Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-15-02, 09:51 PM   #1
raggie007

Default HD recommendation needed

I'm thinking about getting another EIDE 40,60 or 80 GB hard drive. my #1 concern is reliability... and #2. being price.

i can't really find reviews of HD except performance... and as i read more and more forums and so, lotta ppl were having dead HD... so... what would be good HD to get, with lesser chance of dying than others?

(currently using compUSA brand(maxtor) 60GB harddrive. will probably change the drive into back up, i think... been using it for a year and still haven't died.. w00t?)

few HD in my mind is... maxtor 60GB, WD 80GB JB... thought about WD 60GB but saw wayyyyyy too many ppl with dead HD...
Old 09-15-02, 11:38 PM   #2
Essense

I'd stick to Maxtor, or Segate for best reliability. The others perform better though. This is a sensitive subject and you'll get many differnt opinions. They all fail though, some more then others.

Regards,
Mike
Old 09-16-02, 02:21 PM   #3
pelly

Over the last few years...I've tried Maxtor, WD, Seagate, and IBM......none have really blown me away.....

My next drive is going to be the 80GB WD Special Edition 8MB......I've only heard good things about these drives.....hopefully, it'll live up to the hype...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 03:21 PM   #4
sbp

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
Over the last few years...I've tried Maxtor, WD, Seagate, and IBM......none have really blown me away.....

My next drive is going to be the 80GB WD Special Edition 8MB......I've only heard good things about these drives.....hopefully, it'll live up to the hype...

Same here. Not to mention after October 1st this drive will still have a 3 year warranty.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 03:30 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sbp
Not to mention after October 1st this drive will still have a 3 year warranty.
Wrong. Click here for links to the press releases from Western Digithell. Both them and Seagate have joined the 1 year bandwagon.

I wonder if drives bought before Oct. 1 will still have 3 year warranties. Guess I'd better hand on to my receipt if I have a problem.

But for reliability, so far I can't recommend Seagate highly enough. I've put my 80 gig drive through hell and back since I bought it and it's still going strong.

I will never, ever put another WD hard drive in my computer again. Among my friends and I we've had at least 4 WD drive failures within a 6 month period (myself having 3 of them).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-02, 06:12 PM   #6
Essense

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

I will never, ever put another WD hard drive in my computer again. Among my friends and I we've had at least 4 WD drive failures within a 6 month period (myself having 3 of them).

AMEN!

Regards,
Mike
Old 09-16-02, 10:59 PM   #7
sbp

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
Wrong. Click here for links to the press releases from Western Digithell. Both them and Seagate have joined the 1 year bandwagon.
No sir, the WD Caviar Special Edition drives will still have a 3 year warranty.

http://westerndigital.com/company/re...p?release=1438
Concurrent with the expansion of its Special Edition product offerings, the Company has adopted a new warranty policy effective October 1, 2002. WD Caviar Special Edition hard drives are covered under warranty for a three-year period. Consistent with the current PC industry standard, all other Western Digital products will be covered under a standard warranty for a period of one year. Extended warranties will be available for an additional fee via the Company's Web site at http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp#extwarranty.

Quote:
I wonder if drives bought before Oct. 1 will still have 3 year warranties. Guess I'd better hand on to my receipt if I have a problem.
I would believe so.

Quote:
But for reliability, so far I can't recommend Seagate highly enough. I've put my 80 gig drive through hell and back since I bought it and it's still going strong.

Hey man as long as its not an IBM Deathstar.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-02, 12:30 PM   #8
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

get the WD Special Edition 80GB 7200 RPM with the 8MB cache ... it will have the 3 yr warranty on it ...

i personally have never had a problem with WD or their 60GB drives ...

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-02, 01:11 PM   #9
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

If someone is buying a WD hard drive, they had better exercise caveat empetor to make sure they're getting the drive with the 3 year warranty.

Quote:
Hey man as long as its not an IBM Deathstar.
LOL. Indeed. Makes me wonder what the status is of the lawsuit that was filed against IBM regarding those hard drives.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-02, 01:57 PM   #10
pelly

Between Dell and Newegg....anyone looking for a great price on those WD 8MB drives should have no problem....

If you needed an excuse to buy one now....the disappearing warranty situation should be more than enough of a reason...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 01:48 AM   #11
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Just bought a new WD 80 Gig 7200 RPM Caviar(eh) for $96 shipped. These are the greatest, and really cheap too!
Old 10-01-02, 04:22 PM   #12
Chiles4

The IBM 180GXPs should be hitting the street soon. They claim to have a 20% reduction in seek times. Can't wait to try one. IBMs HDDs are all I ever use.
Chiles4 is offline   Reply With Quote