Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-22-03, 02:04 PM   #97
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, I'm not sure what's going on with the performences, as my 1.4 ghz with a TI4200 runs it fine at 800x600, with the lowest I've seen it drop at around 15 (except for that one area in the inclinator). You'd think that with cards like the FX5900 and 9800 which are supposed to be twice as fast as my TI4200 that the game would never drop below 30 on a good machine. Though I'd like to know how it actually runs on the Xbox, I just have a hard time believing that it could be smooth on that, either.

Oh, and Deus Ex 1 was really skippy with a non-3dfx card for the longest time until a few patches came out. My friend with a Geforce 2 (which hadn't been out for long) said he had to run the game at 800x600 to get decent framerates. Hmm, maybe if they had designed DX:IW around Glide and the T-buffer it would've run better

Though why are people still complaining about the consolitis if the patch fixed most of the issues? Also the interface hardly seems designed for a control pad (except maybe the security terminals and such), it's very easy to move stuff around and equip stuff with the mouse. Though I do remember from the demo that the buttons were set up kinda wierd for adding mods and swapping things around.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 02:58 PM   #98
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Well, I'm not sure what's going on with the performences, as my 1.4 ghz with a TI4200 runs it fine at 800x600, with the lowest I've seen it drop at around 15 (except for that one area in the inclinator). You'd think that with cards like the FX5900 and 9800 which are supposed to be twice as fast as my TI4200 that the game would never drop below 30 on a good machine. Though I'd like to know how it actually runs on the Xbox, I just have a hard time believing that it could be smooth on that, either.

Oh, and Deus Ex 1 was really skippy with a non-3dfx card for the longest time until a few patches came out. My friend with a Geforce 2 (which hadn't been out for long) said he had to run the game at 800x600 to get decent framerates. Hmm, maybe if they had designed DX:IW around Glide and the T-buffer it would've run better

Though why are people still complaining about the consolitis if the patch fixed most of the issues? Also the interface hardly seems designed for a control pad (except maybe the security terminals and such), it's very easy to move stuff around and equip stuff with the mouse. Though I do remember from the demo that the buttons were set up kinda wierd for adding mods and swapping things around.
Yeah, you would think it would be above 30fps at 800x600 no matter what with this kind of hardware, but such is not the case. There is NO hardware config that can run this game the way it should.

People are still complaining because they, like me, feel betrayed. Nothing can get rid of the tiny maps, the lengthy load times, the shortness of the game, the lack of the ability to lean. The list goes on. Oh, and about your moving stuff around with the mouse to equip? That was in the patch...Before you had to use the KB to do it.

I bought the game, finished it in 4 days (14 hours) and almost returned it, but I decided to keep it to fund further hope for a real Deus Ex sequel, hopefully made for the pc this time around. I certainly can't play DX:IW again like it is. It's just laughing at me and my machine.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-03, 07:22 PM   #99
deejaya
Monster 3d

Quote:
Originally posted by RoachMojo
Yeah, you would think it would be above 30fps at 800x600 no matter what with this kind of hardware, but such is not the case. There is NO hardware config that can run this game the way it should.
I ran it on a 2500+ Barton with 9700 Pro in 1024x768 with 2xAA and 2xAF and it ran peachy, not one slowdown or jerk from start to finish. I think this is because it was designed for the Xbox in mind, but I am not denying some people do have problems running it on systems that should with no trouble. I think there is something wrong in the game cos I really had no room to complain about performance.

Quote:
People are still complaining because they, like me, feel betrayed. Nothing can get rid of the tiny maps, the lengthy load times, the shortness of the game, the lack of the ability to lean. The list goes on. Oh, and about your moving stuff around with the mouse to equip? That was in the patch...Before you had to use the KB to do it.
Tiny maps sucked, but only when I compared them to the size of maps found in Deus Ex. Forgetting the first game made them much more swallowable. The only problem I had with the load times was the stupid resolution switching, but I think that was fixed in the patch. I liked leaning in the first, but looking back on the 2nd I don't think I would have leaned once anyway.

The sequel was not a lot like the first, but I was just happy to get a dose of Deus Ex, even if it was very console like and had a lot of nags. Most of them are fixed in the patch apart from the ones that couldn't be fixed without redoing most of the game. I can't really say the game was bad - I enjoyed it a lot, and is the first game I have played to the end for a long time.

Folding for team nV News
deejaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-03, 06:00 AM   #100
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Huh, odd, just for the heck of it I decided to try running the game at 1024x768 with 2xAA on my machine, and at least in the areas I was in, it never dropped below 15 FPS (at least not whenever I looked at fraps). Now there's no way in hell my aging TI4200 is able to play it better then 9800s (which many people have been complaining have to play at 800x600 to get above 20fps). I wonder if there's some kind of engine limitation, it's possible that the shadows are somehow limiting the max FPS you can get in certain scenes (kinda like how Homeworld only ran at like 24 FPS in the cutscenes because of the tic rate). If that is the case, then a patch could theoreticly raise the framerate on all machines. Kinda like how Outcast is skippy at 512x384 no matter what computer you run it on. BTW, anyone know where to get that auto-tweaker program for DX:IW?

Oh, and while it is kinda a bummer to not have leaning anymore, it wasn't really that useful in the first game because I found out that you're just as visible peaking around a corner as you are standing there (at least guards always seemed to notice me when I only peaked my head around a box). I donno, after hearing some of the complaints about DX:IW, I'm wondering why noone seems to remember all the faults that DX1 had (at least the AI in DX:IW doesn't automaticly know exactly where you are when you fire your weapon).

The tiny maps are kinda annoying, but they sure did condense everything. Seems like now you only have to walk like a couple hundred feet to get to the objective sometimes, in the origional you had to hike through a like a mile of open areas to get anywhere. Wonder how hard it would be for a mod group to combine some of the maps into 1 so that there wouldn't be as much load time (since it should just take a bit of re-writing the triggers to get it to work). Though we'd actually need the map source file to get that to work...
Old 12-24-03, 06:28 PM   #101
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN
Default iw

to small,far to much dumbing down.good graphics but hate the havok
engines effects on the game.in u2 you could turn it down or off from
within the menu.and another crazy thing is,i have to run it in compati
bility mode [98/me] on my XPsp1 install [98/me] or it crashes to the desktop.choppy at 10x7_2anisoxQuin with everything maxxed.but
fun nonetheless.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 11:14 AM   #102
zack

I recently finished the first Deus Ex for the first time after a friend recommended it. Great game.. Even by today's standards I still think it holds up well. This is because of the storyline and the interactivity of it and the freedom to follow your own path and not a predetermined one, at least sort of.... Not because of the location-based damage and skill points system.. Those were just icing on the cake

I just downloaded the demo for DX: Invisible War and played it for about 20 minutes or so.. Yes, it seems dumbed down compared to the prequel. Universal ammo, GIANT text, smaller maps, automated hax0ring of ATm's etc.. I think the main reason is because they wanted to have it on the Xbox too.. It's basically a console game ported to PC. Consoles don't have as much memory as a PC, which means smaller maps.. They made a PS2 port of the original DX. It was basically the same game, but the maps were in smaller chunks.. I think in this case, they are trying to make the console and PC version both identical. Saves them time I guess.. They are trying to appeal to a larger audience with this one.. A lot of poeple would prefer one button hacking of ATM's instead of having to go through an interface and picking the amount to withdraw.. Less tedious, but also less realistic..

Despite these shortcomings, I still think it will be a fun game, just like the original, if the storyline prevails.. One thing I do like about the new one is the objects are a lot more interactive.. Barrels don't just fall flat on the ground and make a clanking sound.. They can tip over and you can roll them.. Crates roll like dice, etc..

I do have some performance issues though.. Seems like it's skipping frames, and the mouse lags a little bit.. I'm using an Athlon 1800+ with a GF4 Ti4400. It's still very playable, and I think I might buy the full version if maybe the patch makes it run a little better.
zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 04:46 PM   #103
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Despite these shortcomings, I still think it will be a fun game, just like the original, if the storyline prevails..
Oh, that it certainly does. Even if you hate the gameplay (personally I found it fine), you'll probably find the story interesting to say the least. A few suprising plot twists that I didn't expect.

Though while I do agree that some elements were "simplified" for the console (though things like ATM and security computer hacking are done the same way as the first game, you just no longer have the option of manually entering the login/password), but the new stuff is interesting to say the least. The new bio-mods like Bot Domination and the new weapon mods certainly add a new dimension to the game. Not as good as the first, but i still found the game to be very enjoyable. Disapointing, yes, but not nearly as much as Homeworld 2 was to me.
Old 01-06-04, 06:31 PM   #104
The Baron

Just from the commercial, I can tell that the cities were destroyed with nanotech "grey goo."

Old 01-06-04, 08:13 PM   #105
SlyBoots

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Just from the commercial, I can tell that the cities were destroyed with nanotech "grey goo."
City! and they weren't Cubs fans either
SlyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 09:35 PM   #106
zack

Are there any tweaks that would make this game run a little better on a Ti4400 ?
zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-04, 12:24 AM   #107
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN
Default the dog like performance

its not the 3d engine,but the havok physics engine bogging everything down.so no,turn down the detail.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote