Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-09-03, 08:07 PM   #85
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Careful there! Because if i'm bitching about it, your repeated ass-kissing attitude makes me think you're a major shareholder of ISA. Likewise, the fact that you loved it, doesn't mean that whoever disagrees with you is an ignorant or something. Yes, you got that right, i don't like a lot of things about it. So do a couple of thousands of people as well (who also signed for the game to be delayed) who had the same expectations with me only to apparently, get a port of the Xbox version, badly rushed to the PC with Q&A testing made by Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles (apologies to them, no disrespect meant). If you think i'm the only one here, read the thread again. You can always go to the ISA forum and ask what's wrong with the PC version of the game. But seriously now, you've got a great excuse. That one...
1. I never said I loved the game. I said that it was worth checking out for the story and that the bugs (to me) were tolerable for it. Pleasantly surprised is a far cry from loved.

2. I never said that anyone who disagrees with me is ignorant, nor do I think it. To assume that would be ignorant.

3. I know lots of people don't like this game. I know that a lot of disappointment is going around about this game. Big deal, it happens for every game. Someone is always unhappy about something in some game. I thought Call of Duty was mediocre at best, you don't like DE2, so what. The point is, bitching about it on and on is not going to do any good.

As for my 'excuse', it's not excuse, it's pretty much a truth. How many sequels can you think of off the top of your head that were as good as or better than the first of their series? Not many can you? So you tell me, who's making excuses?

All in all, I think you need to do some hard thinking before you post next on this. Really.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro

Last edited by Nephilim; 12-10-03 at 08:59 AM.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 08:07 PM   #86
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

I loved DX1. DXIW has major performance issues...and I had a lot of issues with the changes, and it's very obvious case of console-itis...but I eventually got over it, got into the game, and finished it, and it was awesome.

Not nearly as awesome as DX, but still awesome.

Yeah, I was pissed at first, and even got banned from Eidos forums a few days ago for voicing my "opinion".
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 09:28 PM   #87
SlyBoots

Smile LoL

Quote:
Originally posted by RoachMojo
I loved DX1. DXIW has major performance issues...and I had a lot of issues with the changes, and it's very obvious case of console-itis...but I eventually got over it, got into the game, and finished it, and it was awesome.

Yeah, I was pissed at first, and even got banned from Eidos forums a few days ago for voicing my "opinion".
I noticed quite a few bannings going on over there Personally, I've been a big fan of DX and always list it as my #1 in polls.......that said, I followed all the interviews & knew there were going to be things I wouldn't like in DX2.........however, I chose to keep an open mind & will make my final comments after I play the game, whenever UPS decides to deliver it.

SlyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 10:56 PM   #88
SlyBoots

Quote:
Originally posted by SlyBoots
[url] I'll be interested in what PC Gamer has to say although Amazon has already shipped my preorder. I sure didn't see anything in the demo that would've made me cancel....
PC Gamer weighs in with an 83%............about what I'd guessed
Old 12-14-03, 07:00 PM   #89
SlyBoots

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by RoachMojo
...but I eventually got over it, got into the game, and finished it, and it was awesome.

yep; finished my first run through and had a ball

and that was w/o the patch.....will install and go for more DX:IW sweetness

and to all the naysayers out there, this is for you ..!..
Old 12-14-03, 07:18 PM   #90
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by SlyBoots
yep; finished my first run through and had a ball

and that was w/o the patch.....will install and go for more DX:IW sweetness

and to all the naysayers out there, this is for you ..!..
You know, Sly, it was fun...but in retrospect, I am still so very dissapointed by it, mostly due to the consolitus thing.

God, this game makes me schizo. I both love it and hate it at the same time...

Still, if you love DX, you have to play it.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
Old 12-14-03, 10:17 PM   #91
St Lobus

Send a message via ICQ to St Lobus

Now, it may not be the best game around, but I've had a great time with DE:IW. The story line is intriguing, doing missions is fun even if they are kinda basic fed ex quests. What I'm having fun with are the different ways to accomplish things and playing with the physics. I love throwing the boxes and bodies around. I think it's a cool game, esp. with the patch. Reading all the negative posts and about the problems probably helped me with this, too. I came to expect to hate the game, read about the patch, thought, "It really can't be that bad, can it?" and bought the stupid thing. Two days later, I still can't get enough of it. Mind you, I thought the demo was horrible, but the patch really helped with a lot of the performance issues I personally had. But, again, my opinion. I know it doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Old 12-19-03, 12:46 AM   #92
SlyBoots

Thumbs up

Two times through and starting a third more fun than a barrel of monkeys Know your enemy & turn loose the Drones

Old 12-19-03, 01:05 AM   #93
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Heh, well, nice to see SOMEONE is enjoying the game at least. Are the endings very different? And do you actually have to do most of the game over to get the different endings, or is it like DX1 where you can just save before you do one and then reload the game and do the others?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-03, 01:46 PM   #94
SlyBoots

