Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-03, 04:24 PM   #25
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
Same thing for Unreal 2 (which the developper are now trying to revive with the help of the MP add-on); as a sequel itself it was pretty bad but the game was nevertheless fun if you just want to play through it quickly without thinking about it as a sequel to wonderful Unreal 1 experience.
tru dat! It was no were near the original but you also have to take into account who developed it
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 05:05 PM   #26
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Hehe, I can just see a tear come to Digital Wanderer's eye everytime he sees his son play a game on an Nvidia card
Nah, the card has got a lot of memories for me...it was me very first nVidia card. It's an Abit Siluro T400 (mx400 w/tv-out) that was also one of my first major mods and just by coincidence it has huge gold & bright blue heatsinks on the memory which just happens to be our town's high school football teams colors. (And the PCB is black, so it just looks sweet. )

He just killed Sonny in GTA VC the other day on his PC and I was actually prouder than hell. Not bad for a 6 year old.

Quote:
Btw, nice hat
Thanks, I stole it directly from the one on the nVnews logo...I was feeling all x-massy.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 05:48 PM   #27
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Exclamation

Quote:
hey, and what about all the good games which came out this year?

Everyone is talking about how bad 2003 is as a gaming year and forgetting to mention games like Prince Of Persia, XIII, Call Of Duty, Max Payne 2, Worms 3D, Silent Hill 3, Broken Sword 3, Tron 2.0, FS 2004, GTA III Vice City, Vietcong, Splinter Cell and many others which I current can't remember.
/Complaining MODE on

None of these games are major hit , hyped and hoped to be very awesome

Prince Of Persia - just came out , its ok arcade like game nothing more.
XIII - this one is nice , cell shaded game *kudos*
Call Of Duty - is ok to but doesn't use any awesome shader effects or anything revolutionary , decent game thats all.
Max Payne 2 - was excpected to be good sequel but its so short and there isn't much of replay value playd it few times and now its collecting dust .
Worms 3D -
Silent Hill 3 - resident evil clone , but its ok we all like scary games
-Broken Sword 3 - don't know this one....
Tron 2.0 - movie made to gameing market not bad no major bugs , decent start but nothing special realy.
-FS 2004 - don't play sports game so ccan't comment.
GTA III Vice City - well its GTA in 3D , but thats all sure is fun but nothing special to..
Vietcong - same as Call of Duty or so i think.
Splinter Cell - would be best of all of the above with nicer graphics and shadows but it was released when ? at end of 2003 now its almoust 2004 ,so its not a new release....

and we back to square one ,big expectations of revolutionary sequels with top of the line graphic engines and yet we have none, only big dissapointments so far .

Forgot to add Halo everyone hoped it to be so much better on PC then Xbox , and its only a mere port to begin with offcourse people who never playd Xbox version had fun even if its simple port , i had some fun to but , thats all........
Deus Ex 2 - Horrible Horribly bad , crappy game so angry i am , no localized damage can't kill with head shot , terrible AI , runs worse then Halo doesn't look any better either ,unifed ammo not realistic weapons ,flame thrower is a paint ball gun .
HalfLife 2 - delays delays more delays (witch is good if they gonna fix all the problems hopefully ).... annoying steam , and we have to pay to play multiplayer ???
Doom III - don't have bad things to say at the moment hopefully it will go retail without problems.

These were my thoughts if anyone have other impressions of games mentioned above , feel free to express your opinion

/Complaining MODE off
Old 12-05-03, 08:17 PM   #28
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
/Complaining MODE on

None of these games are major hit , hyped and hoped to be very awesome

Prince Of Persia - just came out , its ok arcade like game nothing more.
XIII - this one is nice , cell shaded game *kudos*
Call Of Duty - is ok to but doesn't use any awesome shader effects or anything revolutionary , decent game thats all.
Max Payne 2 - was excpected to be good sequel but its so short and there isn't much of replay value playd it few times and now its collecting dust .
Worms 3D -
Silent Hill 3 - resident evil clone , but its ok we all like scary games
Tron 2.0 - movie made to gameing market not bad no major bugs , decent start but nothing special realy.
-FS 2004 - don't play sports game so ccan't comment.
GTA III Vice City - well its GTA in 3D , but thats all sure is fun but nothing special to..
Vietcong - same as Call of Duty or so i think.
Splinter Cell - would be best of all of the above with nicer graphics and shadows but it was released when ? at end of 2003 now its almoust 2004 ,so its not a new release....
After reading your comment I unfortunately must say that you don't seem to be very well informed on any of those games.

