Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-07-02, 12:14 PM   #13
gordon

Exclamation

Yeah, I haven't had any in-game brightness problems for a couple of years...not since I was playing on a TNT 16MB and tried to load up GLQuake...

I don't mean to sound disrespectful Chalnoth, I have great respect for you having read your many posts on this board, but others, including myself, are having brightness problems.

My Creative Ti4600 is running on an IIyama 19 incher, the flat screen jobby. If I run it on my IIyama 19 inch non-flat screen jobby it is still too dark in D3D and OpenGl while being just right on the desktop. Turning up the brightness in OpenGl and D3D doesn't wash out the colours, it just makes it viewable. There must be thousands of these monitors out there.

There IS a problem here, Nvidia could solve the problem by supplying seperate brightness sliders for OpenGl, D3D and desktop, the way 3DFX used to. As it is, Powerstrip corrects the problem perfectly but that is more money to fork out just to be able to use the Nvidia product.
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 07:42 PM   #14
Chalnoth

I'm just curious as to why...

As a side note, I fired up GLQuake again, and it was, again, far too dark.

All of my more modern games, and the demos I've tried, had essentially perfect brightness settings right out of the box, and if that wasn't enough, there's usually a brightness slider that works just fine.

Now, which games, specifically, are you having brightness problems with if default game settings are used (and you're using an adequate desktop brightness)? Do these games just have brightness sliders that don't go bright enough? Or do they have sliders that don't work or don't exist?

Oh, and by the way, there's a slightly less-than elegant way to solve any brightness problem on an nVidia graphics card, and that's to use the QuickTweak icon on the taskbar, save a couple of different color profiles, and switch between them before/after running a game.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 06:09 AM   #15
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Default No problems with gamma under Linux

One word: xgamma.

Maybe there's something similar for Win32 boxes.

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 12:13 PM   #16
gordon

Lightbulb

Thanks for the reply Chalnoth.

I have the in-game gamma maxxed in Unreal, Unreal Tournament, half-life, Quake3, Wolfenstein, MOHAA. Still too dark unless I:

a) increase the brightness overall via Nvidia control panel in which case everything else (ie everything 2D) is blindingly bright.
b) increase the brightness via the monitor controls in which case everything else (ie everything 2D) is blindingly bright.
c) use custom settings for each game via powerstrip.

Your quicktweak tip sounds cool. Thanks.

But why oh why oh why can't nvidia provide seperate brightness controls?
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 04:37 PM   #17
Chalnoth

That's rather different...on my system, with those same games, default color usually works just great, and I always choose a setting below max brightness.

Since we have essentially the same video card, it seems incredibly strange that just a monitor could cause such a huge difference.

Have you tried simply calibrating your monitor?

Here's a quick and rough way to calibrate your monitor:

1. Turn off desktop wallpaper, set desktop color to black.

2. Adjust brightness level until background black is just as black as the surrounding border (usually visible below the displayed screen)

3. Adjust constrast level so that the whites look reasonably white.

Gamma, for most video cards, should not be adjusted for desktop applications, for the simple reason that it will cause color banding. This shouldn't be an issue for video cards that support higher-precision color, such as the Parhelia and Radeon 9700.
Old 10-12-02, 11:17 PM   #18
Jedi Dwight

Once again: Microsoft requires that for a driver to be WHQL certified, VSync is on for Direct3D apps. Part of the deal is that they don't want someone to turn it off, and then complain that the tearing is bad, or they don't want an onlooker to see the tearing and say, 'gee, DirectX sucks'.

So nVIDIA is only option is to conceal the Vsync toggle setting in their drivers.

I only bother with coolbits if I want to play with overclocking or if I'm running a benchmark. Just save it in a drivers folder and don't sweat it.
Jedi Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-02, 05:28 PM   #19
walkndude

Am I mistaken that monitor profiles will also affect gamma/color levels. I have a feeling that is were the problem is for some of those having gamma issues.
Old 10-14-02, 09:22 PM   #20
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Some monitors are just to dark. The apparent luminance varies between resolutions and refresh rates. If you reduce your refresh rate (as usually happens when you load a game), the screen actually goes darker. My old "crappy" compaq monitor doesn't do this. But I have seen newer Viewsonics and others that do.

3dfx cards always a wacked out gamma curve. Everything was too bright and game developers compensated by making all the textures darker. Now we have NVIDIA cards with a proper gamma scale and so all those old games look too dark.

Ideally you shouldn't need to alter gamma in software (drivers). All you are doing is shifting the palette range up and truncating half the colors off the top e.g. - RGB(0,0,0) becomes RGB(64,64,64) and everything from RGB(191,191,191) and above becomes washed out pure white. If you have to resort to adjusting brightness in your drivers then your monitor needs replacing.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-02, 09:26 PM   #21
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveW
Some monitors are just to dark. The apparent luminance varies between resolutions and refresh rates. If you reduce your refresh rate (as usually happens when you load a game), the screen actually goes darker. My old "crappy" compaq monitor doesn't do this. But I have seen newer Viewsonics and others that do.
Hrm, I didn't realize that, and it could most definitely explain why the brightness in games on some peoples' computers is much darker than the desktop. So, perhaps a possible remedy would be to make certain that the in-game refresh rate is the same as the desktop refresh rate? The newer 40.72 drivers have a refresh rate overriding panel.