Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-03, 12:05 AM   #13
emailthatguy

just more proof that ion storm developers are all hype. I think its safe to say at this point, they got lucky on the first game.
No more ati | Athlon64 X2 6000+ Black | Asrock Mobo | 4GB RAM | 250 GB Maxtor Sata | Soundblaster X-fi XtremeGamer | EVGA 8800 GTS | HP w1907 Monitor | Logitech Z-680 Speakers | Audiovox PNP3 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner | Sidewinder Mouse| Vista Home Premium | Logitech G15 Keyboard
emailthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 12:23 AM   #14
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
I think its safe to say at this point, they got lucky on the first game.
I wouldn't say they were very lucky on Daikatana

And despite what anyone else thinks, I think DX:IW will be plenty fun. Yeah, they made a few mistakes with the shipped version (since they didn't get criticism of the demo until AFTER the game went gold), but the patches will fix the minor problems. Sure, universal ammo is kinda dumb, but it's not the first time it's been done, and other games have managed to be fun with it (Star Trek: Elite Force was fine with it, though they had 2 types of ammo instead of just one). And besides, how much of the first DX was even spent in combat? Half? Maybe less if you took a less violent approach? This isn't just a First Person SHOOTER you know. Hell, noone complained about the combat system in Theif, even though it was very limited. I just find it a little odd that everyone's major gripe with the game is the combat system when the game is about so much more then that...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 12:39 AM   #15
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by emailthatguy
just more proof that ion storm developers are all hype. I think its safe to say at this point, they got lucky on the first game.
If Warren Spector had been the driving force behind this game I would smack you for that comment, but since he really didn't do much on this sequel....it's true....sadly.

I will say, however, that the success of Deus Ex wasn't a fluke. Warren Spector knows how to make a damned good game. After all, he was behind System Shock and the Thief series, among others....

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-05-03 at 01:46 AM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 03:01 AM   #16
sbp

Default this game was so bad that...

So Deus Ex 2 was hidden behind the other games on the back of the shelve. Have to wonder what could be done with some of these worse games. Take for example that disc shaped pile of crap Tomb Ho: Angel of Buginess that came out earlier this year. It would be found outside in a sealed garbage receptacle nowhere near the other games to avoid contaminating them with its complete suckiness.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 07:56 AM   #17
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I still can't believe they didn't even make the simple .ini file changes before shipping the game...it's the exact same as the demo!

This is a truly sad bit-o-gaming history in the making.
The reason for this is pretty easy to understand when you know that the demo had been released AFTER the gold master sample went in mass production.

Although IW is a bad sequel to DE, it's nevertheless a fun game when considering it as a stand-alone game and not trying to draw parallels between this game and the first game.

Same thing for Unreal 2 (which the developper are now trying to revive with the help of the MP add-on); as a sequel itself it was pretty bad but the game was nevertheless fun if you just want to play through it quickly without thinking about it as a sequel to wonderful Unreal 1 experience.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 08:06 AM   #18
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
This year is to much disappointment ,
Half Life 2 getting delays rumors about haveing to pay to play multi witch sucks , bad steam.........,
Deus Ex 2 total crap....,
Doom III is still far away...,

Hopefully next year will be better
hey, and what about all the good games which came out this year?

Everyone is talking about how bad 2003 is as a gaming year and forgetting to mention games like Prince Of Persia, XIII, Call Of Duty, Max Payne 2, Worms 3D, Silent Hill 3, Broken Sword 3, Tron 2.0, FS 2004, GTA III Vice City, Vietcong, Splinter Cell and many others which I current can't remember.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 08:23 AM   #19
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally posted by RAY16
Bad move.
Bad move about what?
Old 12-05-03, 08:30 AM   #20
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Bad move about what?
I THINK he's talking about me and my wife not getting my son circumsized, but I have no clue why he is.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-03, 09:18 AM   #21
The Baron

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I THINK he's talking about me and my wife not getting my son circumsized, but I have no clue why he is.
Because he's afraid that your son will grow up and steal his woman, since your son will probably end up being all Super Sexy like you...

wait. scratch all of that. you're not Super Sexy, and your son will probably grow up to be a 3dfx fanboy.
Old 12-05-03, 09:22 AM   #22
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Old 12-05-03, 09:42 AM   #23
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
your son will probably grow up to be a 3dfx fanboy.
My son is actually the only nVidia user left in the house and he's very proud of his GF2 MX400 (240/420).
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 04:09 PM   #24
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hehe, I can just see a tear come to Digital Wanderer's eye everytime he sees his son play a game on an Nvidia card

Heh, j/k. Btw, nice hat
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote