Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-03, 11:24 AM   #1
poursoul
i eat people

Default Mech games.

MAN! I've been dying for some good mech action! Mech warrior 4 is sooo damn played out for me.

Anyone know of any other good mech games out there? I've even been whippin out the old genesis emulator to play mech assault

I would really love to see some great new animation.
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 11:34 AM   #2
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Did you play MW4:Mercs ?
did you try the Mech paks ?
do you have MW3 ? MW2 ? MW2:Mercs ?

if you dont have them & you like mech games as i do .. GET THEM!
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 11:51 AM   #3
poursoul
i eat people

Yes i've tried mercs (HATED it), and the black knight demo (can never find the full version.) What are the mech packs?

Graduated from 2 and 3 to 4, so no need to go back right now. Maybe when i'm feeling a little nestolgic.
Old 12-02-03, 11:56 AM   #4
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

The mech paks adds new 4 mech for IS & Clan each . along with some new weapons already in MW4:Mercs.

if you'r intersted on Mech games .. MW is the only good mech game you can find . i'm not sure if you can play the old MWs on XP though.
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 02:22 PM   #5
poursoul
i eat people

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

This is my point! I love mech games, why hasn't this genre come around! There are tons of mech fanatics out there.

I'm not only talking about straight up mech games either, why not (in say, Doom ]l[ ) have your character get in a small mech suit and kick some ass robo style (ala that aliens movie) That would be awsome.

I seriously hope there is a mech fad coming soon.
Old 12-02-03, 02:26 PM   #6
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

What is Steel Battalion like? Always been meaning to play that.
Old 12-02-03, 02:40 PM   #7
poursoul
i eat people

isn't that only for x-box though?

EDIT: yep it sure is, and even has a special controller.
Old 12-02-03, 02:46 PM   #8
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Steel Battalion is pretty amazing. It has it's flaws (standard "your mech is much more powerful then everyone elses" idea, flakky AI, etc.) but it's the most "realistic" mech sim you'll ever find (you know, if you can call something realistic when it's trying to emulate something that doesn't exist). The first time you flip all the toggle switches and watch the controller light up and mech come to life is pretty amazing. Unfortunatly it was single-player only, and while it does offer a decent amount of missions and higher difficulty levels (which actually change the game mechanics a bit to make it more challenging), it does end a bit too quick. The upcoming SB:Line of Contact game should extend the use of the controller considerably though, since it will have online multi-player.

If you're a mech sim, do yourself a favor and try to check it out at least once. It's not for everyone, but it definatly offers an experience few other mech games can offer. Though one thing just occured to me...since you can get an Xbox-to-USB controller adaptor...would it be possible for users to make the controller work on the PC? It would be really cool if they could figure out a way to do that, being able to use the SB controller for a game like Mechwarrior would be cool (even if the game wouldn't use half of the buttons on the controller).

BTW, did anyone else like MW3 much better then MW4? MW4 seemed less simulator-like and more arcade-like, and I didn't like the way the mechs moved so much faster like they were just really big humans or something.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-03, 03:28 PM   #9
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Ever since Mech 2 Mercs, the games have gone downhill. Mech 3 was still pretty cool but Mech 4 was just tacky.

poursoul, have you tried Heavy Gear or Heavy Gear 2? Basically mech clones but faster gameplay.

Shogo is also worth mentioning.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 05:18 PM   #10
poursoul
i eat people

no i haven't tried any of those THANX!

EDIT: CRAP!!! LINUX ONLY!
Old 12-02-03, 05:37 PM   #11
OWA

Wasn't there a competitor to the MW series made by Dynamix (Starsiege maybe or am I thinking about the Heavy Gear series someone mentioned already)? Basically, I thought the company making the MW game ended up losing the license or something and so the company left out started their own series to compete with MW but it didn't last long (maybe ended around the MW3 timeframe).

Although a little more arcade'ish, Slave Zero was fun and the sense of scale was great. I use to enjoy just stomping on the road causing a shockwave that would cause the cars to crash and people to start running for their lives. I'm pretty sure I had to use the compatability mode to get it work under XP though (it's an older game in case you haven't heard of it).

Quote:
BTW, did anyone else like MW3 much better
I liked MW3 the best although I still have fond memories of MW2 since it was one of the first g-accelerated games that I played and the difference was so dramatic.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 07:05 PM   #12
Shaitan

Default :0)

"I liked MW3 the best"

IMHO Mechwarrior 3 was the best Mech game as far as actually feeling like a pilot. It was way more immersive a piloting experience than any other mech game to date. Frankly, Mech 4 was way too quakey for me. Here is to hoping that if a Mechwarrior 5 ever arrives, that whoever does it, puts the SIM back into Mechwarrior.

The only thing SIM so far, has been the words on the box.
WD VelociRaptors X 2 in RAID 0
BFG 295 GTX Rev. B
Enermax Galaxy 850 psu
CoolIT Systems Freezone
Samsung 2233rz
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote