Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-24-02, 02:18 AM   #1
silamael

Question Got driver running but Xfree shows only weird screens

Hello everybody!

I managed yesterday to install the nvidia driver version 31.23 under my brand new Debian 3.0 installation. I got also XFree running. And here begins the problem. The screen is totally weird. I have a streaks in the screen image and so i can't read almost nothing. Has anyone an idea what's wrong here or has anyone already solved this problem?
Thank's a lot for any hints!

Greetings,
Matthias
Old 09-24-02, 02:02 PM   #2
neneonline

Unhappy The same to me

The same happends to me.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 with an nVidia GeForce 4 440 Go and a 1600x1200 flat panel.

Everything seems to work. The kernel module loads with no problems... and the X server starts... but in the screen everithing is weird... I have tried everything. Installing older linux kernels (2.4.19 and 2.4.18). Using and not using frame buffer.

I have read the driver manual and used a lot of the driver parameters. Actually, the screen remains blank unless I explicitly say that I am using an LCD.

I am going crazy... what can I do?
Old 09-25-02, 01:43 AM   #3
silamael

Yesterday i solved the problem. Haven't changed anything of the configuration but the window manager. Now the screen looks like it should. Perhaps this standard window manager twm is per default somehow strange configured on Debian and so the screen looked weird.