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
or is it like DX1 where you can just save before you do one and then reload the game and do the others?
Yea, you can do it like that, and I did a couple endings like that, but it's more fun to play through trying different stuff. I missed a lot the first time through & mainly used weapons; second time I made use of the biomod drones, also picked up the asassin pistol & hellfire boltcaster
Old 12-22-03, 12:26 PM   #95
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, finally got the chance to play the full version, and all I can say is: WOW! For all the bad publicity the game has gotten (well, mainly just certain chat rooms) I'm amazed at how good it is. I've only played it with the 1.1 patch, but so far I haven't run into many major issues or location-based damage. For one, the interface is working just fine for me (the way that everything takes up 1 slot is kinda limiting, but then again I am a bit of a grenade hog), in fact I like it BETTER then DX1's in some ways. And there is DEFINATLY location-based damage, but it seems to only be mainly noticable with the pistol and sniper rifle (though it's pretty hard to see where your shotgun and SMG bullets are hitting). But I LOVE the new bio-mod system, it's nice the way that you actually have to make more important choices about what to get, and the passive bio-mods are such a huge improvement over the origional's "activation-only" mods. And it makes upgrading them so much more important, it was very strange in the origional having a bio-mod that decreases the energy cost of the other bio-mods (which of course can be upgraded to take up less energy), and then having a skill like Cloaking which when upgraded takes up less energy. Wouldn't it make much more sense to upgrade the total-energy-reducing biomod rather then the cloaking one? Let alone the need to activate a bio-mod to reduce the energy cost of bio-mods...who came up with that system? Also, the side-quests are very numerous, and I now actually have some worthwile things to spend my money on (unlike the origional). I've been playing for a little under 2 hours, and I just left Seatle with over $4000 and 5 black market upgrade canisters (as well as every kind of weapon mod).

The loss of the skill system was at first a bit annoying, but now I find myself using almost all the weapons rather then only the ones I'm trained with (let's be honest, there was no reason to upgrade all the weapon skills equally when you could just poor all your points into 1 or 2). In the same way, the universal ammo system seemed at first really stupid, but it makes the game much less limiting. In the origional, I would always carry a assault rifle, sniper rifle, and shotgun not because I liked using them all, but because I'd never have enough ammo to use any of them individually. I would've much rather not used the shotgun at all, but I knew as soon as I ran out of ammo for the assault rifle that I would've been totally screwed at close range (unless I also put points into melee combat with the Dragon sword, which would take skill points away from other things I wanted to upgrade). I'm amazed at how negativly this was recieved, as other games had univeral-ammo systems and I don't remember hearing anyone complain about it (Star Trek: Elite Force for example). Now, I'm going through the game with a pistol and sniper rifle just fine, with plans to use the Mag Rail once I get it. Also, the upgrades are now very useful, and since you can only put 2 on a single weapon, you're encouraged to make each weapon have a purpose. Again it seems like they've "trimmed the fat" by getting rid of unneccisary things (was there ANY real point to using a laser sight when you automaticly have a targeting cursor?).

Also, I'm wondering where the whole "consolitis" idea comes from. So far the only thing about the game that I can tell was definatly modified for the console is the level size. Loading times are more common, and the areas are smaller then in the origional. However, I found it to be just fine the way it is, and didn't detract from the gameplay at all. Performence wasn't great, but it was still a hell of a lot better then I remember Deus Ex 1 to be back in the day (even on my friend's 500 mhz computer). I haven't come across any real AI problems yet, but then again I don't randomly go around shooting people either. Neutrals don't seem to go hostile on you unless they actually see you shoot someone else (or themselves), but considering how many AI problems the first Deus Ex had I wasn't expecting much more out of it.

So anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far. In fact I'm looking forward to playing through the game a second time, simply so that I can have a different type of character (this time I took combat strength, but next time I wanna see what it'll be like with bot domination). I honestly wish I hadn't looked on any message boards about this game, because I was seriously underhyping this game for myself. It may not be a carbon copy of Deus Ex 1, but it's certainly an enjoyable gaming experience on it's own. And I haven't even gotten into the story yet.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 12:46 PM   #96
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Also, I'm wondering where the whole "consolitis" idea comes from.
If you had played the game when it was released (without the patch), you would have seen many symptoms of "consolitis". 90% of the patch fixes removed these symptoms.

Aside from the long and frequent loading times, the tiny maps and the simplified interface, the game shipped with a great many console specific optimizations, like mouse lag, huge on-screen text, obtrusive menu systems, and an interface crafted for use with a gamepad.

Oh, and that stellar performance at 800x600...my FX5900U and my 3.3ghz machine should not be dipping into the teens on ANY game, not at that res.

The developers have flatly stated that this game was designed with the console in mind. They were very specific and quite open about it.

While I do agree that the game is fun, it is also a dissapointment and is seen by many, including me, as the beginning of the end for pc games, hence the overly bitter communities.

[EDIT] Edge, I also had a state of the art rig when Deus Ex was released and it performed beautifully, FYI.