Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-03, 04:09 PM   #1
sphere

Default [nvaudio] System freezes after modprobe

I'm running Debian sid with a 2.4.22 kernel and the source package for the nvidia drivers. Network functions properly, but sound doesn't.

When I modprobe nvaudio, it loads but then the box comes to a full stop. I just have soundcore compiled in, and modules for nvaudio and ac97_codec. I don't know where this last module comes from, maybe it comes with the via82cxxx_audio module or the i810_audio module.

When I look around here and nforcershq, I see people using alsa and i810 mostly. Is there anyone that actually uses the nvaudio module?

Kernel config is available on request, I'm trying to keep this post tidy.
sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 04:27 PM   #2
LBJM

I didnt get the nvaudio to work they need to update the driver to work with the 2.6 series. however the quality of the sound for me under windows wasnt as good as my hercules xp theater. you could also try the oss i810 driver too.

as with the locking append acpi=off to you lilo config and rebot and try loading the module but make sure you are using apic in the kernel.

LBJM
LBJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 07:29 PM   #3
sphere

Quote:
Originally posted by LBJM
I didnt get the nvaudio to work they need to update the driver to work with the 2.6 series. however the quality of the sound for me under windows wasnt as good as my hercules xp theater. you could also try the oss i810 driver too.

as with the locking append acpi=off to you lilo config and rebot and try loading the module but make sure you are using apic in the kernel.

LBJM
Thanks for the pointer about acpi=off, I will try that when I can tomorrow. For the moment I have alsa up and running. Personally I think nVidia should make the solution for the chipset like they have for the gfx cards, that one works like a charm.

For the moment my main objective is trying to figure out if it is possible to wake this damn box up with WOL, after powerdown from linux. I guess I'll go bother the acpi people at sourceforge
Old 11-30-03, 08:19 PM   #4
LBJM

try doing a search on google.com or check out www.linuxdoc.org
Old 11-30-03, 08:43 PM   #5
sphere

Yeah uhm, thanks for the hint, but I've been to Google and haven't found anything that resembled my problem. I've mailed the acpi project devel list, maybe that will turn up something.

If and when it does, I will be sure to let you know what the outcome is.
Old 11-30-03, 09:17 PM   #6
LBJM

do they have a users list? try that. devel lists won't respond to users in most cases. also try www.nforcershq.com and search through the forums there if you havent already.