Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-03, 06:16 AM   #25
Jon

Hope you have better luck than I did. My latest response suggests lowering all detail settings. Which I did explain to them I had already done. What part of why does my game stutter with a Geforce FX 5900, 1024mb of ram, Windows XP and a 2ghz processor at 640x480 with all details at low don't they understand.

I'm afraid to say that if I have no luck with the MSI 53.03 drivers then I will be putting my Ti4600 back in.

The only advice I can give is that I downloaded powerstrip yesterday. Looking at the PCI latency, the 5900 was at 248, NIC at 128 and Audigy 2 at 32. I lowered all of the usb ports to latency 8. Changed the NIC to 8 as well, Audigy 2 to 30 and FX5900 to 42. This reduced the stutter noticeably. Possibly you will have better luck with it than me... it was late last night and I lost patience with it (haven't played any games for 2 weeks now, spent all my time troubleshooting NFS).

I'll post any relevations I come across.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-03, 08:38 AM   #26
Jon

Well, I have the answer but you ain't going to like it one bit. Wasn't hardly noticeable in the 45.23, terrible in 52.16 and annoying in 53.03. I decided to give the 44.03 a try since that was the one I was most happy with when I had my 4600. Well, its a bit of a trade... using the 53.03, the game really flys on my machine but with the annoying stutter. Using the 44.03, the whole thing feels slower, but no stutter at all. Hopefully I will get used to it, or possibly tweak it up a bit.

Looking at the NFS forum, a lot of people with top machines are having exactly the same problem. It seems the answer is to wait for a Nvidia driver fix. But how do we go about notifying them. I will send my findings to EA tech support and see if they can help.
Old 12-13-03, 02:29 PM   #27
Jon

Don't know what good it will do me, but I emailed EA asking them if there is any chance of submitting it as a bug to Nvidia.

I'm running with the 44.03s at the moment. NFS is great, but I have to admit it is a little depressing having to go so far back in the drivers (I've had 3 blue screens so far which always occur on startup when using anything before 52.16).

Let me know how it goes with the 44.03s...
Old 12-13-03, 02:43 PM   #28
Jon

Yep, everything maxed out 1024x768, silky smooth. Hehe, almost had a heart attack when the sound got stuck in a loop... then released it was part of the tune.... growing old sucks....
Old 12-14-03, 11:15 AM   #29
Jon

Im glad thats solved it. At the moment I am using 4xAA and 8xAF. I think I will drop it down to 2xAA and see what its like.

Im really getting into the game now, Ill try any new drivers as and when they come out to see if it gets fixed... dont think I am going to bother with EA anymore as there latest idea was to try the 55.03s again and kill all background processes. Call me an idiot, but if its a background process, why do the 44.03s work.

Still wish there was some way of submitting this to Nvidia though... maybe I will try MSI as they make my 5900....
Old 12-14-03, 04:36 PM   #30
john19055

I am running the game with a 9800pro and this game is very addictive,ran it about 20 hours yesterday,The game ran perfect until I added some of the cheat codes and then I got that studdering everone is talking about ,but turning down the hardware acceleration a notch fixed the studdering. What is the cheat code that unlocks everthing.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-03, 02:27 AM   #31
Jon

Personally I find the force feedback in the game too much... I've got a dual force feedback controller and just turning a corner is so violent it makes me feel sick. I realise I've never corned at that speed before but I'm not convinced the car would shake that much.

I haven't used any cheats at all, so I know that is not the cause of the stuttering for me.

When I first started with the 44.03s I had AA at application and AF at off. When I started up the game, looking at the jagged car spoiler made me forget I had the latest graphics card so I turned on 4xAA. The outline of the car was super smooth. I turned it down to 2xAA later and the car still looks just as smooth. So I know AA does work, just can't tell the difference between 2x and 4x.

By the way, I also noticed an improvement in frame rates by disabling shadows. Plus I didn't notice any shadows anyway.
Old 12-16-03, 02:41 AM   #32
Jon

I have the same gamepad and I noticed too that it still trembles sometimes when braking hard even with FF turned off. I also noticed that with FF on there is stuttering even with the 44.03 drivers.

Thanks for the info, I was tempted to reformat/reinstall, just the fact that it takes ages to configure XP to my liking once installed really puts me off.

I know the stuttering is not caused by the gamepad as long as forcefeedback is turned off as I have at one point tried it with all usb devices disconnected (including the mouse!).

I've got nothing better to play at the moment so its NFS or nothing. I think I will use the 44.03s... I'm sure by the time new drivers come out I would probably have completed it anyway.

Old 12-17-03, 03:19 AM   #33
Jon

Got a reply from MSI tech support this morning just saying that they have passed my bug report on to the software team for further investigation. Sounds more promising than EA. Lets hope they come up with an answer.
Old 12-17-03, 05:26 AM   #34
Jon

Just a dumb thought... but what hard disc are you using for NFS/Windows Owa? Also, are you using ribbon IDE cables or rounded IDE cables? I just read a thread in another forum that said his data transfer rate using rounded cables was 28mb/sec, using grey ribbon cables is 47mb/sec. The bad performance is caused by CRC errors so data has to be resent.

I've had problems with round cables before on another computer and wonder if that might be a possible cause. After all, loads of people are playing NFS with 5900s using the 53.03 drivers!!!
Old 12-18-03, 02:24 AM   #35
Jon

Wow, impressive... I have 2x WD 120gb 7200 8mb, UDMA mode 5. I ran HDTach last night and the hard discs performed as expected, what was quite strange is that HDTach reports on CPU usage during HD access and it measured 25%. I guess that if EA are blaming background processes, losing 25% of the processing power even for a fraction of a second is enough to cause slow down.

I'm guessing that EA must have had a number of reports of this problem. They have also had a lot of reports of crashes and freezing during the game. I think there is a point at which tech support have to give up and go ask/tell the developers that there is a problem which no amount of tweaking is going to solve.
Old 12-18-03, 04:23 AM   #36
Jon

Cat 3.10s are officially out now... doesn't mention anything I can see that would be related to the NFS stutter... but if they work they work I guess.