I can garantee you that GTA III Vice City, Call Of Duty and FS2004 were sold more often that you can possibly imagine. These are definitely some of the major hits of 2003.

Prince Of Persia gets great reviews all over the place, it's a real fun game with a polished gameplay and wonderfull graphics.

Concerning Silent Hill 3, I give you the advice that you should never call SH3 a Resident Evil clone when standing face to face to a SH fan. You might receive a punch or two Seriously, comparing SH to RE is like comparing the Lord of the rings trilogy to the three year old Dungeons & Dragons movie. Don't make that mistake, the difference is night and day.

Max Payne 2 was indeed too short but that doesn't make it a worse game. Considering MP2's immersion and gaming experience alone, you certainly have one of the best game of 2003 in front of you and it also sells very well.

Last point is about calling FS2004 a sport game is... hm, are you really sure what game FS2004 really is? Just to point out as a history fact, the complete FS series have sold more than any other game to date... even considering that the FS series are not really games but rather professional simulations.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 08:24 PM   #29
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Quote:

Shame on you Seriously, you should give it a try although you will understand it more if you play 1 & 2 before touching it. I did the same thing with Max Payne 2 and it really made it a more complete experience remembering names and things from MP1. Now Deus Ex II is next to it collecting dust as well And both XIII and POP4 were very very good IMO. I almost completely agree with you on most things although i can't see 2004 being a better year either. Watch this:

Thief III (Warren, get your hands off that one please )
Doom 3
HL2
Splinter Cell 2
Sillent Hill 4
Sam and Max 2
GTA 5 (4 if you wish)

If you look at it, its the year of the sequels again. I mean the year of the hyped games. Personally, i had a better time this year playing Thief 1 & 2 FM's, NOLF FM's, and all those games that no one hyped them and reached the stores silently (Arx Fatalis, Nosferatu, The black mirror, In memoriam) than most of the hyped ones that promised a lot and failed. Can't see next year changing that much.

Quote:
Prince Of Persia gets great reviews all over the place, it's a real fun game with a polished gameplay and wonderfull graphics.
Objection That doens't mean its 100% awesome. I like POP4 but almost all Deus Ex 2 reviews are raving about a game that has problematic graphics and the last thing that the PC version has is a polished gameplay. Reviews can be as enthusiastic as they want.

Quote:
Max Payne 2 was indeed too short but that doesn't make it a worse game. Considering MP2's immersion and gaming experience alone, you certainly have one of the best game of 2003 in front of you and it also sells very well.
Ojection again I'm afraid it is (Jackup sit down ). Whether we like it or not, MP2 is one of the major titles with big sales and a small influence on the gaming industry's direction as well. The fact is that games like it (ie very short/shorter than the original) tend to show the rest the future lead: Doom 3 will be shorter than the previous, Thief III has so far at least 10 levels confirmed, less than the original and judging by IW small too (Warren: they are not smaller, they are just streamlined).

HL2 is said to last just as the original. If that proves true, i will appreciate enormously Valve. Until then, major sellers like MP2 are sweeter, smaller, with a few more replay options, in short, half the experience, yet it still wants 50 bucks, not half. Don't know about you, but i prefer a disgustingly long game that's worth its money than a small, pretty good game that took 2-3 years to complete, comes into a cheap box with the ****ing manual in a print-it-yourself-son .pdf file (i'm talking generally here not MP2) and offers you the chance (thank you very much) to replay 10 times the same stuff with tweaked difficulty. Max Payne 2 is one more example that shows the future games. If it has huge success now, it's not really a great thing. Flame me if you want for that, but i see it as a great game/negative contributor to gaming experience nonetheless
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP

Last edited by NAZCA M12; 12-05-03 at 08:58 PM.
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 04:04 AM   #30
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb

Yeah big sales doesn't make games great so i disagree to Morrow's opinion.

I agree to NAZCA M12 , todays and tomorrows games are way to short , or lack other stuff like bug free or decent graphics ,story ect ect

Makes you miss old days when devs concentrated on story and lots of hours of play not advertisement bussines hype alot make sales and forget
Old 12-06-03, 06:43 AM   #31
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12

Thief III (Warren, get your hands off that one please )
You must not have liked any of the other Thief games then eh? Warren was responsible for both of those...and Deus Ex I, if I am not mistaken. He was not responsible, however, for Deus Ex II.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 07:52 AM   #32
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Yeah big sales doesn't make games great so i disagree to Morrow's opinion.
I wasn't baseing my opinion on whether it sells well or not. I was baseing my opinion on whether I liked it or not (and many of my friends) AND if the game was also doing well at the boxoffice.

