Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-03, 01:23 PM   #1
hrice

Default RH9.0 SMP w/ FX 5200 (4496) fails

Hi all,
I am trying to get the RH9 SMP kernel to work with the 4496 driver. X works fine if I just load the non-SMP kernel. With SMP though, it flashes a few times and then I get the "something is screwed up" screen. Any ideas? The box isn't true SMP, it is a P4 with hyperthreading, but RH9 picked SMP for the default kernel, so I'm guessing that it sees 2 cpus. I'll make sure when I get home. I also forgot to mail myself the errors in the XFree86.0.log file, so I get that tonight too. I was just hoping that it was obvious to someone smarter than me.
Thanks...
Heath
hrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-03, 09:47 AM   #2
tropique

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, after installing the FX5200 driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run), the X server cannot be started in SMP kernel mode , but everything works well in non SMP mode. I attached the XFree86.0.log file .

By the way, when booting on the RH9 CD (on a P4 2,6C HT + FX 5200), the installation process failled when trying to launch the graphical mode using the VESA generic driver. The screen goes black without any signal. I have to restart it and run the installation in text mode. With RH8 everything is OK.

If someone has some information ...

Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (16.5 KB, 147 views)
tropique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 07:56 AM   #3
slak

Default same problem

I'm running knoppix 3.3 and having this same problem. The driver works fine until I turn on SMP to enable Hyperthreading. I don't have the error log handy but it complained about unresolved symbols in driver dealing with smp code. I'll post the log once I get home this evening...

Any help is greatfully appreciated.
slak is offline   Reply With Quote