Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-03, 02:08 PM   #61
SlyBoots

Smile

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/528588.asp

currently hitting about 82%; not to bad IMO. I'll be interested in what PC Gamer has to say although Amazon has already shipped my preorder. I sure didn't see anything in the demo that would've made me cancel....
SlyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 02:26 PM   #62
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
9.1 / 10 "Editor's Choice Award" - OXM
5 Stars - Stuff Magazine
9 / 10 - IGN.com
4 Out of 5 Stars - GameSpy.com
9.5 / 10 - PC Score - Game Informer
9 / 10 - XBOX Score - Game Informer
Then you have Stuff Magazine.... sounds professional

You also included a XBOX score for some reason when this is about the PC version. So in short yes, those sites suck because if they cannot plainly see what is wrong with this game then they should not label themselves as a review site, more of a sell out corporate *****dom lab where the highest bidder gets 5 of our shiny stars.

Edit: Personally I will go with the view of the consumers who actually pay for the game, real gamers will tell the truth about it whereas IGN and Gamespy can't look past their latest check.
Old 12-08-03, 02:35 PM   #63
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sotos
It is strange to hear so much "bad words" about these game in a forum like these in here...
Why? If the game is bad it's kind of what I expect to hear.

Quote:
I have been to RAGE3d.com as i said and there are people that do not complain at all and they reccomended it it as one of the best games available to buy
Yeah, but there are people there who don't like it too....and R3D tends to attract a lot of 'special' posters who don't have opinions so much as they parrot gamespy/IGN etc.

Quote:
There are several review sites also (more than 1 or 2 actualy) that say these game is very good (both in Xbox and PC) and it will become better with patches in the Pc version
Yup, and the FX was awarded best GPU of 2003....

Seriously, most of the gaming sites are too much indebted to the gaming companies to say ANYTHING bad about the big game titles...and if DE:IW has one thing going for it is it's title.

Quote:

9.1 / 10 "Editor's Choice Award" - OXM
5 Stars - Stuff Magazine
9 / 10 - IGN.com
4 Out of 5 Stars - GameSpy.com
9.5 / 10 - PC Score - Game Informer
9 / 10 - XBOX Score - Game Informer

Scary thing? Of the sites I recognize I consider them a bit less than fluff sites, the other ones I can tell by their scores.

I shouldn't harsh on the game so much when I haven't even downloa...got it yet, but it's looking pretty bleak from all the forum info I've been getting and I tend to trust forum info more than sites that make their money off of game advertising.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 02:38 PM   #64
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Okay, say I'm crazy ("You're crazy!"), but here goes.

I picked up a copy of Deus Ex: IW (my logic: hey, if I hate it, I can always return it), and after reading the Ion Storm forums and the tech forums at Eidos, I got the game running pretty well on my system (AMD 2100+, 512MB DDR RAM, XP Pro, Geforce 4 Ti4200 (64MB)) at 800x600 - 2x Multisampling (no 'bloom' whatever the hell that means) and stable as a rock. All it took was a few minor changes to the defaults.ini file....all in all a total of about 10 minutes of time (~8 Minutes to read the forums for the fixes, <2 minutes to make the changes....big deal).

My conclusions, for what they are worth:

The storyline rocks....period. It really forces you to think about what you are doing and what you want to accomplish in the game with the choices you make and what actions you take, very much like the first Deus Ex. I won't give any spoilers away, but it isn't so much conspiracy oriented (unlike the first one) and more philosophy oriented (personal and socio-political). If that sounds vague, I'm sorry, but that's the best way I can explain it. If you play the game you will see what I mean.

The graphics are nice...very nice. As someone else mentioned, it uses unified lighting/shadows (i.e. all of the shadows are affected by the light sources....if the light moves, the shadows move). It's kind of neat to go into a location in the game that has hanging light fixtures and knock them around to watch the shadows dance.

Some poeple have complained about the inventory system and the biomod system. Well, I can't really say much other than they aren't much different from the first game. You can only select a limited number of biomods (just like the first game) and you can only upgrade them a certain number of times (again, just like the first game). I'll have to dust off my copy of the first game, but IIRC, you couldn't change mods once they were installed. Well, you can in this one. Also, you needed a medbot to install your mods in the first game, in this one you don't. How is this worse than DE1? If anything, it's better. You can install/upgrade/change mods on the fly.

As for the inventory system, well, you can hold only a certain number of things (just like DE1), but unlike DE1, you don't have to worry about how much space they take up in your inventory. Smaller items like grenades and medkits, etc. stack so they only take up one space each. How is this worse than DE1?

People have also complained about the unified ammo system. Well, I didn't think it was a good idea either at first, but I eventually got used to it......and eventually didn't even notice it really. The display showed how much ammo I had and that was that. The only worry you have is which weapons use more ammo than others and even then you soon forget about that too. I've played the game all the way through, and I typically had all the ammo I needed when it was necessary. Your mileage may vary though, depending on how you play the game.

Another complaint I've seen is about the HUD because it gets in the way, or it doesn't look like the old HUD. Well, as for looks, get over it...its a new game....new HUD. It shows you what you need to know. As for it getting in the way, that is fixable. You can change the size of the HUD in the default.ini file as well so that it is closer to the edges of the screen and less intrusive or you can make it more transparent in the in-game menus. I resized it and now I have no complaints.

The bottom line is, sure, the game was released with some glaring issues that could have easily been fixed or avoided before release (hell, I easily fixed a lot of them myself), but despite all of that, I think this game was well worth the purchase. I too, thought that this game was teh suxor from playing the demo. It just didn't give me the same feeling that I got from playing DE1 and the performance was crap, yadda yadda, you've heard it all before. Well, I gave the full game a shot anyway, and you know what? Not 5 minutes after I started playing the DE1 feeling came back (and if you really enjoyed DE1, you probably know what I am talking about).

If you enjoyed DE1, then you will most likely like DE2. Yes, there is crap to fix (or just wait for a patch), but trust me, it is well worth it. I was very pleasantly suprised. I will probably be playing it again very soon.

EDIT: P.S. - If you get the game and want some help getting it to run well, but don't want to bother (or feel like) going to the IS forums or Eidos forums, just PM me and I'll be happy to help.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-08-03 at 03:31 PM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 04:24 PM   #65
sxotty

Default Re: Re: Did you happen to read the

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-

Why can't kiddies go play donkey kong or whatever and let us have normal Deus Ex im so pissed at devs not gonna get my $$
Well if they sell nothing for the PC more will go console only... downward spiral.
Old 12-08-03, 06:14 PM   #66
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

1) If one of those so-called "well-respected" sites was to post that Myst for example is the best 3rd person action game of all time would it be valid?
What they say is one reviewer's opinion, nothing more/less.
2) I've said it again. While you might not like sth, you may get used to it after awhile. If we get used to a consolish HUD, we may as well get used to a game lasting 8 hours, we may get used to not getting an editor this time around, we should have no problem editing the game ourselves, we should get used to no leaning as well, no global saving of the settings, etc.
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 06:40 PM   #67
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Re: Did you happen to read the

Quote:
Originally posted by sxotty
Well if they sell nothing for the PC more will go console only... downward spiral.
And if you spend money on crappy console ports than they'll keep making 'em...M|22.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 07:18 PM   #68
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

I've been thinking, since we are all that forgiving and the game is absolutely incredible, maybe we should write to ISA about that, telling them there's no need for a patch. How about a thread called "Hey ISA..." starting like this:

Um, regarding the upcoming patch, since we gamers:

1) Got used to the big fonts
2) Got used to the game running like a dog on most systems (not all)
3) Feel very comfy with the HUD after playing the game twice
4) Got over not having an editor anymore
5) Agree on not having leaning, as no leaning further enhances stealth gameplay
6) Have no problem whatsoever with the unified ammo.
7) All agree that levels including water areas/reflective surfaces were all for show in the first one and shouldn't be in the sequel
8) Don't really bother having no Quicksaving anymore.
9) Love browsing various fora so as to edit our files and optimize the game...
10) Are quite happy with the settings not being saved globally/not being saved at all (since they're read only)

...we would like to inform you that there is no reason for a patch to be released, since the game is ****ing perfect. We thank you for that incredible game and can't wait to play DX3: The streamlined War. Please give TIII the same treatment as well.
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-03, 07:57 PM   #69
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12

...we would like to inform you that there is no reason for a patch to be released, since the game is ****ing perfect. We thank you for that incredible game and can't wait to play DX3: The streamlined War. Please give TIII the same treatment as well.
Want some cheese to go with that whine?

Seriously man, your prea...er bitching to the choir here. Sure, we don't like having to patch our games and sure, we don't like having sucky (however subjective that term is) games, but what good do you think bitching about it here is doing? We don't make the games, we just play them.

I mean really, it's a sequel, what do you expect? Sequels by their very nature tend to be bad. Why? Because you have this built up image in your head of what it should be, based on what the original was to you and it will almost always fail to live up to those expectations (whether it is due to those expectations being too high, or the game is just bad). There are obviously exceptions to this general rule, but they are few.

Personally, I don't play a game because it has a learning system, or because it has reflective surfaces or bodies of water. I tend to play them for the gameplay or the storyline. Yes, I know that the learning system can add to the gameplay, but it isn't a necessary component in order for a game to have good gameplay. In DE2s case, you want to learn to hack? Great, save up money and get the biomod for it. In DE1, save up your XP and 'buy' the skill. The root of the idea is still there, you have to work for the ability, it's just going about it a different way.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 08:47 PM   #70
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hey, noone said the game was perfect. Of course it has it's faults, some of which will be fixed in patchs, but when you pay more attention to the faults of the game rather then the good things about it that's a sign that you've already given up on the game. When I played the demo, I saw the crappy AI, the buggy physics system, and the lack of location-based damage, but I also saw multiple solutions to problems, many secret/optional quests, and a story that sounded very engrossing. I could choose to dwell on the bad parts of the game, and pass it off as a loss, or I could live with it, and play the game for what it is. Of course it has problems, all games have problems (anyone else remember the way that your AI allies wouldn't follow you up ladders in Half-life?), but I'm not willing to let a few disapointments get in the way of a good game for me. Hell, I played all the way through Rune unpatched, and that game was in such a broken state at release that it was barely able to be completed. In fact, the only way I got past one of the game-stopping bugs in that game was to exploit ANOTHER bug that let me walk through a wall!
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 03:00 AM   #71
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Crappy AI, crappy physics and no location damage imo is not made up for by a "good story".

Stealth is rather pointless if you can't take a guard down with a single headshot. I guess if you shot the floor by his feet he would be too busy running in circles to notice you go by
Old 12-09-03, 03:43 AM   #72
silence

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
In fact, the only way I got past one of the game-stopping bugs in that game was to exploit ANOTHER bug that let me walk through a wall!

heh..i remember those doors still, somewhere in that viking village. i almost went insane after hour and half of reloading and trying to find my way....then i went to forums to find out u bloody cant open the doors you need......

Rune multiplayer was some of the best fun i ever had playing games.....nothing like chopping you m8s that sit next to you ON LAN and then chasing them while they have no arm....and beating them with their arm if you feel really nasty
silence is offline   Reply With Quote