Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-02, 05:00 PM   #1
gordon

Angry NVIDIA !!! Please take note.

OK. Deep breath.

I have had 3dfx cards since 3dfx cards first came out, and despite the odd wobble the drivers have always improved with each release and have had good functionality. This is the standard by which I judge drivers from other companies.

One of my PCs has a Ti4600. Nice card, no complaints there. Excellent drivers too, improve with every release (the 40.52s crash Medievel Total War and Shogun but I am sure that will be fixed in the next release).

My beef is the FUNCTIONALITY of the aforementioned said drivers. Nvidia is a big grown-up company now and it's time it trusted it's customers with a little functionality in the drivers.

Example: I want to turn vsync off in D3D. Can I? No. Not unless I use a third party utility or reg hack like in Coolbits. WHY NOT NVIDIA? Reward your customers with this small offering PLEASE.

Worse Example: My desktop brightness is fine, but D3D and OpenGl games are so dark I can hardly see what is happening on the screen. Solution? Turn up the brightness? No, if I do that the desktop is blindingly bright. I have to use a third party utility, powerstrip, to adjust the brightness in D3D and OpenGl otherwise the card is useless. 3DFX, God rest their souls, provided seperate brightness/gamma sliders for desktop, D3D and OpenGl in their driver utilities. Do Nvidia? No! Why not? Is it too much to ask?

Come on Nvidia, you can do this. Don't make us use third party utilities just to be able to use the card.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-02, 11:51 PM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw
Default Re: NVIDIA !!! Please take note.

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon
Example: I want to turn vsync off in D3D. Can I? No. Not unless I use a third party utility or reg hack like in Coolbits. WHY NOT NVIDIA? Reward your customers with this small offering PLEASE.
HUH

Quote:
Worse Example: My desktop brightness is fine, but D3D and OpenGl games are so dark I can hardly see what is happening on the screen. Solution? Turn up the brightness? No, if I do that the desktop is blindingly bright. I have to use a third party utility, powerstrip, to adjust the brightness in D3D and OpenGl otherwise the card is useless. 3DFX, God rest their souls, provided seperate brightness/gamma sliders for desktop, D3D and OpenGl in their driver utilities. Do Nvidia? No! Why not? Is it too much to ask?

Come on Nvidia, you can do this. Don't make us use third party utilities just to be able to use the card.
And as for this, I dunno...but I heard a lot of ppl have this issue a couple years ago...but it seemed to be fixed ages ago, you might want to check in-game gamma settings...and if you haven't reformatted before installing the GF card in, and you had another brand of card in the same puter, that messes up gamma settings too...
Old 09-24-02, 11:54 PM   #3
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

i can't seem to get the vsync to show with the new drivers, but yes it has been there for old drivers.

about the brightness and stuff...??? i never heard of such a thing.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-02, 02:50 AM   #4
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

S3 virge! jk.
Old 09-25-02, 04:40 AM   #5
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

I have the same problem.

Working on a pc all day, I have my desktop pretty dark, I have to bump the brightness and contrast everytime I play a game. This is on every card I've ever used.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 04:21 AM   #6
gordon

Angry

I have a Ti4600.

The in-game gamma and brightness settings are set to highest and it is still too dark when switching to OpenGl and D3D games.
The situation improved somewhat but nowhere near enough in a recent driver release - I don't know which ones.
If the brightness is turned up on the monitor then the desktop is blidingly bright when switching back.

A third party utility like powerstrip is essential just to be able to play games on the top of the line nvidia product. Shameful.

The piccie of the vsync option in D3D is nice - I have that too. But only after installing coolbits!

I was holding out for an NV30 to replace my 3 remaining Voodoo 5 cards, but I am getting so ticked off by this I am about ready to jump ship and try the new 9700.
Old 09-28-02, 04:35 AM   #7
EvilEngine

Why are you guys complaining about color and gamma for? The settings are in the drivers:
EvilEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-02, 04:37 AM   #8
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
i can't seem to get the vsync to show with the new drivers, but yes it has been there for old drivers.

about the brightness and stuff...??? i never heard of such a thing.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better.
Matrox
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-02, 09:07 AM   #9
gordon

Angry

"Why are you guys complaining about color and gamma for? The settings are in the drivers"

Wow Evilengine2, I have that colour control applet too !!!

But it sets global colour, not gamma/brightness seperately for D3D, OpenGl and desktop.

Thanks for trying to help, but please read and understand the thread. The users are complaining that one overall gamma setting is not good enough, settings for desktop are too dark for OpenGl and D3D. Increasing gamma for D3D and OpenGl results in a desktop that is too bright.

nvidia drivers are top notch, tell me one card that has better - thcdru2k

No-one is complaining about the drivers. They want extra functionality ie seperate gamma settings for OpenGl, D3D and desktop. 3DFX (God rest their souls) had seperate colour controls, so it can be done, if Nvidia can be bothered.
Old 10-06-02, 10:09 PM   #10
False Christian

Yes, I agree that 3dfx made the best drivers ever. I, too, think nVidia's got give a nice looking control panel like ATI's done with their Catalyst suite.
-1GB GEIL/Corsair PC3200 DDR (8-3-3-2.0)
-256MB Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE oc'ed to 552/1184
-SB Live! Audigy 2
-80 GB WD UATA100 (7200 rpms)
-40.9 GB Fujitsu UATA100 (5400 rpms)
-MSI 16x/48x DVD-ROM
-32x12x40 ASUS CDR/RW
-21" ViewSonic P810 (.25mm)
-Cable Internet (Rogers)
-Winblows XP PRO SP1
-3DMark2001SE (330): 22,850
-3DMark2003: 12,800
False Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 01:37 AM   #11
koneill

i have to wonder how sensitive my eyes are to brightness, because ever since i've been into hardware, and therefore graphics cards, i've heard people complain about games being "way too dark" with in-game gamma "all the way up."

somehow, i don't see it. i tweak the gamma for some games i play, but to say that they're still "way too dark" after ramping the in-game gamma "all the way up," well... that's a bit silly.

ramping up the gamma even 50% makes everything super bright and washed out looking with no contrast and pasty colors - kind of like what 3dfx's graphics looked like back in the Voodoo/2 days. =)

weird... maybe people need to buy better monitors.
koneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 11:17 AM   #12
Chalnoth

Yeah, I haven't had any in-game brightness problems for a couple of years...not since I was playing on a TNT 16MB and tried to load up GLQuake...
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote