Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-03, 10:12 PM   #1
PenguinJim

Default Is Final Fantasy XI any good? (The MMORPG)

Has anyone here played FFXI yet? I don't want to import a copy to the UK without some here telling me it's worth it. Even Hellbinder's mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad not quite RL-related opinion would be worth something to me (No offence meant to anyone not taking their medication).

Oh, tried Eve. Fun for a week or two, entertaining for a week or two more. And I couldn't be more sick of Galaxies (played it tons, though that's not my review, I just don't think I could ever play it again and have fun).
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 10:25 PM   #2
The Baron

Well... a few friends of mine tried it, gave up, and came back to SWG. So I dunno.
Old 11-28-03, 10:27 PM   #3
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
I dunno.
That does actually help my decision much more so than most forum posts than end in "I dunno" .
Old 11-29-03, 02:49 PM   #4
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

I've been playing FF11 for some time now, and have been enjoying it. I like the story and stuff behind it so far, and the class system is neat. It's more expensive than any others out there right now with the 12.95 USD plus 1 for each additional character plus 1 for the Tetra Master card game, but I still think it's worth it. That's my two pennies.
Old 11-29-03, 10:05 PM   #5
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally posted by St Lobus
I've been playing FF11 for some time now, and have been enjoying it. I like the story and stuff behind it so far, and the class system is neat. It's more expensive than any others out there right now with the 12.95 USD plus 1 for each additional character plus 1 for the Tetra Master card game, but I still think it's worth it. That's my two pennies.
You don't have to buy an extra character or Tetra Master. SWG is $14.95 and I haven't needed a second character yet so its not more expensive at all. Short answer Jim: It's good. You'll either love or hate the interface.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 01:15 AM   #6
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

That's very true about the characters, I've had just the one and that's been more than fine. Same thing with Tetra Master, if I want to play it I'll just load FF9. Good points.

About the interface, if you decide you're gonna play FF11 at all, make sure you have a decent gamepad to go with it. Definitely a lot more enjoyable with one, but can still be played with keyboard and mouse.
Old 11-30-03, 04:03 AM   #7
monkeydust

I was in beta and thought that it had the worst interface out of any MMORPG that I have played.
eVGA 8800 GTS 620/1000
2 x 300gb Maxtor Maxline III SATA2 HD
Creative X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Lian-Li v1200 w/OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU
Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD
3DMark06 - 8553
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 08:20 AM   #8
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeydust
I was in beta and thought that it had the worst interface out of any MMORPG that I have played.
I disagree. I think the interface is great, easy to use, and practical. It may take you a little bit to get used to it, but once you do it's very nice.

Also in the way of quests, they are easy and worth while. At level 10 I was fully equiped with nice gear and close to 7000gil in change. This all from low level quests that took about 15-30 minutes each solo (give or take).

The graphics, while grainy at times, are well drawn and very pleasing to the eye. I've encountered no bugs or graphical glitches of any kind so far.

If you know someone who has this game, please check it out first as it's not for everyone. Be prepared to start over a few times as taking up a new job will start you over at level 1. It's like standing at the top of a hill with lots of mudslides. All in all it's fun.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x

Old 12-01-03, 02:20 AM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by St Lobus
About the interface, if you decide you're gonna play FF11 at all, make sure you have a decent gamepad to go with it. Definitely a lot more enjoyable with one, but can still be played with keyboard and mouse.
A Playstation2 controller would work exceptionally well then I imagine
Old 12-01-03, 06:47 AM   #10
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
A Playstation2 controller would work exceptionally well then I imagine

Get this adapter to use PS2 controllers on your pc. Link I own one and it works great. Buy it at Radio Shack. $10.

| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
Old 12-01-03, 08:22 AM   #11
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Oh, and if you have an Xbox, you can make your own Xbox controller adaptor for the PC. All you need is an Xbox controller extension cable and a USB cable and you just splice the wires togeather. The drivers for it are suprisingly good (especially considering they're user-made!). Might be a bit cheaper to do that then it is to get a pre-built controller adaptor (since I got a Best Buy discount, it only cost me $5 total to make the cable). I've heard it works quite well for FFXI, since it's the same amount of buttons and a similar configuration to the PS2.

It is odd that they made the game so controller-oriented...I'm suprised you people aren't screaming "consolitis"
My friend says he previously could never have envisioned a PC game that's easier to play without the mouse, but somehow FFXI managed to do that. Ahh well, I might borrow it from him to try it out, it sounds like he's gotten bored with the game and he still has the rest of his month's subscription left. What server are most of you guys playing on?

Last edited by Edge; 12-01-03 at 08:29 AM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 08:38 AM   #12
PenguinJim

I used to play FFVII with the Numeric Keypad. After a few hours, I could play entirely one-handed, which allowed me to use my left hand for... actually, I don't think I ever found a use for it. Maybe I waved at people who came into my room