Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-03, 10:53 PM   #1
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Pro -vs- Home XP

Right now I have home and I have never seen pro to test it out. I am building a new PC and was wondering if I should purchase it when I already have home. So my question is to those that have or tired both....is it worth it...anything major going from home to pro? I game alot...any speed increases and such in this area?

Thanks,
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 11:48 PM   #2
Rytr
SuperMod

I use both and really have no preference. Those who like to tweak and have more control over their OS would naturally opt for the Pro.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 11:57 PM   #3
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Unless you need some serious IT level networking features or have dual processors, save the $100 bucks and go with Home.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-03, 12:37 AM   #4
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Thanks guys, saved myself the money.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 08:27 AM   #5
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

they are idental and their gaming performance is exactly the same, there are only 3 major differences:

Pro has Domain networking access, something no home network would ever use

Pro has remote access, pretty useless in a home environment, only good for Helpdesk remote troubleshooting in a corporate environment

Pro has supports multiprocessors, only useful if you actually have a dual CPU motherboard, which most home users donot.
Old 12-07-03, 09:26 AM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
Pro has supports multiprocessors, only useful if you actually have a dual CPU motherboard, which most home users donot.
What about P4 Hyperthreading? Or does that work on XP Home?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 11:09 AM   #7
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
What about P4 Hyperthreading? Or does that work on XP Home?
works on Home because it's a virtual processor
Old 12-19-03, 07:58 AM   #8
zack

I would go with Pro.. You can get the full version new in box for around $150 or less on ebay.. They both should perform about the same with games, but Home is pretty crippled as far as administrative features go.

XP Home reminds me too much of shareware with disabled features until you register and purchase the full version..
zack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-03, 01:43 PM   #9
nithdurr
Fondling ATI 9800 Pros

Send a message via AIM to nithdurr
Default ebay full windows xp install or..

Need clarification on the post above mine concerning the ebay $150 full windows xp home version install--where on ebay--is it the auction link or the links to the third party retailers? If its third party retailers/websites, I am hesiant regarding their services/reputations.

Wondering about whether to buy a full windows xp install or buy a cheaper oem of windows ME (etc) and then just buy the windowx xp upgrade. Which would be cheaper and if any of you have any suggestions about which direction to take, i would be very appreciative.

thank you!
Old 12-21-03, 01:49 PM   #10
Malfunction

I like the FTP/IIS feature in Pro which is only availible with Pro. Ofcourse you can get a third party FTP software and do the same on Home. Thing is, Pro has more features if that is your thing. If not, Home is the best solution for most non-tech types.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 02:58 PM   #11
Rytr
SuperMod

Its not going to make a difference in performance which one you pick unless you want the extra admin features of Pro which have been outlined by previous posts.

I personally don't like upgrading and would go with a OEM Full Version (either Home or Pro) purchase from newegg.com if you are unsure of purchasing on eBay.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-03, 03:01 PM   #12
zack

Default Re: ebay full windows xp install or..

Just do a search for windows xp professional.. I got mine for a little less than $150 about a year ago, in full retail packaging. Not OEM.. I just did a search and on the average it looks like its going for a little more than that.. Still a good deal though..

Quote:
Originally posted by nithdurr
Need clarification on the post above mine concerning the ebay $150 full windows xp home version install--where on ebay--is it the auction link or the links to the third party retailers? If its third party retailers/websites, I am hesiant regarding their services/reputations.

Wondering about whether to buy a full windows xp install or buy a cheaper oem of windows ME (etc) and then just buy the windowx xp upgrade. Which would be cheaper and if any of you have any suggestions about which direction to take, i would be very appreciative.

thank you!
zack is offline   Reply With Quote