Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-03, 11:59 PM   #25
Psychobudgie

Tried every AGP option. Machine is cooler than me.
To Clarify, this problem has only occured since moving to 9.2 and did not occur under 9.1 however 9.1 had issues with my KT400 motherboard which 9.2 does not. The random lockup sends x to 100% CPU.

Original Thread is

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&postid=242951

There are also many others. I am only one of many who have this problem. If I could find a solution I would be extremely pleased.
Psychobudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 02:16 AM   #26
Sir_Brizz

Send a message via ICQ to Sir_Brizz Send a message via AIM to Sir_Brizz Send a message via Yahoo to Sir_Brizz

haha SuSE 9.0 no ups worked perfectly! I love this version.
Visiontek GF4ti4600
SB Audigy 1 (w/ 1394)
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 09:24 AM   #27
Papol

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthaus
Funny, UT2003 is a no-go for me. Freezes every 10 seconds and stays there in increasingly long periods of time. After ten or so such freezings, it finally lock ups. RtCW exits with segfault, Quake III freezes (although not as bad). NWN seems to work well and so does classic Unreal Tournament.

And you know what, I have the same problems with the windows 5x.xx detonators. Could this be hardware related? But both in linux and windows, as soon as I reinstall 44.xx drivers my problems are solved.

A7N8X Deluxe 1.05
1GB 2700 DDR RAM
Pixelview GeForce 5900 (non-U) 256 MB RAM
kernel 2.4.23 with medley patch
RedHat 9
Two Seagate SATA drives
One Western Digital ATA 100

I think this is a combination problem of how ut2003, qIII access the tls/opengl** files. I came up with a workaround for fc1 which uses similar redhat'd versions of Xfree that include the Mesa libs. Those create a directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/tls", which is where ut2k3&q3 will first look for their opengl if it's there.

You can either get those two to work by getting rid of Mesa rpms from your sys, but an easier way that doesn't screw up every other game that does work with the usual /usr/lib/tls and /usr/X11R6 setups of RH, is just to write a little script called something like "pre-ut" and another to undo it called "post-ut". -- of course, there's a million ways to do the same thing if this is your problem, including automating the entire process so you never have to think about it, but since xfree 4.4 is about due, it probably pays to wait and see what that does with Mesa.
Code:
pre-ut:
#!/bin/bash
# run this before playing ut2003 or q3.
# run post-ut afterwards
mv /usr/X11R6/lib/tls /usr/X11R6/lib/tls.sav

post-ut:
#!/bin/bash
# run this after playing ut2003 or q3.
# run pre-ut before
mv /usr/X11R6/lib/tls.sav /usr/X11R6/lib/tls

and maybe one more to check your current status of tls:
#!/bin/bash
# if this lists files, you're back to 'normal' Mesa
# if it says no such directory, you're ready to play ut2003 or q3/
ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/tls
Oh yeah: Since this is a beta 4620 thread, I should mention that on fedora core 1, fully updated, with the kernel de jour (linux-2.6.0-test11-bk5), that the beta drivers work at least as well as the 4496's, if not better. There's no apparent problems, but there was an mm/mmap.c patch on test11-bk4 that caused many things not to work, including the new driver + minion patch combination which has been resolved in test11-bk5. (and onwards I hope )

Last edited by Papol; 12-07-03 at 09:32 AM.
Papol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 01:00 PM   #28
thegreypilgrim

Thumbs down hmmmm.........

well, these beta drivers aren't too bad, they do perform a bit better than the previous drivers, but, while the control panel is nice, it doesn't have configuration for twinview or tv out, so it is more or less still completely useless, and they still haven't fixed the console bug when you stop the xserver, still gives me that garbled display. Anyone else still getting the garbled console display when you hit <ctrl><alt><backspace>?
thegreypilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 01:11 PM   #29
Psychobudgie

The solution for the console corruption is in this thread. Well it certainly worked for me.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=19801

Oh on an aside.

28h 45m 25s since last hang.

Haven't touched Mozilla this session and I am currently running with the nvidia agp driver.
Old 12-07-03, 03:32 PM   #30
russofris

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychobudgie
The solution for the console corruption is in this thread. Well it certainly worked for me.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=19801
Judging by "thegreypilgrim's" post, it appears that he is actually using the TV-out on his chipset, so disabling it may not be a viable workaround. While the core functionality of the driver has been fairly stable since 4463, the control panel is the first evidence we have that nvidia is working on supporting features. It may be prudent to go back through the list of 4496 bugs and see what is not working, and what has been fixed.

Code:
Xinerama:	OpenGL accelration on the first screen only
Xinerama:	Blitting speed with 3 xinerama screens are slow
TVOut:		Lock exiting X with TV device attached
PowerPC:	Driver does not exist
FrameBuffer:	Console text garbled after CTRL+ALT+F1 from X
Xfree 2D Perf:	Gnome terminal performance much slower than 'NV' driver
Modline:	"Quivering" with Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087
GL_DYNAMIC_DRAW_ARB:	Performance with VBOs is about 1/5th the performance of simple vertex arrays with Quadro2 XGL
FX 5650Go:	Requires  Ver. 4363
FSAA:		Quadro2 'option stereo 3', only one image is drawn with FSAA enabled
TvOut:		No overscan on cards <= GF4MX440
TvOut:		Interlace mode (PAL) does not appear to work
OpenGL:		Texture corruption (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=16359)
OpenGL:		Context/window limit (only 32 glxgears can be started)
Pixel Clock:	Diamond V770 (TNT2) is recognized as 250Mhx (should be 300)
FX 5700:	Unsupported?
XVideo:		Screen turns blue after playing hi-res/hi-def content in HW Overlay.  Reboot required
FSAA:		Framerate inconsistent ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=19282 )
File perms:	/dev/nvidia perms revert to 600 when a user logs out
OpenGL:		affine dot product depth replace not working on FX series cards
OpenGL:		PBuffer performance issues ( http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=17828 )
Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 04:18 PM   #31
Psychobudgie

Well, it worked for me and quite a few others. The only prudent action I take is that that works.
Old 12-08-03, 03:32 AM   #32
Prommy
King of the hill

Send a message via ICQ to Prommy

Just to note: The drivers works for me (on a GForce2 and kernel 2.6) without any problems.

Can't see any difference whatsoever though, neither on my monitor nor on my tv. And the very nice looking new settings program doesn't do anything, does it?

Well, it's always nice with higher version numbers. Reason enough for upgrading, isn't it?

/Daniel
Prommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-03, 08:23 AM   #33
floam

Prommy: From what I've used of it, its functional. The anisotrophy and fsaa settings all work in games, and the color correction stuff also.
floam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 09:10 AM   #34
Prommy
King of the hill

Send a message via ICQ to Prommy

Quote:
Originally posted by floam
Prommy: From what I've used of it, its functional. The anisotrophy and fsaa settings all work in games, and the color correction stuff also.
Ok. I never tested, just speculated

/Daniel
Prommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 11:27 PM   #35
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Working satisfactorily on my ti4400 P4 i850e Dell Precision system. Fedora FC1 running 2.6.0-test9 kernel, framebuffer consoles and multiple X servers.
(using the www.minion.de patch and installer version)
Old 12-09-03, 03:24 PM   #36
mmaster

i'm trying to get the courage to use the beta drivers
can someone tell me how to start the control panel from CLI?
I use fluxbox, so no icons for me, if I install the drivers.

the control panel alone may make we wanna give the betas a whirl...
mmaster is offline   Reply With Quote