Again, my point was not to prove that PoP or XIII are super mega hits but rather to say that the current year has not been all bad like some people like to believe.

I really can't understand why people are saying that MP2 is bad game because it's short. I prerfer any day a short great game over a long boring game.

Quote:
Makes you miss old days when devs concentrated on story and lots of hours of play not advertisement bussines hype alot make sales and forget
Those days are numbered for sure and it has actually nothing to do with spending more or less on advertising but rather that the developping time of maps and models has increased over the time due to the always better getting graphicengines which require more work to produce better looking levels.

This trend is unfortunately not going to stop and only some developping studios which have the money and the time are able to produce above average long games... like Id or Valve.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-03, 09:13 AM   #33
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim
You must not have liked any of the other Thief games then eh? Warren was responsible for both of those...and Deus Ex I, if I am not mistaken. He was not responsible, however, for Deus Ex II.
Yup, you got that right. I have Thief 1/Gold/2, played all the missions (FM's that is, up to Hellerhouse) and yeah i really hate Thief. You can say that from my avatar as well.
Warren's position has still been basically the same. He is the boss at ISA, he has the final say, every design decision has been approved by him. He could veto anything he wanted in DE2 yet he didn't. He's still pulling the strings, not the Smith brothers (and they're not brothers btw). I have no doubt that he knows what/how to make a thief game. A company's a company though and if he has to take commercial decisions (sell out to the xbox) for the benefit of ISA, i can understand. I do not approve however.

Whether he was "forced" to do what he did with DE2 or not, i don't care. I'm harsh on the sequel, because a) it is developed by the same studio, they know exactly what to do b) he talked tough for months and months, hyped the game too much, promised too much, raised gamers expectations only to come up with a shadow of the previous game c) a sequel should always be compared to the original NOT seen as an individual game. Maybe you should have a better look at his IGN interview. His stance is worrying for Thief III (which he has already changed to Thief so that Xboxers won't see it as a sequel, they did the same to Invisible war in case you didn't notice). I saw it in E3 and they had it on a PC fitted with an Xbox controller. If that doens't tell you a thing, have a look at the demo/full version of IW. Hope you are good with editing. If he plans, for the sake of money/Xbox/you name it to **** up the most original game franchise of all time, as he did with IW, then he should do it, just use another name/characters. In short, what you failed to notice was that i'm worried about Thief III being (consiously) boutchered like Deus for the sake of more potential byers/crappy console. Obviously you are too confident they won't. Perhaps, you are quite satisfied with what you saw in IW then?
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP

Last edited by NAZCA M12; 12-06-03 at 09:21 AM.
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 10:23 AM   #34
NickSpolec

Quote:
You defend Mr. W a lot. Can I call you "The Super Warren Defender"?

[size=1][list][*]AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ (@2.5ghz, 1.850v)[*]Albatron KX18D PRO (NForce 2 Ultra @227FSB)[*]512MB's OCZ Platinum PC3200 EL (@DDR454, CAS 2.5, 6,3,3)[*]GeForce3 (@230c, 460m)[*]Fortissimo III, Gamesurround 7.1[*]POS Intel 56k Modem (soon to get high speed, though)[*]Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 120GB, ATA133 (8mb)[*]Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo (52x32x52x16x)[*]Lite-On LTR 16102B (16x8x40x)

[/size][/list]
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 10:33 AM   #35
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec
You defend Mr. W a lot. Can I call you "The Super Warren Defender"?
You call twice a lot?

Can I call you "Conclusion Jumper," or better yet, "Twit"?

Look people, Deus Ex: IW may suck ass (I have a feeling it does, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't say). If you are going to blame someone for the suckage, blame people like Kent Hudson (Game Designer) and Harvey Smith (Project Director). I'm sure that Warren gave his input here and there, but it wasn't his show.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-06-03 at 10:54 AM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-03, 01:12 PM   #36
SlyBoots

Question Did you happen to read the

Invisible War Diaries>

http://pc.ign.com/articles/444/444433p1.html?fromint=1
SlyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote