Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-03, 11:32 AM   #1
NMG

Default 1.0-4499 / K8T800 / SuSE 9.0 AMD64 / Quadro4 980 XGL

I've followed the installation instructions to the letter for nVidia's drivers and the SuSE patch, then repeated them to make sure. But every time I specify the nVidia driver for XF86 I get a screen full of garbage in lieu of the normal X startup screen. Everything's fine with the generic "nv" driver, but it lacks OpenGL and 3D stereo support -- which I need for molecular modeling.

My config file and verbose error log are linked. Hardware/software is as follows:

MSI K8T Master2-FAR motherboard (VIA K8T800)
SuSE Linux 64-bit Pro
PNY nVidia Quadro4 980 XGL

<A href="http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gourlie/XF86Config.log">XF86Config</A>

<A href="http://www.its.caltech.edu/~gourlie/XFree86.0.nvidia.log">Log</A>
NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 12:24 PM   #2
beaner

You will have trouble doing Molecular Modeling on that system for now.
There are numerous issues with this drive and AGP support.

You will have to add in line in you XF86Config file so that it loads the right AGP support driver and it will not do AGP8X. That's what I have on a machine here and lets just say that my Quadro 2000 has given me nothing remotely close to what I was expecting.

I have a dual opteron and the Quadro 2000 and my PIII450 with a geforce2 at home gives me better 3d performance than the system here...

But anyhow. Here is the line you will need to add.

In the Device section, where you have "Driver "nvidia""
you add
Option "NvAgp" "2"

You can change the value. I can't remember exactly but I know different values load different AGP options.
2 is the only one that works on my system.

PS: what are you using to do the Molecular rendering? I need to shop for one that will run on Linux whenever I can this system working better.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 01:03 PM   #3
NMG

I'll give that a try and see if it works. Right now I have Option "NvAGP" "3" so maybe using 2 will fix my problem.

I use O (http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~alwyn/o_frameset.html) for modeling. It has a lot of really useful features, but it takes a bit of learning.
Old 12-03-03, 03:11 PM   #4
NMG

Default Didn't work.

Same result as before: a screen full of high-register ASCII characters.

I've read before (posted by "Forge" ?) that nVidia's driver won't work with the VIA K8T800 chipset... is that true?
Old 12-03-03, 04:58 PM   #5
NMG

Default NvAgp 1

Using Option "NvAgp" "1" it works. However, the screen writes seem really slow sometimes.
Old 12-04-03, 09:50 AM   #6
msc

We are having similar issues here. Dual Opteron, RedHat 9 Enterprise, Asus V9560 card with GeForce FX5600 GPU. Also using the 4499 drivers. X crashes, or hangs unless NvAGP is set to 0 or 2. But will definitely crash if we load glx.

Are you guys able to load glx? I really don't want to ask my boss for $$ for a new graphics card, if that is the issue.

My other thought is to configure the machine so that I can boot using 32 bit Redhat, which will hopefully allow me to get my 3-D back. At this point,
3-D is more important to me than 64-bit.

My other gripe is that installing the 4499 drivers seemed to have wiped out my glx libraries that the nv driver was using. I'd even settle for falling back to nv if I could get glx going again.
msc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-03, 11:07 AM   #7
msc

We are having similar issues here. Dual Opteron, RedHat 9 Enterprise, Asus V9560 card with GeForce FX5600 GPU. Also using the 4499 drivers. X crashes, or hangs unless NvAGP is set to 0 or 2. But will definitely crash if we load glx.

Are you guys able to load glx? I really don't want to ask my boss for $$ for a new graphics card, if that is the issue.

My other thought is to configure the machine so that I can boot using 32 bit Redhat, which will hopefully allow me to get my 3-D back. At this point,
3-D is more important to me than 64-bit.

My other gripe is that installing the 4499 drivers seemed to have wiped out my glx libraries that the nv driver was using. I'd even settle for falling back to nv if I could get glx going again.
msc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 12:27 PM   #8
beaner

Default hmmm

I'm using Mandrake on my own system. I wasn't able to install red-hat because it couldn't find my scsi hard drive and I didn''t feel like trying SuSe.

What Kernel are you using?
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-03, 05:41 PM   #9
otan

if i load glx on my machine it will crash, too.
I have dual opteron with one cpu and 2 GB Ram.
I have the Tyan Thunder K8W Board.
has anybody found something out to make it work??
cheers
o.
otan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 09:41 AM   #10
jsc1959

Im getting 3400 fps with a gentoo-amd64. Had problems with agp but a kernel patch was put together. GLX loads but is not really stable. I can run the game "billard" (3d billiard game) fairly well though with an ocassional lockup. But these are new boards and drivers will come. Good luck. Maybe search lkml.org for a patch? BTW using 2.6.0-test11 with agp patch done by gentoo-amd64..
jsc1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 02:21 PM   #11
otan

Hi jsc1959
which hardware do you use?
Do you have the Tyan K8W Board for the Opteron ?
I would be very thankfull to get some help or advise?
Currently i am using Suse 9.0 AMD64.
Like i said the nvidia driver runs fine as long i do not
load the glx module. If i do so the glx module causes
X11 to crash with a signal 11.
thank everyone in advance for help.
otan
otan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-03, 03:11 PM   #12
jsc1959

No, I have an MSI K8T Neo..Single cpu...just AMD-64 and not optetron. My video card is an 5700 Ultra. But it does the same thing with an ti4200 also.

I played around with different kernel config's to see if I could get it to work.

Like I said earlier Im using a 2.6.0 test-11 kernel with patches

Finally after

1. Do Not select IOMMU in processor features.
2. Compile agpgart and amd64-agpgart into the kernel and not as modules.
3. After kernel recompile is done just do the normal compiles for the nvidia driver and glx driver. Do not use "Option "NvidiaAGP" "1" in xf86config..2 or 3 is ok but doesnt make any difference.

Thats how I got mine working. Hope this helps.

attached is my kernel config...
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.txt (21.4 KB, 99 views)
jsc1959 is offline   Reply With Quote