Scrag

Default GeForce FX 5700 Ultra problems...

I upgraded to a 5700 ultra, and when I load linux, the display comes up, but its very wavy/wobbly, cant read anything. I dont know how to discribe it, but i imagine it looks like it would if u put a very big magnet next to your screen. Anyway, i downloaded the newest drivers and installed them. I formatted and reinstalled Linux also, same problem. Card is good, works great in windows. Here's some more info:

P4 1.6 Intel chip set
Mandrake linux 9.1
GeForce FX5700 Ultra P/N 128A8N336A

I tried my original XF86Config-4 file. Right now im using the XF86Config.sample file that comes with the driver.

PS: The driver install looked good, no errors.

PLEASE HELP

THX!!

Last edited by Scrag; 11-28-03 at 08:27 PM.
Scrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 11:53 PM   #2
dpw2atox

there is currently no nvidia driver support for the 5700. till nvidia releases a new driver you need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file and use the nv driver.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 09:57 AM   #3
subart

have the same problem with my fx5700, use "nv" it's better.

and don't forget to write Nvidia a eMail about your Problem!
Fedora Core #1 Yarrow
subart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-03, 12:56 PM   #4
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Has anyone tried building the tarball?
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 08:23 AM   #5
raiford

I had this very same problem this weekend. It turns out that I was getting the crap horizontal sync using the nv driver. Once I installed the nVidia driver AND changed the "nv" to "nvidia" in the XF86Config file, it worked great. The only problem I'm having now is that any games that use 3D crash after a few seconds. Looks like I'll have to turn off hw acceleration. SuSE 9, fwiw.

Jon
raiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 10:28 AM   #6
machuidel

raiford:

Do you have any idea why the 3D applications crash?

Here's my thread about the same problem with the Geforce 2700fx ultra:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=21647

-----

Using the "nvidia" driver with 3D turned off, works best for me. I cannot get the "nv" driver to work with my monitor.

I bought this card mainly for 3D development and it isn't even working . It's a real pitty.
machuidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 12:59 PM   #7
raiford

Quote:
Originally posted by machuidel
Do you have any idea why the 3D applications crash?

Here's my thread about the same problem with the Geforce 2700fx ultra:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=21647
You mentioned something in your thread that I thought was interesting. You mentioned that your power supply is pretty weak. That is one thing in my system that I never did upgrade. The guy gave me a hard time that I needed a beefier PS with my Athlon XP, but I figured I would upgrade only if I needed to (its worked just fine up until now). Since the video card actually needs its own feed from the power supply, maybe that could be part of the problem?

Does anyone know what happens with these nVidia cards if the power supply is too weak? Could it lock up the machine during 3d stuff even when the 2d is working fine?

Jon
raiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 03:36 PM   #8
machuidel

raiford, thank you for reading my thread. guess what !!!

I just tested the geforce (doing all testing combinations again listed in my thread) with a 400 Watt power supply (QTec, dual fan) and again with a 450 Watt power supply (AOpen), but it still hangs after a few seconds on 3D (hang = very long delays). 2D works fine like before.

Conclusion with 400W and 450W PSU:
Still the same results as before with the 230W PSU.

The only possible things I can think of is that:
- The geforce 5700 fx ultra is unsupported under Linux (by the recent drivers). People from XFX and NVidia told me their cards are very well supported under Linux and even gave me a story about how good they are in it (I bought the geforce 5700 fx ultra from them).
- My geforce 5700 fx ultra is defective. Cannot see why. 2D is working and 3D works just for a few seconds and should be able to work longer if I could fix it.
- because my AGP is not 2.0 it doesn't work. I'm not sure if this could be the problem. My AGP has a max of 2x and the XServer detects it properly.

My last attempt will be to Install windows on the same machine to make sure it is not a hardware failure. This will be troublesome because I have no copy of windows and no extra HD. I might test the card on another machine with Windows installed.

Last edited by machuidel; 12-01-03 at 03:43 PM.

Old 12-01-03, 04:09 PM   #9
raiford

I'm confused. In your other thread, you mentioned that you have a 2700 Ultra that is having a problem, but now you are saying 5700. Have you tried both cards, both having the same problem? For what its worth, the card I bought is the PNY Vertgo GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, AGP 8X, 128MB DDR2 and I'm using an Athlon XP 2600+ motherboard with SuSE 9.0. I sent an email into Linux-bugs@nvidia.com and am still waiting for an official reply.
Old 12-01-03, 04:49 PM   #10
machuidel

Stupid me. Thank you for pointing that out. I was already wondering why people were not responding on my thread :P.

I was talking about the "XFX GeForce FX 5700 Ultra, AGP 8X, 128MB DDR2" all the time. The same as yours, only a different add-in card manafacture.

I will send an email to the Linux support address as well.

Last edited by machuidel; 12-01-03 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-01-03, 08:10 PM   #11
tbeckman

Default 5700 3D not yet supported

The released Linux drivers do not yet support the 5700 ultra 3D functionality yet. New drivers are supposed to be released "soon" (still waiting after having the card for over a month....)
tbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 08:50 AM   #12
raiford

For what its worth, the driver does seem to know something about the board. When I run SaX2 to choose the driver I want to use, under nVidia it lists a bunch of boards and a handful of numbers. For the 5700U, it wants to use 0x341 (or something similar - I'm not at the machine at the moment). The fact that number is in the list suggests that there is some kind of support for the chipset, even if it hasn't been officially released.

Anyway, I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but nVidia says that 95% of the code is the same across operating systems. That must mean they could give us a beta copy to play with very quickly if they wanted to. I think we should continue to let them know that we are looking for this support. If we go quiet, they will not feel pressure to release anything. Just look how many windows betas they have floating around.