Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-03, 08:13 PM   #13
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

Yes, the MechWarrior games competition from Dynamix, and later Sierra was the MetalTech series (Earthsiege, Earthsiege 2, Starsiege, Cyberstorm 1 & 2 if 2 ever made it out can't remember). Anyway, the newest for the MetalTech series is going to be StarSiege 2845 (www.starsiege2845.com) which builds on after the defeat of Prometheus on Pluto. Starsiege: 2845 is actually going to be a total conversion mod for Tribes: Vengeance, but it will have full support from Sierra. So, all is good there.

As for good Steel Battalion. If you check the site, and anywhere else you will see that Steel Battalion was discontinued. The only palce you can find it now is on E-bay pretty much, and to play Steel Battalion: Line of Contact you will have to be an owner of the original game, as their will be no new controllers made for the upcoming release. Capcom only intends to produce enough units of the Line of Contact to match the number of original titles for the X-Box that were shipped. Which, indeed was not many. So, grab it while you can if you intend to play this game.

Finally, MechWarrior 4. Get the Mercs expansion, the mech packs, and get the Mek Tek Mek Pak from www.mektek.com and this will add some new flavor into your game playing. Other than those, I know of no other 'Mech simulation games (if you even count MechAssault for the X-Box). So, that's the round up right there.
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 08:16 PM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Ahh yeah, I remember the Starsiege/Earthsiege games. Didn't really play them much, though...in fact I can't even remember if I played them at all or if I just saw footage of them.

And I'm pretty sure that the company that was making the Mechwarrior games (edit-just checked the box of my MW2 Saturn game, was it Activision who made them?) lost the lisense from FASA around Mechwarrior 4, so after that a different company made the games (or it was made by FASA themselves). Then MS bought up FASA and are using some of thier lisences for games (Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior, etc.).

I never really got into the MW2/Heavy Gear type of games, to arcade-like for me. Slave Zero was ok for a generic action game, but a mech sim it most certainly was not. I really liked Mechwarrior 3 and Steel Battalion though, those are my kinda games. Actually I wish they were even MORE sim-like, at times it still seemed like you were more of a big human rather then a gigantic machine.

Also it sounds like Capcom may produce more controllers for the release of SB:LOC. So if you missed out on the first one, you *might* have a chance to pick it up again for a reasonable price. But check into Gamestop or EB every once in a while, I've actually seen it used a few times in the last couple months (and if you buy a $10 magazine subscription when you buy the game used, you save $18 on it. Not a bad deal, eh?). Oh, and yeah, Cyberstorm 2 did come out, I have a rip of it on my computer and I did see it in stores a long time ago. I always wanted to get it, but I was waiting for the price to drop to $5...I guess it never did because I still don't have the game. But the first one was pretty fun for a turn-based game (which I got in some bundle pack of Sierra games).

Last edited by Edge; 12-02-03 at 08:24 PM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 09:11 PM   #15
Matthius

Send a message via ICQ to Matthius Send a message via AIM to Matthius

sorry to say, but all of the mech warrior games were piss poor from my point of view. if you want a game full of action and so forth, whip out your ps2, grab armored core 2 and 3, as well as robotech: battlecry. those games will keep you occupied forever. best mech games i've ever played. oh and it helps if you used to watch robotech or the macross series when you were a kid, if if you still do.
Old 12-04-03, 01:12 PM   #16
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Quote:
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Ever since Mech 2 Mercs, the games have gone downhill. Mech 3 was still pretty cool but Mech 4 was just tacky.

poursoul, have you tried Heavy Gear or Heavy Gear 2? Basically mech clones but faster gameplay.

Shogo is also worth mentioning.
I'd skip Heavy Gear and go straight to Heavy Gear II. The first one was OK, but the second one just blew it out of the water. Never tried Shogo, might have to look into it...

Cheers,
JND

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote