Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-03, 05:59 AM   #13
Jon

I believe its to do with the Nvidia drivers. Using the 52.16s the game froze for about 3 seconds, using the 53.03 its only 1 second. I have read a lot of threads about this problem and it seems ATI owners solved the stutter problem with a new beta driver (3.10 I think). I just played a little of Simpsons hit and run and that stutters every so often too... Definately did not notice this with the old detonator 4x.xx drivers...
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 06:52 AM   #14
Jon

Unhappy

Don't understand, if you start a race and it stutters, restart the race and it doesn't stutter until you go past the place you reached before you restarted as if its already cached then.

Last edited by Jon; 12-08-03 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-09-03, 03:19 AM   #15
Jon

I did see on the NFS forum that the stuttering stopped for some people when they lowered hardware acceleration one notch for graphics... the top notch is supposed to include hardware mouse pointer!
Old 12-09-03, 02:02 PM   #16
Jon

Yeah, its the official NFS forum... seems like a lot of people are getting crashes with it.

I've pretty much tried every bios setting (agp aperture, 4x,2x, fastwrites on/off, sideband addressing on/off) all the driver settings I can think of (vsync, AA, AF, quality/performance) and all the NFS settings (Resolution, glow, blur, etc).

Let me know how the hardware acceleration slider goes.

NVidia have put official 55.03 drivers on their site, don't know if there are any difference between these and the evga drivers though.
Old 12-10-03, 02:44 AM   #17
Jon

I am going to try the 45.23 drivers again tonight. I'm sure that when I first played it I didn't notice this stutter. I am sure my bios/driver settings are the same as when I started, also, I have reformatted and reinstalled about 4 times in the last two weeks so I could try different driver versions. I noticed in the 53.03, Nvidia fixed stuttering in the X2 benchmark I think. I believe the problem is caused by one of the optimisations in the 5x.xx drivers.
Old 12-10-03, 02:53 AM   #18
Mullins1060

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilEye
Well, the only problem I´m havin´ is how the *censured* does a Peugeot 206 outrun my Nissan Skyline GT-R?!?!?! I mean, it doesn´t matter how much you put under the hood of the 206 it will still not outrun a Skyline. Aggressive "catchup" perhaps?
the ai doesnt cheat i completed the whole game just using a golf. with all the upgrades and special bonus unique upgrades you get it gives u a fast car lol. then once i had completed the game i got a mazda mx7 i think and it didnt go any faster but it did handle better
M/B: Asus Rampage Formula (0401 BIOS) | CPU: Intel Xeon 3350 @ 3.6GHz (8x450MHz) 1.256v | HSF: Tuniq Tower 120-LFB | RAM: 2x2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 @ 1080MHz 5-5-5-15 2T 2.1v | GFX: 1792MB EVGA GeForce GTX 295 | HD: 2x300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache (RAID 0) | SOUND: Asus SupremeFX II | PSU: OCZ ModXStream 900W | CASE: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80B
Mullins1060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-03, 01:25 PM   #19
Jon

Oh good, I'm not going totally crazy... I reinstalled the 45.23 drivers... the stutter is still there, but you have to be looking hard for it to see it. In the 52.16s the stutter is terrible, the 53.03 is somewhere in between the two.

So I guess there are two solutions.... either Nvidia fix it in the drivers or EA patch it so that it stops doing whatever it is doing during the stutter. By the way, does anyone know how I can submit this problem to NVidia so it stands a chance of actually getting fixed (not everyone is suffering from it so there is a chance it won't be)?
Old 12-11-03, 02:52 AM   #20
Jon

I submitted the problem to EA tech support about 9:00 last night... no solution yet, but I got an email from them this morning saying they would be happy to help me work out the problem and asking for diagnostic info. So I'll let you know what happens with that. I am pleasantly suprised in getting such a quick and positive response as generally, I stopped writing to companies for tech suppot due to never getting a response (Asus, Creative, Asaka, etc).

Old 12-11-03, 01:12 PM   #21
Jon

I used the ask a question tab on the ea support site. Just mailed them the stuff they asked for.

Out of pure desperation, I disabled the page file in XP. NFS performance seems to be much improved overall, but the stutter is still there. Plus the hard disk light flickers madly when it stutters. Guess it must be loading stuff.
Old 12-11-03, 01:36 PM   #22
Jon

Just a thought, but what sound cards are you using in your 2 computers?
Old 12-12-03, 02:34 AM   #23
Jon

The response from EA Tech support after checking my diagnostic info reveals that the source of the stutter is in fact.... because I have a via chipset... and is therefore nothing to do with them or the game and they directed me to viaarena.com to fix it.

So there we have it, problem solved... I realise that via have had and still have some problems with there motherboards, but I really think that all companies use it as a scapegoat for poor software.

I notice that you have 2 A7N8X's which use the nforce chipset... mine is the A7V8X so uses the via chipset. I bet your response from EA will be... all your problems are related to the nforce chipset, go to this totally unrelated web page.

Looking at the evidence, a lot of people are experiencing stutters with the 9800/5900 cards. Not just in need for speed. In the 45.23 drivers I didn't even notice the stutter. In the 52.16 is was totally unplayable. The 53.03 is just annoying. Many people say the Cat 3.10 beta did the trick for them. So I think it is probably safe to say my only option is to stick need for speed in the cupboard until Nvidia release some drivers that fix it.

Just for information, my friend has an almost identical system to mine, the only difference being he has a 5200 and I have a 5900. NFS runs smoothly on his system, maybe I should swap cards with him.
Old 12-12-03, 02:40 AM   #24
Jon

By the way, the website I was directed to says that video editing and secondary IDE channel performance are bad on the MSI KT266 when the CPU temperature alarm is enabled in the bios.

Which is greatly helpful except for the fact that I have never had a problem with the secondary IDE channel, the hard disc is on the primary channel and I don't have an MSI KT266.

I think I have an option to shut off at 90 degress in the bios or something like that. I will disable it anyway and see if it helps. *holding breath* Fire extinguisher on standby.